Anyone Have Any Experience with an Onkyo 8050?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Looking to use one for background music, not audiophile, with four ceiling mounted speakers. From a $200 amp I'm not expecting Earth-shattering performance, just background music.

Anyone got any thoughts / ideas?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Looking to use one for background music, not audiophile, with four ceiling mounted speakers. From a $200 amp I'm not expecting Earth-shattering performance, just background music.

Anyone got any thoughts / ideas?

dona Google search of it on what hifi. There are numerous threads and there was quite a buzz about it on the forums a few years ago, all positive.

matthewpiano

If it is the TX-8050 you are asking about, I had one and liked it very much, to the point where I haven't ruled out having the latest version - the TX-8150. As a flexible, well featured and powerful system hub they are hard to beat and my memory of the sound is that it is a pretty neutral piece of kit with low distortion and a nice, open and natural sound.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys.

Just ordered one and it should be here Wednesday. Wife's away for a long weekend next weekend so I'll be fitting the ceiling speakers while she's away. The house was pre-wired for ceiling speakers in the living room (4), dining room (2) and covered patio (2 more) so I'll be using the amp itself to drive the first 4, then power amp(s) to drive the others. Might switch that around later, drive the 4 in the living room off a modest power amp and the dining room and patio as Zones A and B, don't know yet, but that might make more sense. It's all for background music downstairs, not lights out, wife and kids away listening intently mode, so it should be good. Hopefully the network streaming is up to snuff too, otherwise I'll be plugging in a portable HDD into the USB socket. Speakers will be Yamaha NS-IC800 concentric 2-way 50 watt RMS as I happen to have 2 pairs sitting around. They can be improved upon later if necessary.

US$229, no sales tax, free shipping. What could possibly go wrong.....

TRENDING THREADS