Anyone spent time inside a Faraday cage?

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I heard once that it could be transformative for mental health, and sleep in particular. Does anyone work or exist inside one for any periods of time?

Also, wondering if there are any interesting/surprising man-made or naturally occurring places with these properties.

Reactions: JDL

Friesiansam

I heard once that it could be transformative for mental health, and sleep in particular. Does anyone work or exist inside one for any periods of time?

Also, wondering if there are any interesting/surprising man-made or naturally occurring places with these properties.
Should you get caught out in a electrical storm, a steel or aluminium bodied car will provide similar protection from lightning strikes. I've seen it demonstrated on the tellybox, using a hefty Van De Graaff generator.

Last edited:

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Ask Prof. Hannah Fry, she spent some time in one on her TV series :)
Which series was that?

I noticed a few people here enjoy her work. I'm a long-time fan: this forum is a good place for me :giggle:

I cannot imagine how one would have any effect on mental health or sleep.
Let's just say it's a topic that tends to garner interest on the fringes of science. But interestingly from two different camps: the holistic medicine space, and the world of silicon valley bro human productivity.

I can see how it might do, from a perspective of homeostasis - in the same way we still feel sound waves we cannot hear, I've often wondered if those low frequency waves were in some way unconsciously sensed by our bodies. If so, it can impact on how our internal system operates. (The system part being really important, as I'd imagine it would take some serious compounding before wifi messed with your Circadian rhythm in any meaningful way. But, I find the idea pretty fascinating.)

More importantly, we'd need a way to measure consciousness first. So my question is a long way off from having any kind of real answer.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Should you get caught out in a electrical storm, a steel or aluminium bodied car will provide similar protection from lightning strikes. I've seen it demonstrated on the tellybox, using a hefty Van De Graaff generator.
Ah yes. I suppose a car acts v much like a faraday cage in that regard?

Electricity is crazy. I really should have studied audio electronics like I planned to.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Which tells you everything you need to know.
spits-coffee-laughing.gif

They aren't, and there is enough carbon in the tyres to prevent that.
I would put forward Tesco Superstores as it is extremely difficult to get a phone signal in mine. :)
Down half of our village high street, which is approx 150 meters long, you totally lose internet signal.

The structure of a car is specifically designed to deflect lightening strikes.

View: https://youtu.be/ve6XGKZxYxA?si=-jweL29DGYSU5QzG

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
If a car is a true Faraday Cage then how come mobile phones work inside them?
Aah. Apparently if you're sitting in your car and suffer a lightning strike to the roof you are protected by a Faraday-cage 'effect'. The steel shell will conduct the charge through the external body shell, hopefully going safely to earth and not frying your electrics. Tyres are an insufficient insulator for such a high voltage charge. Unfortunately, if you've got the top down on your convertible it's pot luck 🤞:)

Last edited:
If a car is a true Faraday Cage then how come mobile phones work inside them?
They aren't - the metal in the structure just conducts electricity better than the inside, so grounds it. At least that's my understanding - a Faraday cage proper is about excluding electromagnetic fields, and the fact that it also insulates against electricity is a helpful side-effect.

Reactions: DougK1

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Reactions: Revolutions

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

Oh yeah, I just happen to have Faraday cage in my shed. Hee hee hee.
Seriously though it sounds like I'd better knock one up or pop down to Tesco's and buy one. I'm most definitely in need of one. 😂

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Oh yeah, I just happen to have Faraday cage in my shed. Hee hee hee.
Seriously though it sounds like I'd better knock one up or pop down to Tesco's and buy one. I'm most definitely in need of one. 😂
sleep better AND avoid nuclear fallout from the new world war that seems to be brewing.

TRENDING THREADS