admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to improve my current Hifi system?

It currently comprises of a Roksan Kandy Mk111 CD player and the matching Amp with a pair of Quad 11L speakers on Partington Super-dreadnoughts.

I use QED Silver Anniversary wire and have the DNM reson bullet plugs for interconnect.

I have a decent size square room with wooden floor boards and I listen to most kinds of music.

The problem I have is that this system should really be amazing but, something is missing! You have to crank it up really loud to get it singing and then its on the verge of being too loud to listen to it comfortably.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas? Do I need a carpeted room or are the speakers not good enough for the rest of the system.

I just really want a system that when someone sings the sound envelopes you and you can almost feel the emotion if the words (true hifi I guess!).

Any help would be appreciated, be gentle though as its my 1st post and I've been a regular reader for over 8 yrs now!

Cheers!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Is the rest of the room pretty bare, or fairly well-furnished? Could be that the room is too lively, and that the sound just gets muddled at the kind of levels at which the system starts to come on song. Some gentle deadening of the room might help no end - a thickish rug between you and and speakers might be a good start...

Oh, and to quote John McClane, "Welcome to the party, pal"

A

Anonymous

No the room is very modern with very little else in it (imagine an Ikea advert!).

I think it may well be the speakers but I'm open to suggestions!

A

Anonymous

I have the hifi in the opposite me and I have a thick rug on the wooden floor inbetween me and the hifi.

I have two sofas in the room and and a table, thats about it!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,

In short, it seems your Roksan combo is capable of more than the Quads can offer.

We'd suggest a straight swap for some new, higher-end standmounts - keeping hold of your excellent Partington stands.

Three options you should audition are the ATC SCM11s (£850), though these are ultra-revealing and can expose poor recordings; Jamo's excellent C803s (£700), which are effortlessly musical and a really enjoyable listen; and the Opera Mezza (£600), another involving listen.

A

Anonymous

I really love the way the Quad's sound with voices and would like just a bit better bass and soundstaging. Obviously they look great as well.

Any ideas of better speakers? Would the B&W 805S be too much of a leap or am I better with floor standers?

God, this gets so confusing trying to go after the Hifi holy grail!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It might be worth having a listen to the larger Quad floorstanders if you like the sound of your existing speakers. Or - and this a rather radical idea - consider a small but musical subwoofer such as one of the little MJ Acoustics models, run with a speaker-level connection in parallel with your existing Quads.

That'll certainly give you extra, controllable bass, and I've found a decent sub can also have the effect of firming up imaging, too.

A

Anonymous

Any thoughts on the B&W speakers?

Or which Quad floor standers would be best?

Regards!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
You are using Kandy with Quad???!!!! Are you trying to save your electric bill or something! (bright enough to lit the whole street)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts