Filled my stands...Super Dreadnough question.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Bought some Partington Super Dreadnoughts a few weeks back, didn't get the plugs to enable me to fill them, so used them "empty". Definitely tightened the bass, without increasing it in any meaningful way, wasn't too displeased.

Got the plugs sent through from the shop I bought them from this week, so filled the stands with sand on Saturday. Now, I've filled them right to the top, but I seem to recall some people saying they'd only part filled theirs, but I can't remember how much by. Anyway, net result, the bass has increased dramatically (they're only some old KEF Cresta 2's, had them about ten years, I will be upgrading at some point), however it's lost the pleasing tightness it had, I wouldn't say it's booming, definitely not, but there's a distinct softness to the bass now that wasn't there before.

I had moved the speakers nearer the back wall to help the bass a little, I think I'll be moving them back out again, see if that helps.

Stack

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think the instructions said to 3/4 fill the stands. I tried both, full and 3/4 and couldnt tell the difference, so I left them fully filled.

Matt

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I don't think I got the correct instructions, they were going on about attaching the base plate, when it's clearly welded! I'll see how I get on moving the speakers out a little from the wall, not sure I want to go through taking the blasted sand out again, it was enough of a rigmarole getting it in!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
KEF recommended 200mm (8 inches) from the wall. Any further out and they will sound thinner and too close they tend to boominess.

It would seem a good idea to try it as a starting point.

Stack

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It could be that your ears havent adjusted to the different sound your speakers make on the new stands. I would bring the speakers out into the room a little, I have mine a metre from the wall and I use the trusty old B&W 602S3 and the bass is tight and controlled. Play about till you get them right how you like it. Room characteristics play an important part in how they sound, as there is no exact science on where speakers should be positioned. What sounds good to someone else may not sound good to you and vice versa.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby: KEF recommended 200mm (8 inches) from the wall. Any further out and they will sound thinner and too close they tend to boominess.
It would seem a good idea to try it as a starting point.

I think 20cm is pretty much where I had them, which was working before filling the stands, but would appear to be too close with the stands filled. Bringing them forward a little will bring them level with the centre speaker as well.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Stack: It could be that your ears havent adjusted to the different sound your speakers make on the new stands.

Don't know about that, all I know is before I filled the stands the bass was tight and defined, if a little light, now, it's a lot heavier but I can't pick out individual notes like I used to, it's more of a mush really, which is irritating.

It may well be that I've reached the limit of the talents of these speakers, like I said, they're ten years old and they weren't that high up the range to start with, so I know they're never going to sound amazing, I just think they could sound better than they do right now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts