Anyone got and old kits still running?

A

Anonymous

I was just curious to see if anyone still has anything old running. In the living room my dad has:

Castle Harlech, Audiolab 8000cd, 8000a, 8000px.

After about 18 years it is still doing sterling service apart from the castles have lost their badges after i drove a racing car into both of them when i was a child.

matthewpiano

I still have various bits of older kit that, while not in daily use, still work perfectly. These include:

Sansui AU-2200 amp

Sansui AU-4400 amp

Sansui AU-D5 amp

Marantz CD63SE CD player

Rotel RCD965BX CD player

Philips CD840 CD player

KEF C30 speakers

Technics RX-BX501 cassette deck

Yamaha KX-480 cassette deck

I've had one or two things that have died on me, most notably:

Kenwood KA-3020SE amp

Marantz CD-52MkII cd player

A

Anonymous

Very nice, we also have some old KEF bookshelf speakers, (gonna be honest no idea which ones) but they too are about 20 years old and are being used as the 2 rear channels in a 5.1 set up with the castles being used as the front 2 channels. With a canon (as in cameras) centre speaker and a REL Q400 sub

matthewpiano

I remember Canon speakers. Some of them looked a bit like mushrooms - the S35, for example!

Of course, whilst Canon branded speakers are no longer made, the company does own the French speaker manufacturer Cabasse.

A

Anonymous

Ah yes they do don't they, haha, well this is just your convential centre speaker really and is now embarassingly cheap on ebay. And i never knew that canon owned cabasse. I see they havent given up on their theme of odd shapes. The only one i knew was the partnership of Denon and Marantz (D and M holdings) and they own Boston Acoustics. The only reason i knew that is because i have the bostons in my rooom.

A

Anonymous

Very nice, it seems that philips CD players are proving to be popular so far. I once had a philips DVD player that died to due having a rather hot Xbox sat on top of it.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My speakers, PMC LB1's are 20 years old, sat on the original 30 year old pre-production 'Foundation Designer Stands' . . . the stands are not likely to die on me . . . I'm not in a hurry to replace the PMC's, when and if they need repair, hopefully PMC will still be around to assist?

My whole analogue system is based on 80's thinking and technology with no frills, even the interconnects are 30 years old and the speaker cable design goes back to those days. Still available today, Linn K20 is an excellent speaker cable at a budget price, long may it continue.

CJSF

chris88 said:
I was just curious to see if anyone still has anything old running. In the living room my dad has:

Castle Harlech, Audiolab 8000cd, 8000a, 8000px.

After about 18 years it is still doing sterling service apart from the castles have lost their badges after i drove a racing car into both of them when i was a child.

Hi chris88

Pioneer A-400 and Marantz CDA-94 :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thats brilliant i am glad to hear you are getting plenty of enjoyment out of it :) You can tell that british hi - fi of the 80s and 90s was built to last.

A

Anonymous

[/quote]

Hi chris88

Pioneer A-400 and Marantz CDA-94 :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

[/quote]

Very nice indeed! what speakers do you have??

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I still run into a lot of my old gear in relatives and friend's homes.

Old Mordaunt Short Carnival II speakers, NAD 3020 amp, KEF Q35.2 speakers, Yamaha cassette deck, a Dual CS505-2 and other sundry bits & bobs like old Roberts radios.

The only 'old' gear I still have is a pair of circa 1998 MS20i Pearl Edition speakers, in their box under the stairs.

A

Anonymous

Does the Yamaha cassette deck still ever get used, we have a JVC cassette deck and tuner that are about 30 years old now but still perform very well, especially the tuner.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The couple of bits I currently have working but not in everyday use are

Pioneer Sa-7800 - 1979
Marantz cd-40 - late 80's I think
Pioneer CT??9 - late 80's again I think
Pioneer A400
Arcam Delta 290 - early 90's
Kef - cresta 1's
and in the loft (not sure why) but still working Wharfedale Laser 120's lol

A

Anonymous

eggontoast said:
The couple of bits I currently have working but not in everyday use are Pioneer Sa-7800 - 1979 Marantz cd-40 - late 80's I think Pioneer CT??9 - late 80's again I think Pioneer A400 Arcam Delta 290 - early 90's

Wow all of the kit is older than me and the Arcam is approximately the same age. Thats the integrated amplifier isnt it?

A

Anonymous

My Yamaha CA1000 is from 1974/75 ish and sounds fantastic

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Still in working order and used regularly, though not by me:

Technics SB 501 speakers 1974

Nakamichi DT600 1974/5

Used by me:

Technics SL10 Linear track Turntable 1981

They all vastly outperformed other products at the time of their release and for years afterwards.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
chris88 said:
Wow all of the kit is older than me and the Arcam is approximately the same age. Thats the integrated amplifier isnt it?
Yes it's an integrated........actually it's a great integrated amplifier, IMO it sounds better than the A85 I have been running for the last couple of weeks.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really got much old kit apart from an EMT 930 record player, Pioneer SF-700 active crossover, Bozak Symphony speakers and the NOS GEC valves in my Coincident Frankenstein amp in the upstairs system and the Creek CAS4040 amp and EV Sentry III speakers for the AV system and the EMT 950 record player with EV Patrician 800 speakers which are soon to be joined by a pair of Urei 6290 amps downstairs. Oh, and Linn Saras for the kitchen as well as my old LP12 and Linn Isobariks that I must get round to selling one day.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My old kit consists of:

A&R A60
Sony Car Discman (portable CDP)
Sony TCK 4A Cassette Deck
Celestion SL6 (original model - had the first ever metal dome tweeter)
Linn Kairn/LK100
Linn Karik/Numerik
Monitor Audio R852

Recently sold an old Rega Planar 3 from circa 1982

Stiil have a Marantz FM tuner (circa 1976) still working on a daily basis with my current set-up (no doubt the reverents will be yawning by this time). In the attic I have a Garrard B20 turntable with a Ortofon cart FF15E; Wharfedale E20 speakers from around 1977; Rotel RCD 975 CDP from the mid 90s.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi all I am still running my mission 752s and up untill mid dec2011 I was still running my audiolab 8000a 8000px and a marantz 17ki sig my brother has still got a philips cd 104 not sure if he still uses it though (1982/1983):cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts