Help required - complete novice and Sonos!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Morning everyone!

I need some basic assistance (or an idiots guide) as my Sonos gear is about to arrive...

1 X Sonos Zone Bridge BR100

2 X Sonos ZPS5 Players

1 X Buffalo NAS 1TB

That was the easy bit (buying it...) now comes the bit which has me so confused I'm wondering if I will ever sort it...

I need to convert my CD collection to digital music, using iTunes (I guess?)

Questions therefore are:

1) what format do I need to import the CD's in? (MP4, MP3, Apple lossless etc etc etc)

2) If I import them straight onto my PC first (NAS arrives in a few days) can I then move them across easily?

We have 2 iPhone's in the house, and whilst we don't have them stacked with music, how do these fit into the equation? (i.e. what files does iPhone need the music in?)

I'm about 99% ready to invest in an iMac (fed up with lousy PC's) and have an iPad coming aswell, as this will be useful when I travel with work, but also handy as the Sonos controller

The idea is to end up with Sonos everywhere in the house, but that can't happen until I have worked out how to make it all work in the first place!

Any suggestions/pointers would be greatfully received, but please remember I am somewhat confused already, so try and keep it simple for me!! (ha ha!)

Thanks in anticipation

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
peetbarker:
Morning everyone!

I need some basic assistance (or an idiots guide) as my Sonos gear is about to arrive...

1 X Sonos Zone Bridge BR100

2 X Sonos ZPS5 Players

1 X Buffalo NAS 1TB

That was the easy bit (buying it...) now comes the bit which has me so confused I'm wondering if I will ever sort it...

I need to convert my CD collection to digital music, using iTunes (I guess?)

That's up to you really, there's plenty of other options but all things considered that might be the easiest thing to do.

1) what format do I need to import the CD's in? (MP4, MP3, Apple lossless etc etc etc)

You have enough storage to go for lossless, so there's no reason why not.

2) If I import them straight onto my PC first (NAS arrives in a few days) can I then move them across easily?

Yes, I believe iTunes has a facility to move a music library (I don't use it myself).

We have 2 iPhone's in the house, and whilst we don't have them stacked with music, how do these fit into the equation? (i.e. what files does iPhone need the music in?)

the iPhone can play Apple Lossless, however when syncing the iPhone to iTunes you can tell iTunes to convert to a compressed format to take up less space on the iPhone if you wish.

I'm about 99% ready to invest in an iMac (fed up with lousy PC's) and have an iPad coming aswell, as this will be useful when I travel with work, but also handy as the Sonos controller

Don't forget there's also a Sonos controller app for the iPhone/Touch, which might be handy if someone is hogging the iPad...

Any suggestions/pointers would be greatfully received, but please remember I am somewhat confused already, so try and keep it simple for me!! (ha ha!)

Presumably you've bought the zonebridge to plug into your router, leaving the S5s free to be moved around the house? Sounds like a good plan.

A

Anonymous

Thanks

Other kit in the house is a PS3 with upgraded HDD (500GB) a Panasonic TX42G10B in the Kitchen, an old Sony 32" LCD in the living room, with Sky + and a Pioneer DVR 550HX

My 'Hi Fi' is an ageing Denon system, with B&O speakers.

The plan is to 'scrap' this, and have the Sonos instead, as it takes up less space and has the advantage of being more portable!

I have the Sonos controller App installed on the iPhone, so no issues there!

The biggest issue I guess is time.. Apple lossless is going to take ages to transfer the CD collection! Ho hum, I only have to do it once eh?!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
peetbarker:The biggest issue I guess is time.. Apple lossless is going to take ages to transfer the CD collection!

Not really, the ripping itself won't be any slower, there'll be a little more time to copy everything to the NAS once it turns up but nothing ridiculous.

The point is, if you rip to ALAC you can then convert to any format you want, if you rip straight to MP4 you're losing fidelity (quality) in the music tracks and you can't get that back once you've done it, unless you rip from CD again.

Really, you're not gaining anything by going to MP4, ALAC is the sensible choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts