Another question about the Super Dreadnoughts

randomfeaturezero

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi. Has anyone esle here had experience of the bungs for the centre columns of Partington Super Dreadnoughts being too loose as described here?-

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/should-i-fill-my-super-dreadnoughts

I was all set to make a purchase after many helpful comments on a recent post here, but I don't fancy using gaffer tape on brand new stands. I want everything to be 'just fine' from the outset! The topic posted above was from 2013, is there any chance Partington have since made improvements, or what? I don't want to mass load the stands and then have it all pour out if the centre insert/bung comes loose. Can someone who's made the same purchase please offer some advice about this. People are saying the bungs for the outer four poles are nice and tight but the centre bung loose. Or is it 'tight but loose'?Opinions?

Thanks

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
just checked, and i discovered that i never inserted any of the bungs - because I have not yet filled the columns.

Using gaffer tape would not worry me - the bungs are located well out of site, so gaffer tape would only be visible if you turn the stands upside down. Not something that i would do, even if i wanted to try and impress guests with the technical details of the stands.

also the bungs could have the weight of several kg of atabytes on top of them, so maybe adding gaffer tape is a good fall back option, to avoid a loose bung leading to a pile of atabytes on the floor.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
If you are worried you could also keep them from vibrating (if thats what your worrued about) by using a little blue tac.

The main thing here is dint worry about that at all.

I used to worry about every little detail also and now in not as nothing makes much difference as you will see.

All these things we read on the forums, reviews and google make us hifi people paronoid about equipment rather than music. Haha its a disease i wish i knew the cure for.

Just enjoy the lovely sound they help produce.

randomfeaturezero

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate your comment but I am really looking for anyone who has these stands and has either filled them, and/or had problems/no problems with the bung for the centre tube being loose (or not), to give me a better idea of what to expect and whether this problem is something Partington have corrected since then. I won't be able to "just enjoy the lovely sound" if there is stand filler all over the floor!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
randomfeaturezero said:
I appreciate your comment but I am really looking for anyone who has these stands and has either filled them, and/or had problems/no problems with the bung for the centre tube being loose (or not), to give me a better idea of what to expect and whether this problem is something Partington have corrected since then. I won't be able to "just enjoy the lovely sound" if there is stand filler all over the floor!

I do with a slighlty loose cover as i tried to explain its not a problem

randomfeaturezero

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
When you say it's not a problem do you mean you did or didn't, have to use tape afterwards (I assume you filled them?) Just so I know whether to buy tape as well

Also I know these stands are braced. But I can't tell by looking, do they come ready assembled in 'one piece'? Would be a great help if you can tell me.

Many thanks

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
to mine (bought and filled almost 7 years ago). I've just hat a look under mine and there has been no leaks; the bungs on mine were a really tight fit as I recall.

With regards to the Atabites, it appears from the Atacama website that they now use a different "design" of Atabite to the ones I used. They now appear to be small round discs, where before they were small pointy (very sharp) shards of steel. One tub was all I needed to roughly 3/4 fill all the tubes.

See also this old 2010 thread:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/partington-stand-owners-help

Although, in the back of my mind I think the original manufacturer passed/sold on the design to another company so some of the comments may no longer be relevant.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
randomfeaturezero said:
When you say it's not a problem do you mean you did or didn't, have to use tape afterwards (I assume you filled them?) Just so I know whether to buy tape as well

Also I know these stands are braced. But I can't tell by looking, do they come ready assembled in 'one piece'? Would be a great help if you can tell me.

Many thanks

Was very slightly loose but never ever came off or fell off or leaked.
Its a quality stand
im trying to reasure you its ok

randomfeaturezero said:

My Partingtons have never been filled, I don't think it makes a bit of difference. Tried with previous Atacamas , couldn't hear any difference. Out of interest I found trying to pull the central bung was a bit of a struggle. Gravity can win however and a top-fill design might be better if you intend going down this route.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have had two pairs over the years, both times filled with kiln dried sand. Never had any problems with bugs falling out. If yours do then you could try wrapping PTFE tape or electrical tape around the bung to improve the fit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts