Apple TV or something else

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a portable drive full of music and want to get this playing through my amp. Ideally I would like to be able to access this music through my phone whilst avoiding the need to download the music into my phone (iPhone) so the phone really just becomes the control interface. Can this be achieved with apple TV or will I need something like a Sonos.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you'd have to plug the hard drive into your PC and then the sonos or ATV could read the files and play through your amp.

The PC would have to be on for this though. A NAS works better for this as it works independently of a PC (just have to set it up with the PC) and is in standby waiting for the signal from the phone app.

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
If you get the iTunes Match service and an Apple TV then as long as you have reasonable broadband you don't need a NAS as all your music is matched and streamed from the cloud. It is simple and simply awesome :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
WD TV Live.

Similar size to the ATV, but with a USB slot. for external drives, usb sticks etc

It will also look at Media servers or network shares via Wi-Fi or ethernet.

It will play almost all formats too.

Netflix, Spotify built in.

About the same price. Far more functionality. Perhaps not as shiny, and no Apple logo.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
stuartayling said:
If you get the iTunes Match service and an Apple TV then as long as you have reasonable broadband you don't need a NAS as all your music is matched and streamed from the cloud. It is simple and simply awesome :)

... but low quality.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
fr0g said:
WD TV Live.

Similar size to the ATV, but with a USB slot. for external drives, usb sticks etc

It will also look at Media servers or network shares via Wi-Fi or ethernet.

It will play almost all formats too.

Netflix, Spotify built in.

About the same price. Far more functionality. Perhaps not as shiny, and no Apple logo.

This looked quite promising until I read the reviews. I forgot to mentioned that I have an airport extreme so thinking the ATV maybe worth the premium price tag.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
I'm pretty sure you'd have to plug the hard drive into your PC and then the sonos or ATV could read the files and play through your amp.

The PC would have to be on for this though. A NAS works better for this as it works independently of a PC (just have to set it up with the PC) and is in standby waiting for the signal from the phone app.

Looks like a NAS/ Sonos system might be the way forward. My friend has one and usability is excellent + it's the beginning of a wireless system for the home that I can expand upon later.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The ATV does not work as a media player, but more of a receiver, it will not work unless there is a device running an instance of iTunes and getting an iDevice to recognise a remote library can be tricky.

A Sonos would be the one to go for in this instance, but at £130 more, you could get a Mac mini, so storage and streamer in one package and if you wait for a refurb, you might get one at a similar price, but with more storage.

At least you know it would interact well with your other Apple hardware.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Synology also does a NAS that acts as a streamer, doesn't do gapless, but I believe it has a control app.

Some of the synology guys would be able to help you with this.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
The ATV does not work as a media player, but more of a receiver, it will not work unless there is a device running an instance of iTunes and getting an iDevice to recognise a remote library can be tricky.

A Sonos would be the one to go for in this instance, but at £130 more, you could get a Mac mini, so storage and streamer in one package and if you wait for a refurb, you might get one at a similar price, but with more storage.

At least you know it would interact well with your other Apple hardware.

I like the idea of storage and streamer in one package, the Mac mini sounds like the ideal scenario. Would I be able to control the mini from an iPhone or iPad?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts