Anyone know any free software....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All

I'm wanting to convert all of my DVDs to a single file format, which can then be plugged into my WDTV.

A lot of the times the DVD vob files wont play correctly on the WDTV, so converting them to a single file like a 700mb avi file.

I have downloaded a few, but none seem to be compatible with the WDTV.

Thanks

S

A

Anonymous

www.handbrake.fr

resultant files will even play on apple products e.g. ipod touch etc

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
For all my audio and video needs I use AVS. It costs a silly amount (£30) for ALL their software and lifetime upgrade. Its the ONLY video editing program Ive found to work with AVCHD and their audio software is great too. customer support is excellent. No brainer for me.And changing to different PC no problem

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Although yet again copying DVDs in this manner is illegal in the UK.

Valid point Andrew. I should point out however that handbrake is a free video file converter not a dvd ripper (e.g. Slysoft's AnyDVD), which as you correctly point out the use of which (but not purchase I believe)) is illegal in the UK.

For those of use trying to build home entertainment servers to allow us to access movies we have purchased around the home it is a bit of a conundrum.

Thankfully the film industry is beginning to recognise the problem with the inclusion of digital copies of film occasionally being bundled with the disc

sc1

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
Assuming you have a dvd decrypter (e.g. dvd43 is a free one) it depends if size matters. Using dvdshrink (again free) you can rip the dvds as ISO files which will play on the wdtv. You can vary the size of the compression from none to very small files, but you will lose quality. You can also choose to only rip the main film and main soundtrack rather than all menus, extras etc. If for example you have a large hard disk to store the media you could do it with very little compression and loss of quality. The ISO files though will not then play natively on apple or sony players like apple tv, ipad or ps3. It tends to be much quicker than handbrake but is not as flexible.

Wightknight

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
shanej66:
Thankfully the film industry is beginning to recognise the problem with the inclusion of digital copies of film occasionally being bundled with the disc

Sadly, the digital copies provided are still very restricted. The DRM will often only allow them to be played on the PC used to activate them. Also, some of the recent Warner Brothers files are time limited so you only get the opportunity to use them for a few months. Still, things are slowly moving in the right direction . . . . .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts