Another DAC question

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I asked about DACs here recently and got some very helpful info. I had pretty much decided on the Beresford Caiman II and even contacted them for the details, almost all set.

Unfortunetely, as often happens, unforseen home appliance breakages and a few other money draining activities crept in and the DAC purchase was shelved, temporarily anyway.

Where I live there isn't any listen before you buy, but now I am considering the Modi Uber II. It's slightly more budget friendly than my original plan. Has anyone any experience with this DAC? I am hoping/thinking it should musically be an improvement over my existing SMSL M3 (which I must say is great at 50 odd pounds). Another part of me says wait another little while and buy the Beresford. I'll be feeding it into a Marantz PM4200 with laptop and a bluray as my main cd player. Thanks for any input

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
go for it.. I think it's better suited for your system then the Caiman, I did have myslef Schiit dac before; transparent and good bulid quality... no schiit

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Hi. I haven't heard Schiit products, but every product of theirs seems to be very highly praised, so you probably can't go wrong with them.

Agreed. They even take the p155 out of their name on their own website. - Any company that can laugh at themselves and not take themselves too seriously can't be all bad. IMO.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
muljao said:
davedotco said:
The differences between any of the ones mentioned in your thread will be miniscule.

Save your money for something better.

Thanks. what would you suggest please? Would my SMSL M3 be inferior do you think?

Dac chips are very cheap and, if implemented correctly, effectively transparent. SMSL would have to screw up pretty badly with, say, the usb input circuit or the analogue outputs for the SMSL to be audibly inferior to any budget dac.

That said I have never seen or heard your dac in the flesh, so who knows.

Sadly it appears that you are succumbing to 'audiophilia nervosa', if the functionality of the SMSL is what you need then it is possibly the last thing you need to change.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
muljao said:
davedotco said:
The differences between any of the ones mentioned in your thread will be miniscule.

Save your money for something better.

Thanks. what would you suggest please? Would my SMSL M3 be inferior do you think?

Dac chips are very cheap and, if implemented correctly, effectively transparent. SMSL would have to screw up pretty badly with, say, the usb input circuit or the analogue outputs for the SMSL to be audibly inferior to any budget dac.

That said I have never seen or heard your dac in the flesh, so who knows.

Sadly it appears that you are succumbing to 'audiophilia nervosa', if the functionality of the SMSL is what you need then it is possibly the last thing you need to change.

Audiophilia nervosa, that's a good one. You could very well be right :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts