Anthem MRX 710 - Anybody heard it yet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

theflyingwasp

Excellent! Shame the monitor audio apex don't drop in price or the stands :)

buzz_lightclick

theflyingwasp said:
Excellent! Shame the monitor audio apex don't drop in price or the stands :)

Ring around the various dealers for offers on the Apex, I got a good deal from Quantumn AV. The stands occasionally appear on eBay or Sevenoaks ex display etc, I got one set from eBay and another set from AV Forums classifieds.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
In any event, I didn't suggest there was any ill feeling, simply that at one time your employer was (due to be) selling KK products and now you are not. I don't see that you can argue that you were frequently lauding and recommending the products when you and your employer had a financial interest in sales, whereas you haven't mentioned them once since. You've even removed the historic reference to your 'kick ass' speaker system. The inevitable conclusion is that either you were recommending them when they weren't actually that good or that now, despite being good, you are refusing to recommend them due to the lack of commercial gain in doing so.
As the European distributor is now handling all sales into the UK, it is now up to them to promote the brand - I'd be crazy to do that for them! (Although I did, for the 15 months that we had the brand, which outsold both M&K and MK Sound when we had those). Various people have been in touch with me asking for more details about the brand - in fact, I've been dealing with one particular guy over the last few weeks, who is about to order a Quattro LCR set from the distributor. I have no financial gain there, so what is my motivation?

And let's not forget the emails I get from Australia, Europe, Asia, America, Canada etc, from people asking my advice with regards to their systems. I can't sell them anything - so again, I ask you, what's my motivation there?

I still own my kick ass speaker system, and yes, it is still kick ass.

Somebody else asked me about my signature after I removed it ages ago. I believe I said that it doesn't matter what I use.

It comes as no surprise or secret, that I tend to talk about stuff on forums that I think are particularly good, and also some that are not quite as good, if it is suitable for the situation.

Either way, it demonstrates you recommendations are motivated by financial self-interest and not a desire to help the recommendee.
You know what, you're right. I drive home from work in a Lamborghini Aventador (thinking of trading it in for a Veneno), park it on the drive with my other five cars next to the fountain. I close the doors to my Wayne Manor-esque stately home and shut the world out, sometimes spend a few hours in my private gym and sauna before retiring to the master bedroom in the East wing.

Really, if you think there's any worthwhile financial gain whatsoever in what I do, I'll happily swap places with you.

As I have done before, I'll ask again - if anyone who has dealt with me before has ever felt pressured in any way after they've got in touch with me, feel free to speak up and give Ben some weight to his argument.

David never pressurised me into buying anything despite me having a relatively extensive demo of equipments he set up for me when I visited Coventry. Actually, he never asked me if I was even planning to buy anything, nor did he recommend any one product over other.

T

theflyingwasp

Hey david

Im going into this surround sound setup thing pretty much braindead .my home cinema room is 5x5m .i am at some point this year buying either the pioneer lx87,yamaha a3030, or the new anthem 710 with the monitor audio apex set up after all the amazing reviews and the monitor audio apex thread.(id like it sooner but i am currently putting most of apples staffs kids through college). :)

Will those 3receivers sound totaly diffrent? Id feel a wee bit of a pain in ass asking people like yourself to set all that up 3 times at 7.1 just for a demo.

I am still leaning towards the pioneer?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Hey david

Im going into this surround sound setup thing pretty much braindead .my home cinema room is 5x5m .i am at some point this year buying either the pioneer lx87,yamaha a3030, or the new anthem 710 with the monitor audio apex set up after all the amazing reviews and the monitor audio apex thread.(id like it sooner but i am currently putting most of apples staffs kids through college). :)

Will those 3receivers sound totaly diffrent? Id feel a wee bit of a pain in ass asking people like yourself to set all that up 3 times at 7.1 just for a demo.

I am still leaning towards the pioneer?

The LX87 and the MRX710 do sound similar in a tonal sense as they're a little more forward sounding than average, so do come across as more detailed (albeit a little bright/harsh to some). The Pioneer is fine for those buying a package like Apex where all speakers will usually work on the same crossover point when set to small (independent crossover points cannot be set). The Anthem allows independent crossover points, so is a better choice for those using a typical system (floorstanding fronts, smaller centre, and even smaller rears), and while Pioneer's MCACC EQ is very good, Anthem's ARC is more in depth and covers a wider bandwidth - plus you can set an upper level of EQ too, so you can choose not to EQ higher frequencies from a point chosen by you. The Anthem is great for those with awkward rooms, and will EQ down to 16Hz.

The Yamaha is more laid back, and will suit those that don't like a forward sound, or those that have brighter speakers they need to tame. I do still feel that the Yamaha's soundfields are superior and involve you a little more, but that is just a preference on my part, and is something that doesn't bother most people. Again, the Yamaha has the set up flexibility of the Anthem, and EQ's down to 31Hz.

A demo is always recommended. It can be tricky comparing three AV receivers as you have to run the EQ for each one before listening to them (although I suppose you could do this before the demo so it is plug and play - the only delay then would be swapping the cables round.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
They will all be completely different - you dont need to demo 7.1 to hear how they sound either.

You need to consider a few things when buying.

There is minimal to no bass management in the Pioneer or Yamaha - so you either need a sub with dsp built in or you need to buy an antimode.

This is especially the case with the pioneer receivers.

ARC in the Anthem is more comprehensive in this regard - however they still suggest you PBK is run on a sub before you run ARC - (thats another product they sell like an antimode) Gives you an idea that the bass management in the Anthems is not that complex.

The EQ overall in the anthem is more complex than MCCAC and YPAO by my last dealings with them - MCCAC and YPAO are very basic paramtric EQ's that only really attempt roughly trim off problem frequencies in the room by making fixed frequency adjustments - where as ARC can actually treat the exact problem frequncy similar to Auddessey.

However that doesnt mean it sounds better - I persoanlly with the exception of bass feel eq is best left off with a bit of room treatment - however most people wont do room treatments becuase of the aesthetics - but the difference is sound reproduction out weighs any amount of money you can spend on kit

Hi theflyingwasp

I'll highly recommend that you ask the dealer to set up and run in full Anthem's Room Correction in your presence in the store. Secondly try and also arrange for a home demo of the MRX 710 so that you can hopefully also appreciate the power of Anthem Room Correction in your room, with your speakers and its furnishings.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
You know what, you're right. I drive home from work in a Lamborghini Aventador (thinking of trading it in for a Veneno), park it on the drive with my other five cars next to the fountain. I close the doors to my Wayne Manor-esque stately home and shut the world out, sometimes spend a few hours in my private gym and sauna before retiring to the master bedroom in the East wing.

What an odd argument. So people are only motivated by financial gain if it results in enormous gain? I don't think so, otherwise there would be no shoplifting. (Not that I'm equating what you do with theft.) I'm sure you wouldn't deny that people get in contact with you as a result of your posts on various fora. You've said you see this as part of your job and your employers advertise on AV Forums. So clearly there is some financial gain to be had, whatever the extent of that.

As I have done before, I'll ask again - if anyone who has dealt with me before has ever felt pressured in any way after they've got in touch with me, feel free to speak up and give Ben some weight to his argument.

What a disingenuous point, solely designed to distract. If I mentioned your in-store sales technique, feel free to quote it. Failing that, it's clear what I'm saying: when you stood to gain financially from promoting KK you recommended them; once your employers ceased to sell them, you ceased to recommend them.

You said it yourself:

As the European distributor is now handling all sales into the UK, it is now up to them to promote the brand - I'd be crazy to do that for them!

So, recommendations on fora are promotion? Otherwise, how do you explain the fact you never mention them since your employer ceased selling them? This is despite:

I still own my kick ass speaker system, and yes, it is still kick ass.

If this is true (and I've no reason to doubt you), and your motivation is assisting forum members rather than financial gain, why have you not recommended them once since your employers stopped selling them?

Somebody else asked me about my signature after I removed it ages ago. I believe I said that it doesn't matter what I use.

Of course, the history of this was you named KK in your signature, I questioned whether this broke house rules, you changed it to 'kick ass speaker system', your emplyer stopped selling the product, you removed the reference in your signature. All goes to support my point rather than your retrospective distortion of reality.

It comes as no surprise or secret, that I tend to talk about stuff on forums that I think are particularly good, and also some that are not quite as good, if it is suitable for the situation.

So why never KK?

T

theflyingwasp

Sorry for the late reply went to see Dallas buyers club ,robocop and I Frankenstein back to back.

Thank you for the replys on which receiver to buy and why.

to be honest after reading David and Ellisdj's post I kinda realized how little I know when it comes to sound ,Ellisdj half your post was double Dutch to me :) .with the money I'm going to drop on this stuff I'm sure a dealer will happily set it up.but what bothers me is even if I had a dealer 5mins down the road the set up in a room double or triple the size with higher ceilings still might be very deceiving compared to how it will sound in my 5x5 will a ceiling at arms reach?

would I be right in saying that any of those receivers with the apex will sound very good or are the apex not suited to yamaha etc I am a newbie with receivers .my first set up was the yamaha a3030 with the monitor audio bronze set up ,then the pioneer lx87 with the monitor audio apex ,now I'm not so sure .dont get me wrong it's not a bad problem to have but it's done solely on the reviews rather than actual hearing anything.also is the sub with the apex the weak link?

You should demo all options and decide for yourself. Also compare the younger siblings in the line up: Yamaha 2030 & 1030 / Pioneer LX57 / Anthem MRX 510. This will help you decide whether the flagships are worth the upgrade.

theflyingwasp said:
with the money I'm going to drop on this stuff I'm sure a dealer will happily set it up.but what bothers me is even if I had a dealer 5mins down the road the set up in a room double or triple the size with higher ceilings still might be very deceiving compared to how it will sound in my 5x5 will a ceiling at arms reach?

would I be right in saying that any of those receivers with the apex will sound very good or are the apex not suited to yamaha etc I am a newbie with receivers .my first set up was the yamaha a3030 with the monitor audio bronze set up ,then the pioneer lx87 with the monitor audio apex ,now I'm not so sure .dont get me wrong it's not a bad problem to have but it's done solely on the reviews rather than actual hearing anything.also is the sub with the apex the weak link?

Hi theflyingwasp

This is why you should also try and have a listen in your room particularly the Anthem.

I've not heard the LX87 yet however I can assure you that I've found Apex sub/sat speakers to form an excellent match with Yamaha and Anthem AV amplification.

Btw, I've found the AW12 subwoofer can keep up with the performance of Monitor Audio's reference PL300 AV and PL200 AV main speaker systems and therefore the AW12 can take Apex A10 and A40 speakers in its stride.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
FFS Ben, give it a rest. I don't see you having a go at your favourite retailer for mentioning certain brands? He used to promote Chord electronics in a big way. That acocunt is now closed, and he doesn't mention them any more. Over to you.

BenLaw said:
What an odd argument. So people are only motivated by financial gain if it results in enormous gain? I don't think so, otherwise there would be no shoplifting. (Not that I'm equating what you do with theft.) I'm sure you wouldn't deny that people get in contact with you as a result of your posts on various fora. You've said you see this as part of your job and your employers advertise on AV Forums. So clearly there is some financial gain to be had, whatever the extent of that.
I was making the point that I am not rich, and I don't earn loads of money. Quite simple really. Stop the cogs once in a while and don't think about things too much.

If we didn't advertise on AVForums, I'd still be a member on there with a personal account. But then that'd also be pounced on wouldnt it, and I'd probably be accused of undercover promotion/financial gain.

What a disingenuous point, solely designed to distract. If I mentioned your in-store sales technique, feel free to quote it. Failing that, it's clear what I'm saying: when you stood to gain financially from promoting KK you recommended them; once your employers ceased to sell them, you ceased to recommend them.
Nothing was "designed to distract" from anything. Why do you think retailers are on forums?! Promotion! What are they going to promote? Products they sell! Not really rocket science Ben.

Small stores (that are at a big disadvantage to large stores/chain stores in many ways) that can't afford to take out numerous advertising pages in big circulation magazines, TV ads, billboard hoardings etc etc have to take every avenue they can for advertising themselves. Small business that sit on their a*** and wait for people to walk through the door have been disappearing for years.

So, recommendations on fora are promotion? Otherwise, how do you explain the fact you never mention them since your employer ceased selling them?
As above. They don't always suit every situation. The majority of people want a pair of floorstanders, a small sub, a small centre, and discreet rear speakers.

I feel not having a store in the UK for the brand is a mistake, and I have made my feelings known on the subject to the relevant people. Hence, no open promotion from me. As I have said though, those that have got in touch with me about the brand I have helped and given advice.

If this is true (and I've no reason to doubt you), and your motivation is assisting forum members rather than financial gain, why have you not recommended them once since your employers stopped selling them?

Of course, the history of this was you named KK in your signature, I questioned whether this broke house rules, you changed it to 'kick ass speaker system', your emplyer stopped selling the product, you removed the reference in your signature. All goes to support my point rather than your retrospective distortion of reality.
I didn't remove my signature until ages after.

So why never KK?
Maybe I should start promoting Audio Research? Burmeister? NAD? Tibo? Oh, I just did. And all for no financial gain on my part. They're welcome.

Once again, all this is my final word on any of these subjects, as you have a habit of stringing things along and I really don't have the time or the inclination to be replying to you all day. It is also well off topic.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Topmetom said:
The new series are getting stellar reviews, however, is it 1.5k better than my mrx300???

unsure...

The EQ/set up system has been improved, so this alone could/should make quite a difference. I would also expect an audible difference between the bottom of the previous range to the top of the new range. Unfortunately, I can't say, as we have only taken them on since the new range was launched.

Topmetom

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Well its a choice between this, a new blu ray player or a little tube amp and speakers for my rega p3?

I have been considering downsizing the old sub as well of late...ho hum....

JohnHolmes

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Just been reading on another forum where it's being claimed that these anthems when used as processors are better than £2.5k dedicated processors eg Yamaha and marantz!!

That is some praise!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Or a few getting a little carried away...

There seems to be a lot of excessive hyping of some products over on that forum at the moment, with a small number of regulars being responsible. One example was the Onkyo 818 receiver. Towards the end of its life when prices were dropping, one or two got hold of one, claiming it was good enough to drive £5/6k speaker packages, despite some of us trying to bring them back down to earth. Even a distributor joined in the hyping, and things escalated - suffice to say, once they actually tried something better, or added a power amplifier, reality quickly set in...

So just beware of the excited few who are looking for high end performance in a budget product :)

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Some people just seem to have an urging need for reasertsment and only post to convince everybody how great are the products that they have bought. I own myself a Onkyo 818 and it is acceptable for music, meaning it does not make your ears bleed like other receivers, it does not make you want to through it out of the window, etc but that is about it. Regarding the new Anthem range I was really hoping that even the 310 would be very strong soundwise but seems this may not be the case. If Anthem does not meet expectations in terms of sound then, I loose the faith.

TRENDING THREADS