Apple TV (3rd generation)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have 'retired' my (latest version) AirPort Express and replaced it with a 3rd generation Apple TV for AirPlay duties.

I had gradually come to notice a few downloads that suffered 'suppression' of hard vocal noises like some 'p' and 't' words. This wasn't happening with headphones (nor Bluetooth once I got to diagnosing this).

Also, very seldom - but still an annoying bug - was some rougher edges on certain female voices on older BBC R4 content. (Via iPlayer on AirPlay.)

I did some searching and came across a discussion on the Apple support site that covered the subject of 'dropouts' on latest version/latest software AirPort Express units that were optically connected to high quality DACs. Almost universally the situation was cured by swapping in an Apple TV in place of the AirPort Express.

With nothing to lose but my dropouts (and £59) I hot-footed it to John Lewis and procured me an ATV3. (Apple still sell them and my local JL has loads of 'em.)

Easy-peasy set-up (involving an HDMI lead for a few minutes) and it was all done.

I played about 90 minutes worth of all the 'usual suspects' (a few AudioBook downloads, old BBC iPlayer episodes that I knew had given trouble and it was all perfect! I couldn't replicate one single dropout or glitch.

I am going to stick the AirPort Express in the conservatory to extend the wi-fi network. No more AirPlay for that one!

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I replaced my ATV2 with an early ATV3 that did 1080p. It dropped out with my M-DAC so back it went to Apple.

In the meantime, I bought a Mac Mini so went from optical to USB with a slight increase in SQ. Apple were aware of the issue with dropouts over optical & quietly updated the ATV3. I bought one about a year ago - no dropouts!

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Chebby ,

Does the ATV3 have to be hardwired into the network to stream itunes ? I'm looking to add itunes/airplay to a 4th room wondering if I'd have to buy netplugs aswell.

Thx

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
Hi Chebby ,

Does the ATV3 have to be hardwired into the network to stream itunes ? I'm looking to add itunes/airplay to a 4th room wondering if I'd have to buy netplugs aswell.

Thx

works fine for me over Wi Fi

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
rgkg93 said:
i hate the apple tv, my advice.... switch for something else!

Well, I'm convinced. Your persuasive argument and explanation of the reasons made your advice that much more pertinent.

Sorry, Chebby. Your preference for the Apple ecosystem and almost exclusive use of Apple products just doesn't come into it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ID. said:
rgkg93 said:
i hate the apple tv, my advice.... switch for something else!

Well, I'm convinced. Your persuasive argument and explanation of the reasons made your advice that much more pertinent.

Sorry, Chebby. Your preference for the Apple ecosystem and almost exclusive use of Apple products just doesn't come into it.

When there is fault with an Apple device i'll tell it. (As my first post demonstrates.) It's been frustrating nailing what was really - at worst - a few tens of seconds - 1 minute per week of glitches on 'marginal' content. Some low bitrate iPlayer/iBook audiobook downloads (purchased because the unabridged CD versions didn't exist) and occasional old R4 programmes (played on BBC iPlayer Radio) on some loudly spoken female voices.

A £59 expenditure has sorted it out (at least on all the known problematic bits and a couple of bits from BBC R4 radio programmes that are still on iPlayer). So far, so good.

I'll bet there is many a CD collection out there that has more and worse 'glitches' than i've ever experienced, but the owner wouldn't dream of ditching their CD player. (Plenty who would spend more than £59 on cable to fix it though.)

The other alternative would be to change phone, tablet, computer, music library, base station etc. completely to Android devices and Bluetooth (a small fortune) just to avoid comment from an occasional passing troll!

I would also have to re-rip many hundreds of discs and lose much original content that can no longer be found on disc or download.

(You find Tom Stoppard's original, full-length, West End cast performance of 'Arcadia' (with Bill Nighy and Felicity Kendal) from BBC Radio 3 on 26th December 1993!)

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chebby, I have had the ATV 2,3 and now 4th Gen and never once had a problem with any of them.I use mine in a very similar way to you,Plus playing all my home video library.Currently have 2014 21.5" iMac and iPhone 6s plus. Have great wireless coverage throughout the house which helps.Hope you are still enjoying the Vena / AX-Two set up.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
RodhasGibson said:
Hi Chebby, I have had the ATV 2,3 and now 4th Gen and never once had a problem with any of them.I use mine in a very similar way to you,Plus playing all my home video library.Currently have 2014 21.5" iMac and iPhone 6s plus. Have great wireless coverage throughout the house which helps.Hope you are still enjoying the Vena / AX-Two set up.

I've just installed the retired AEX as purely a wireless extender for our wi-fi network (after a factory reset).

The Airport Extreme base station and the newly re-tasked AEX are now at opposite ends of our 21 foot living room and it's improved s/n ratio about 3 - 4 dBm everywhere in the house :) (iStumbler.)

It was already pretty good so I probably won't notice anything, but it has removed the urge to replace the Extreme base station for now.

daveh75

chebby said:
The other alternative would be to change phone, tablet, computer, music library, base station etc. completely to Android devices and Bluetooth (a small fortune) just to avoid comment from an occasional passing troll!

A little over dramatic don't you think?

Even if it was in response to aa spammer/troll...

I would also have to re-rip many hundreds of discs and lose much original content that can no longer be found on disc or download.

(You find Tom Stoppard's original, full-length, West End cast performance of 'Arcadia' (with Bill Nighy and Felicity Kendal) from BBC Radio 3 on 26th December 1993!)

Even if you were actually ridiculous enough to believe a complete wholesale change of 'ecosystem' was an alternative solution, why on earth would you have to re-rip or lose anything?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Out of interest I got a 1m Belkin HDMI for a fiver to connect up the ATV3 and try out the 'TV' part of it's job title.

Rather good so far. I think it's working at 720p from BBC iPlayer and ITV Player (wirelessly via AirPlay from my iPhone).

I've only watched a couple of things so far (Rhod Gilbert being a miner and a bit of ITV's 'Maigret') and it gives good quality on our 32" Panasonic.

I have the odd situation of choosing between two optical channels (on my Quad Vena) for sound from television (via AirPlay on an iOS device).

The choice made itself. One echoed with the Panasonic's own built in speakers (optical audio from ATV3) and the other didn't (optical audio from Panasonic TV).

That's pretty much what I expected but I needed to check.

I wish i'd got one of these ages ago :)

Good fun even though i'd never really intended to use the 'TV' part of an ATV3.

(And yes rgkg93, i'm sure there are better, cheaper, less "Apple'y" solutions that i'd be crazy to ignore but i'm happy thanks.)

Paul.

chebby said:
Out of interest I got a 1m Belkin HDMI for a fiver to connect up the ATV3 and try out the 'TV' part of it's job title.

Rather good so far. I think it's working at 720p from BBC iPlayer and ITV Player (wirelessly via AirPlay from my iPhone).

I've only watched a couple of things so far (Rhod Gilbert being a miner and a bit of ITV's 'Maigret') and it gives good quality on our 32" Panasonic.

I have the odd situation of choosing between two optical channels (on my Quad Vena) for sound from television (via AirPlay on an iOS device).

The choice made itself. One echoed with the Panasonic's own built in speakers (optical audio from ATV3) and the other didn't (optical audio from Panasonic TV).

That's pretty much what I expected but I needed to check.

I wish i'd got one of these ages ago :)

Good fun even though i'd never really intended to use the 'TV' part of an ATV3.

(And yes rgkg93, i'm sure there are better, cheaper, less "Apple'y" solutions that i'd be crazy to ignore but i'm happy thanks.)

if you log in to your Flickr account you can use your photos as a screensaver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts