Streaming to a Muso 2nd generation from Apple or Android?

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
I just ordered a Naim Muso 2nd generation speaker system. In one room it will replace a Sonos sound bar for music and TV. The wife uses Apple Music with Air Play 2 to stream to the Sonos. So I believe she can just carry on doing that exactly the same way to the Muso 2nd gen instead? Seems very convenient.

I use Android, so I don't have Air Play 2 available to me. Presently I use the Sonos Android app that's linked to our Apple Music account to stream to the Sonos sound bar. I actually can't find any information about streaming Apple Music from an Android device to a Muso 2nd gen. The assumption I have is that the Naim app I can download can link to my Apple Music account just like the Sonos app does? Is that correct or is there something else that I need to do to stream Apple Music via Android to the Muso?

Thanks for the help.

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
An expensive solution would be to use Roon.
Thanks, that's not going to happen then!

Doing a bit more Googling around this I discovered that Muso has Chromecast built in. In the event I can't borrow the wife's iPad for Air Play 2, I think Chromecast from Android device is possible. I want to avoid having something like Bluetooth being in between the music stream and the Muso. If I understand correctly, with both Air Play 2 and Chromecast results in the music streaming from Apple Music servers to the Muso without the iPad or Android device sitting between the music stream and the Muso. Do I have that right? That's how Sonos works. Muso will be similar?

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
Thanks, that's not going to happen then!

Doing a bit more Googling around this I discovered that Muso has Chromecast built in. In the event I can't borrow the wife's iPad for Air Play 2, I think Chromecast from Android device is possible. I want to avoid having something like Bluetooth being in between the music stream and the Muso. If I understand correctly, with both Air Play 2 and Chromecast results in the music streaming from Apple Music servers to the Muso without the iPad or Android device sitting between the music stream and the Muso. Do I have that right? That's how Sonos works. Muso will be similar?
Done a bit more research today on Air Play 2 and Chromecast which are both built in to Muso. So either is a better alternative than a Bluetooth connection from a tablet since via Air Play 2 or Chromecast the stream is from the Apple Music servers to the Muso without the tablet sitting in the middle. Thanks.

manicm

Done a bit more research today on Air Play 2 and Chromecast which are both built in to Muso. So either is a better alternative than a Bluetooth connection from a tablet since via Air Play 2 or Chromecast the stream is from the Apple Music servers to the Muso without the tablet sitting in the middle. Thanks.

Congratulations, yes forgot about Chromecast!

Reactions: JoeSoap

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
Well, took a day or two more than I anticipated. But I now have the Muso 2nd gen set up. It wasn't quite as seamless as I had hoped but it might have been me having not set up something using a combination of Google Home, Apple Music and the Naim app before. You need all three apps to set up the Muso. But only Google Home and Apple Music to use the thing. Once it's set up there appears to be no day to day use for the Naim app that I can see.

Mrs Soap set up her iPad too, similar kind of experience.

Once set up, the Muso works fine by Chromecast or Air Play 2 playing Apple Music.

I have to say that to my surprise, though the Naim does sound more musical than the Sonos Beam it replaced. It's definitely not the night and day improvement I expected. In fact until I enabled the feature in the Naim app for room location near a corner, the Sonos Beam sounded better. That feature in the Naim app made a big difference to how the Muso sounds.

So that's it, I have the Muso working with Chromecast. It sounds fine but perhaps not so much better than the Sonos Beam it replaced.

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
I only use the Naim app with mine.
There's no way that I can see in the Naim app to stream from Apple Music? I launch the Apple Music app, select the music I want, then at the bottom right where the play controls are, select "cast" and Chromecast plays the music on the Muso. Is there a way to do that on the Naim app? I can't see that there is. Thanks.

JS

TRENDING THREADS