Anybody Know the Best Free software for converting dvds straight into MP4 files for psp i pod etc

moomin

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
I Was wondering if anybody knows any free software i can download ,i.e like CuCu software which i can put a Dvd into my pc and it will convert it straight into mp4 file which i can then drag that file straight across to my psp / i pod etc

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Just a reminder that it's illegal to make copies of any shop-bought DVD, under copyright law. A growing number of Blu-ray discs, incidentally, including a digital copy for download to your computer/portable.

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Just a reminder that it's illegal to make copies of any shop-bought DVD, under copyright law. A growing number of Blu-ray discs, incidentally, including a digital copy for download to your computer/portable.

even if it is not being 'shared'? so when i buy a dvd, with my money and leagally, i cant make a copy to another format for me to enjoy on another device? or is it only illegal if the copy is being given to a third party?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, any copying - even for your own use - is illegal, as DVDs contain copyright-protection software.

(Unlike, say, CDs - which by the letter of the law it's still illegal to copy, but industry bodies such as the IFPI have stated on record is acceptable if you're making a back-up for your own personal use).

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
well, i cant see how it is illegal unless he is sharing the copy with another person.

so i reccommend DVDfab platinum (4). it copies dvd's to any format including for use on iphones, psp's ect. not sure if it free though tbh, and is the only one i have used.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's because it's illegal, under copyright law, to circumvent copyright-protection systems of any kind, for any purpose.

I don't set these rules, just conveying the legalities
emotion-15.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Do all DVDs and Blurays have "copyright protection systems"? Mind, i may have missinterpreted that phrase. I took it to mean some sort of protection encoded into the disc...?

Are you saying, clare, that blurays give you the ability to download the film free? Does this only work via bluray live or can you do it on a pc?*

*Sorry, ive just reread your post and think i get iot, but if you can expand at all just to make it crydtal clear for the numpties that'd be great.

idc

al7478:

..... make it crydtal clear for the numpties that'd be great.

Me numpty too. So Apple incorporating a means of importing CDs onto itunes is a technical breach of copyright? No wonder people get confused and slip up.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
There's a really good explanation of the bonus digital copies of films here on Amazon.com. It's a PC/PlayStation-driven feature, not BD Live - and it's a feature of DVDs as well as Blu-ray discs. A range of major studios are supporting it, too.

I've seen more US releases with bonus digital copies than UK ones, sadly, but it's starting to appear - for example, the forthcoming Watchmen Blu-ray special edition will feature it...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thankyou Clare.

I do understand the illegality to be fair, folks. I undertsand the problem people have with it too, but as Clare said, she's just reprting the facts.

I too laboured under the missaprehension for some years that copying CDs was ok. It seems copying films is, er, even less ok.

Like the twighlight zone, innit?

EDIT - Sorry, was i right about the discs being encoded with some copyrigth gubbins?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
idc:

Me numpty too. So Apple incorporating a means of importing CDs onto itunes is a technical breach of copyright? No wonder people get confused and slip up.

yes, technically it's a breach of copyright. HOWEVER, as CDs do not contain copyright protection systems - and because organisations like the IFPI realise it would be unenforceable to police - it's fine to make copies of CDs you already own FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE. It's when you get into sharing that you get into trouble....

DVDs and Blu-ray is a whole different world of copyright complexity, thanks to Macrovision Ripguard technology, which prevents many (though not all....) discs being copied, unless you use software specifically designed to circumvent that copyright system.

We've had many chats with studio heads and industry bodies about these confusing complexities over the years, but it's no nearer getting solved - and with digital downloads/streaming/HD TV on the ascendance, who's to say it ever will.....

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:HOWEVER, as CDs do not contain copyright protection systems - and because organisations like the IFPI realise it would be unenforceable to police - it's fine to make copies of CDs you already own FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE. It's when you get into sharing that you get into trouble

Some CDs do contain copyright protection systems.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
in general copying any copyrighted material in this country is illegal unless the agreement granted to you by the copyright holder allows you to.

circumnavigating copy protection system (or any security system) is also illegal.

technically it's possible to duplicate a DVD/bluray without circumnavigating the copy protection (you can duplicate that too) but you are probably then in breach of copyright.

It should also be noted that sharing includes lending.

idc

I understand that the assumption is that everything is copyrighted unless otherwise stated, but it soon becomes a nonsense......

This post is copyrighted to 'idc+drivel productions' and any copying, lending or digital manipulation will be considered a breach of copyright and will result in you being hunted down and forced to hand over wads of cash.

John Duncan

idc:
I understand that the assumption is that everything is copyrighted unless otherwise stated, but it soon becomes a nonsense......

This post is copyrighted to 'idc+drivel productions' and any copying, lending or digital manipulation will be considered a breach of copyright and will result in you being hunted down and forced to hand over wads of cash.

Actually, you agreed to this Term and Condition on signing up:

"You hereby waive all of the moral rights that you have under Chapter IV of the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988 in respect of any material you submit, post, upload, email or otherwise transmit to Haymarket or to the Site."

Sorry bud.....

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
What if you just want to email them without signing up? Be interesting how enforceable these things are when it reallty comes down to it...

Oh, and i think you'll find someome more or less already said that, Mr "I Work Here"
emotion-5.gif

idc

JohnDuncan:idc:

Actually, you agreed to this Term and Condition on signing up: "You hereby waive all of the moral rights that you have under Chapter IV of the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988 in respect of any material you submit, post, upload, email or otherwise transmit to Haymarket or to the Site." Sorry bud.....

Outrage, my moral rights now belong to Michael Hesiltine!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts