Anthem ARC mic vs phone

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
I have recently purchased an Anthem MRX710 which is being used with a set of B&W M1 (mk2) and a BK subwoofer. I have tried setting up ARC on the Anthem using the app and my iPhone but still find the sound a little too bright especially compared with the Denon it replaced.

Would it be better for me to try the setup again using the dedicated mic and a laptop or is the Anthem actually a brighter sounding amp when compared with the likes of Denon/Marantz?

Source is mainly an old but reliable Sony BDP-S760 Bly ray player.

Any help would be appreciated.

Messiah

I'm not fully versed on the Anthem but auto-calibration typically sets speaker volume, delay, sub cross-over etc. I'm not familiar with it changing the tone of the sound.

I suspect the Anthem simply sounds different.

Have you tried it in standard stereo with some music or with auto-calibration settings turned off? Does it still sound brighter?

You could try it with the mic to see.

Reactions: Mohsin

abacus

If you are talking about the phone mic, then they suck big time and are completely useless for setting a system up, except for volume.
The microphone supplied is way more accurate and is specifically designed for the job in hand, (You can also get calibrated mic's).
The software also allows you to tune the sound to your personal preferences, so get stuck in. (There are plenty of videos on You Tube that show you how)

Bill

Reactions: Mohsin

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
I'm not fully versed on the Anthem but auto-calibration typically sets speaker volume, delay, sub cross-over etc. I'm not familiar with it changing the tone of the sound.

I suspect the Anthem simply sounds different.

Have you tried it in standard stereo with some music or with auto-calibration settings turned off? Does it still sound brighter?

You could try it with the mic to see.
Appreciate the reply. No not tried it in stereo as I have a separate 2.1 setup for my music needs and this was purely for movies. I will try it with the dedicated mic this weekend to see it things improve.

Reactions: Messiah

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
If you are talking about the phone mic, then they suck big time and are completely useless for setting a system up, except for volume.
The microphone supplied is way more accurate and is specifically designed for the job in hand, (You can also get calibrated mic's).
The software also allows you to tune the sound to your personal preferences, so get stuck in. (There are plenty of videos on You Tube that show you how)

Bill
Yes I was using the phone mic and the results were crazy. It set the fronts at 80hz and the centre at 140hz when they are all identical speakers and near the same distance from the measuring point.

I will use the supplied mic this weekend to see what results I can get from the setup. I did find a video online that went into great depths on the Genesis software and it seems like I have countless options but that just means days of tinkering to get it right which I was trying to avoid lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts