RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Just interested. Can anyone quote recommendations from manufacturers about cables (speaker, mains or signal/source etc.). Except ofcourse those recommending their own brand.

If this becomes the usual debate then hopefully the thread will disappear.

Non of my kit had any recommendations whatsoever. Even speaker positioning (etc) recommendations were vague. Apart from a mains lead non of my kit came with leads (or maybe hdmi with bd player and tv?) and no further suggestions.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
unless I'm reading it wrong, it's not about Robins kit per se, but he is just wondering if any hifi kit manufacturers will basically tout a certain cable brand for their system.

Only problem with that, is a lot of the time it's just a monetary deal, kind of like when Whirpool or whatever say Ariel is the best washing liquid.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Indeed CB. Without opening the really overcooked cable argument I wondered if any manufacturer says 'Our speakers/amp/tv etc will perform better if you use a better cable/different connect than the one in the box'. When asked why manufacturers dont supply 'good' cables or better terminals etc., the answer is usually cost. But it costs nothing to advise people to use Aerial in their washing machine - though clearly there is a financial element here.

My question is do any manufacturers provide advice on the setup or connection of equipment.beyond basic speaker placement?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
As I thought? Manufacturers of amps, players, dacs, speakers etc see no advantages in using particular or 'special' cables or interconnects to make the best of their kit. And therefore no 'washing machine/powder' endorsements with obvious financial implications. In itself interesting?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Cambridge audio doesn't supply any interconnects with any of their equipment as they feel that the free ones most other companies supply are of poor quality and wouldn't allow you to hear the equipment at its best.

It then recommends that you speak to your local dealer ( probably richer sound's ) to purchase the best cable ( usually from their own range ) for the system you will be using it in.

*music2*

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
@macd &cno - 'FOUL' !

I wished to ignore those brands selling their own cables..They clearly have a financial benefit from flogging their own.

Any others offering specific or general recommendations?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
@macd &cno - 'FOUL' !

I wished to ignore those brands selling their own cables..They clearly have a financial benefit from flogging their own.

Any others offering specific or general recommendations?

I thought you might say that.....Linn "throw in" the more expensive Silver Cable with their Klimax range and given the cost of their kit, the Silver is "modestly" priced (compared to say, Naim's Super Lumina).

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Cheers Cno. So Linn spend around 1-2% (?) on cables in their exotic kit. Bargain. And no doubt Linn recommend their own cable for all their kit.

No other takers yet tho?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...unlike white-goods manufacturers, it's unusual for HiFi manufacturers to recommend the use of other manufacturers' "peripherals". Not cables, but I remember we had a Sharp VCR that recommended Scotch tapes in the manual, and most cassette decks I've ever bought have usually been tuned with the bias pre-set for TDK tapes (often said as such in the manual). Those turntable and tonearm manufacturers who don't make or brand their own carts presumably fine-tune the design of their equipment by listening to it / measuring it with certain brands or models; do they give named recommendations in their literature? I've not bought a new TT since the days when you could go see Elvis live in concert.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Cheers Cno. So Linn spend around 1-2% (?) on cables in their exotic kit. Bargain. And no doubt Linn recommend their own cable for all their kit.

More like 0.5-1%.....except if you buy the kit, they "give" you the cables, so cost nothing extra.

I would tell you how good the Linn Silver is, but you wouldn't believe me, so I won't. *smile*

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Awww. Go on Cno!

Yes Major. TDK were recommended although I think a couple of alternatives were on offer. So they wanted users to get the best from their decks. Best to use chrome tapes etc. But good scientific evidence/measurements were available to support these recommendations.

All this kinda supports my suggestion that amp/speaker/digital (etc) manufacturers see little added value in 'connector products' or other 'enhancement products'.

Maybe someone will show otherwise?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
PS Major. FOUL again.. Cassette tape formulation and cartridges will clearly have very different characteristics and they are not cables nor connectors. TDK SAX were superb tapes tho.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
All this kinda supports my suggestion that amp/speaker/digital (etc) manufacturers see little added value in 'connector products' or other 'enhancement products'.

Maybe someone will show otherwise?

Go to any hifi show and you'll see a whole variety of exotica connecting up the systems being promoted by the manufacturers.

Naim designed their (Super Lumina) £1800 I/C and £1800/3M S/C specifically for their Statement Amp....pity, as it would all seem to be a big waste of effort!

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Sorry Cno. Not foul but yellow card maybe. Naim equipment and Naim interconnects not allowed.

Not been to a show recently but is this marketing? Do the exhibitors actively endorse the cables used? I need to consult the linesman (cableguy) on this one. Offside methinks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Sorry Cno. Not foul but yellow card maybe. Naim equipment and Naim interconnects not allowed.

Not been to a show recently but is this marketing? Do the exhibitors actively endorse the cables used? I need to consult the linesman (cableguy) on this one. Offside methinks.

I can see I need my own game, where I make up the rules. *diablo*

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Yamaha suggest different wire guage for different lenghts (dependant on ls impwdance). Monitor Audio suggest biwire.is an advantage..Sonus Faber - could find nothing. No mention of silver/copper or anything else so far.

Anyone?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Yamaha suggest different wire guage for different lenghts (dependant on ls impwdance). Monitor Audio suggest biwire.is an advantage..Sonus Faber - could find nothing. No mention of silver/copper or anything else so far.

Anyone?

Sonus Faber made YTER cable for their speakers.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Feeling anally challenged now.

YTER a tad expensive.

Tablet refuses to copy/paste.here - B&W, SF and Dali suggest (kinda) try a few different cables but only vague advice. Homage to their bedfellows?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Bored with my own thread, Conclusions from my limited.research ....

For companies NOT recommending/endorsing their own cables/connects -

Electronics companies (Yamaha, Onkyo) have no references to cabling.

Speaker manufacturers (B&W, MA, SF, MS) suggest cables can have an effect on sound but dont indicate its size, scale or importance. They make no reference to materials nor construction but some advise 'suck it & see'. Most refer to positioning and room acoustics as being very significant. None give any scientific evidence nor explaination nor any differences which might be found.

Conclusions?

No body really knows or really cares?

PS - B&W seem most informative. Advising a 10-15% spend on connectors.. They say cables have no individual sound but interact differently with different electronics. Fudge

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Conclusions about Hifi companys using their own "better" cables depend on one's own perspective.

If you think cables make a difference, it is quite feasible to believe that a Hifi company would want to maximize their kit.

If you are a cable sceptic, you will take the view that it simply a cynical money making excercise.

At the end of the day, everybody think they know best....and spend far too much time arguing about bl**dy cables.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
My rules Cno. :)

I have excluded speaker/electronics companies making/marketing their own cables. Clearly they have a financial incentive.

I also have tried to avoid any arguments - Im also fed up with those. I have simply asked for help in identifying the opinions of the manufacturers of boxes which inevitably need connections between them. I would have hoped that (in my case) MS and Yamaha would be able to guide me in order to get the best out of their products.

It appears that few are willing to give such advice which leads me to my conclusions.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
And do any companies supply cabling/connectors other than the average stock offerings? (Not counting their own brand). If not then these companies cant believe they make much difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts