Question Possible speaker replacement (2nd setup)

What speaker system would you pick?

• Keep the Diamond 11.2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Wharfedale Evo 4.1

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Wharfedale Diamond 12. 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wharfedale Diamond 12.2

• Sony Sscs5

• Another one (please suggest)

• Total voters

AJM1981

Screenshot_20220717_160231.jpg

Pictured is my Diamond 11.2 for a 2nd set in the master bedroom and the Evo 4.2 for the living.

For the master bedroom I use the 11.2 combined with my vintage Pioneer Sa5300 receiver. But most of the times hooked up to an arylic a50+ amp and combined with a Polk Psw10 sub. Room accoustics are a subjective 7 out of 10, not as good as the living which I would rate a 9+, but not much reverb and quite in control.

Since I also have a sub (bought it for smaller Diamond 12.0 bookshelf speakers which have a good "synergy" together with the polk) I think a good extension could be an option in selecting the speakers. The Polk sub goes down to 35hz and the minimum crossover point is 80hz. It doesn't dig as deep and the cut off is not that low as my B&W sub in the living, which is far more versatile. It would be ideal if the cutoff would be lower so it would connect better and only kick in below 40hz for example. But it is a good budget sub nonetheless. It might be an option to ditch the sub. Luxury problem.

Wharfedale Diamond 11.2
Currently in use. Has similar curves to the later Evo series. For the Evo the curves were meant to create a little more outspoken midrange in that series, probably not that much utilized in the 11.2 but the mids are really well. Bass is more than ok, but could perhaps be a bit tighter. It's bass extension is at a minimum of +- 40hz which is similar to the floorstanding evo 4.3 and 4.4 models. Impressive. The Evo counters this with slightly more detail. But anyway.

Diamond 12.1 and 12. 2
I owned the 12.0 and gave them to my dad. They are awesome. The 1 and 2 are an upscaled versions of it. Compared to the 11 series everything is a bit more controlled and the bass is tighter. The 12.0 has a bass extension at a minimum of 65 hz, the 12.1 one is 60hz and the 12.2 42hz.

Sony Sscs5
I have heard about this model and it is alround reviewed as an amazing speaker for its price range. Though some suggested modifications to turn certain shortcomings around. It is described as a 3 way but comes close to a 2-way due the odd configuration of a supertweeter. It connects at 53hz to a sub and have no idea how this speaker compares to the diamond and evo range.

Wharfedale Evo 4.1
I own the 4.2 and love it for the living room. I kind of know what to expect. Would probably be an upgrade. With a minimum of 64hz the 4.1 would probably not be a bad choice with the polk sub.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts