Another BBC missed opportunity

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Tomorrow night: new series of Doctor Who - SD. I'd Do Anything - HD

Go figure...
[/quote]

Odd that Torchwood is HD but not Doctor Who.

A

Anonymous

How lame! You'd think they'd film / transmit Doctor Who in HD - they do with that Sh** Robin Hood.

Maybe Lloyd-Webber is pumping money ino "I'd sell my soul"?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
You'd think they'd learn, wouldn't you? Same thing apparently happened with the last series of Doctor Who, and then there was apparently a big brouhaha when BBC Worldwide tried to sell the series to the US and elsewhere, and couldn't because it wasn't in HD. Maybe this time they've shot it in HD, but aren't broadcasting it in HD. Mad.

John Duncan

[quote user="Andy Clough"]
You'd think they'd learn, wouldn't you? Same thing apparently happened with the last series of Doctor Who, and then there was apparently a big brouhaha when BBC Worldwide tried to sell the series to the US and elsewhere, and couldn't because it wasn't in HD. Maybe this time they've shot it in HD, but aren't broadcasting it in HD. Mad.

[/quote]

It's not just a case of flicking a switch you know!

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gatwick Flyer"]

Mmmm...the Master(s) in HD...

[/quote]

So they waste time downscaling to SD... makes sense!

John Duncan

[quote user="Alsone"][quote user="Gatwick Flyer"]

Mmmm...the Master(s) in HD...

[/quote]

So they waste time downscaling to SD... makes sense!
[/quote]

The production company (if it's external) may provide the tape in SD - tt may not even be in the contract to allow transmission in HD. This is all speculation (DW may be a BBC production, which changes the rights issue somewhat), but as I say it's not just a case of saying "hey DW's great let's have it HD".

And when I say tape, I mean tape.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Andy Clough"]

[/quote]

It's not just a case of flicking a switch you know![/quote]

Of course it's not - but when two of your top-rated dramas in terms of audience figures (Dr Who and Ashes to Ashes) aren't HD and absolute bilge like The Green Green Grass is, then you've got to wonder the thinking going on...

A

Anonymous

The real sticky point is though...If DW and Torchwood are produced by the same BBC Wales unit (I've visited their offices) who decided to shoot in different formats?...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]

The production company (if it's external) may provide the tape in SD - tt may not even be in the contract to allow transmission in HD. This is all speculation (DW may be a BBC production, which changes the rights issue somewhat), but as I say it's not just a case of saying "hey DW's great let's have it HD".

And when I say tape, I mean tape.[/quote]

Both Doctor Who and Torchwood are BBC (Wales) productions.

[EDIT] Beaten to it, above!

John Duncan

[quote user="Clare Newsome"][quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Andy Clough"]

[/quote]

It's not just a case of flicking a switch you know![/quote]

Of course it's not - but when two of your top-rated dramas in terms of audience figures (Dr Who and Ashes to Ashes) aren't HD and absolute bilge like The Green Green Grass is, then you've got to wonder the thinking going on...

[/quote]

Ignore me, it's an in-house production (according to wikipedia), so you're right - bunch of amateurs. Of course, at least they have an HD channel, unlike some broadcasters I could mention
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Be Rest assured...I hear Bravo HD is on it's way very soon...:)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And I just checked, Ashes to Ashes is a joint BBC Wales/Kudos production. Grrr.....

Whereas the aforementioned Green Green Grass is an external production company (Shazam).

Maybe the BBC's only got one HD drama unit to be shared round - Torchwood one week; the latest period drama the next....

John Duncan

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
And I just checked, Ashes to Ashes is a joint BBC Wales/Kudos production. Grrr.....

Whereas the aforementioned Green Green Grass is an external production company (Shazam).

Maybe the BBC's only got one HD drama unit to be shared round - Torchwood one week; the latest period drama the next....
[/quote]

Maybe they only have one HD camera.

A

Anonymous

The BBC have sufficient HD broadcast equipment to make BBC HD 24 hours if they wanted (I work for one of the largest HD Broadcast equipment manufacturers).

The bottleneck is, I believe, sufficiently qualified production staff and the squeeze on resources both from the tightening budget to employ new staff and the thinning out of staff to manage all the digital channels.

John Duncan

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Wondered why they haven't been doing much football in HD lately (image in head of knackered cameraman hurtling up and down touchline)
emotion-4.gif

[/quote]

The cameramen I know couldn't hurtle anywhere.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gatwick Flyer"]
The BBC have sufficient HD broadcast equipment to make BBC HD 24 hours if they wanted (I work for one of the largest HD Broadcast equipment manufacturers).

The bottleneck is, I believe, sufficiently qualified production staff and the squeeze on resources both from the tightening budget to employ new staff and the thinning out of staff to manage all the digital channels.

[/quote]

Maybe they should cross-charge Andrew Lloyd Webber for all the free promotion his productions are gettting via their TV shows.

Or give the license payers a vote - huge salaries for Graham Norton/Jonathan Ross OR all your favourite shows in HD
emotion-3.gif

John Duncan

[quote user="Gatwick Flyer"]The bottleneck is, I believe, sufficiently qualified production staff and the
squeeze on resources both from the tightening budget to employ new staff and the
thinning out of staff to manage all the digital channels.[/quote]

And time to manage the revised workflow and processes in organisations whose systems are deeply ingrained. Not that I know anything about this or anything.

TRENDING THREADS