admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have the following set up on a 4 shelf AVI rack:

Pioneer KRP-500M 50" plasma on the top shelf

B&W HTM61 centre speaker on the shelf below that

Yamaha RX-V3900 amp and Sony PS3 on the next shelf down

Denon dvd-2500BT blu-ray player and sky-HD box on the bottom shelf.

All power is fed via a tacima mains conditioner and all connections are hdmi using QED leads.

Everything is fed through the amp to the screen.

I noticed that the screen shows a lot of "noise". This is especially highlighted on scene 6 of The Matrix on blu-ray where Neo is being interviewed by Smith. The walls of the interview room look like they are crawling with millions of tiny maggots.

If I turn on full noise reduction on the player and the screen, the effect goes away and the texture of the blockwork of the walls is clearly visible.

Obviously some noise is to be expected - otherwise there wouldn't be noise reduction facilities in the equipment, but what might be causing this and how might I reduce it?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
don't have a blu-ray, but I've only noticed that on The Shield on DVD, and put it down to a bad transfer. Are you noticing it on other stuff? How close are you sitting?

A

Anonymous

I'm sure its noise because the noise reduction settings get rid of it. I do see it when watching Sky, but it doesn't seem quite as bad

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Have you 'calibrated' the set, using something like the THX Optomiser on some DVDs/BDs, such as Star Wars, Pixar etc?

If you haven't really tweaked the settings, then the default ones can look quite noisy (especially if on a Vivid or similar setting).

This article might help.

A

Anonymous

walnut:I'm sure its noise because the noise reduction settings get rid of it. I do see it when watching Sky, but it doesn't seem quite as bad

Hi,ÿ

The TV's noise reduction (or the player's) would also remove film grain.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Put it down to "dumb user"! - The connection to the screen ws only partially made - pushing the connector in properly has resolved the problem.

TRENDING THREADS