Another newbie requesting help - Onkyo amp and KEF speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, first post, apologies if I covered anything you answered before. I did check the forums for related posts but nothing quite answered my questions.

Anyway, here goes:

have the following:

TV Sony KDL40X2000
PS3
DVD player Sony DVP S725D (I keep it as its chipped for my US discs)
Freeview Sony RDR HXD870

I am looking for an amp and speakers, what would you recommend? I have had my eye on:
speakers kef 5005.2 wireless, I dont want wires trailing round also I am after compact speakers so these seem ok
Amp - Onkyo TX SR806

Do these seem good choices? Also, if I go for another amp, with no THX certification, will this mean I cannot listen to thx soundtracks, and will this matter?
Also, apart from the dvd player, is HDMI always the best way to connect them all in terms of picture and sound? I ask this last bit as I saw an earlier post advising someone that optical was the best way to get osund from the ps3 to the amp - does that not defeat the object of hdmi?
anyway, if anyone can help it would be much appreciated!

A

Anonymous

Hello TrevorM.

If you are after discreet speakers which are stylish and decent quality, then yes I think your KEF's fit the bill. The amp is more than qualified and the speakers will run out of puff before the amp.

THX soundtracks are not a format like Dolby Digital or DTS; it just means that the soundtrack has passed a certain audio standard of excellence (the whole process of THX certification is very technical). A home cinema amp which is THX certified means that it can reproduce a soundtrack to a certain level of excellence provided it is set up correctly and your speakers are also THX certified.

Some manufacturers do not subject their equipment to THX certification, but that actually doesn't mean they can't achieve it (it costs them money). So you will not need nor necessarily suffer if you buy non-THX equipment.

The Sony PS3 can only send hi-definition picture and hi-def sound through HDMI.

If you use optical (audio) you will end up with the same surround track as ordinary DVD (i.e. Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 typically - although it will be slightly superior but NOT high-def).

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Kef and Onkyo combination seems to work best for these setups A1 Sound have the Kefs in silver with wireless kit and free speaker stands and cable for £1099 which seems a bargain, as the wireless senders cost around £350.I would partner it with the Onlyo 876 as there's not a lot in it pricewise and you could pick one up for £650. Yes use hdmi for your PS3 and a single phono lead for your dvd player or optical.Thats what i use on my Toshiba player until i eventually get a standalone blu-ray player for mulit-regional discs.

A

Anonymous

I know you say you do not want trailing wires, so are aware that the wireless 5005.2's may not need speaker cables but each unit needs a plug socket near by and then a trailing mains cable from each satallite.

Apologies if you are already aware.

Regards.

A

Anonymous

Hi, thanks! I thought there may be a power cable involved, but i can live with that. I just didnt want speaker cable draped all round the floor. Luckily, where I intend to put the speakers, there are a couple of sockets within easy reach. All info is welcome, as at these prices I want to make sure im happy with what I get!

A

Anonymous

thanks! this is the info I needed. im checking out some deals now, so it looks like ill be surround sounded up very soon. thanks again!

A

Anonymous

thanks for the info on A1 sounds. I took a quick look on their website, I think prices have gone up a little (discrepency between advertised price and price on the "in your basket screen". Still they seem the best prices I have seen anywhere else so may buy anyway.

I also intend to buy a standalone blu ray player at some point. I am debating whether to get one chipped for us dvd as well (if such a thing is possible) or just buying the uk verisons of the discs. They arent special or anything, just films I happened to like that at the time were only out in the US, and as I dont have many replacing could be an option. Anway, we shall see, may depend on what the speakers and amp cost!

thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts