Andrew.....hayelp!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andrew, I took your advice from an old thread and I've connected my Sony STR-DA1200 to my Creek Evo stereo amp using the front channel pre out from the Sony to the AV input on the Creek. I have RS6s connected to the Creek. I used the Sony's calibration mic and all seemed to go ok (I set the Creek's volume to 30 out of 80). However, there is barely any sound coming from the front two. The centre (the new LCSR which I picked up today) sounds superb and the rear speakers are perfectly in tune also. Please tell me I've overlooked something?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Did you get sound from the front L/R during the measuring run? And was it of a similar level to that from the centre? If not, then check connections. If so, then I'd turn the Creek up a good bit - let's say 50 or so -and then run the set-up again.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The receiver picked up the front speakers during calibration and when I check each speaker with the receiver. They weren't as loud as the centre but I will try again and increase the volume on the Creek. My only worry there is forgetting to crank it down before playing a cd. Anything over 45 is deafening with a cd!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Right, tried that and as soon as I turned the Creek above 40, the speakers started crackling. I stuck with it but after the calibration, (all the speakers sounded the same during), the speakers crackled. I turned the Evo down to 30 and I'm back to square one. Before I got rid of my front sats, I had my RS6s linked to the tv by way of interconnect from Evo to Sky HD. The sound was superb. That is what I was expecting. I know you will say no but just in case, could I connect two sets of speaker cable to the RS6s (LF and HF), one set going to the amp and one to the receiver and only ever have one of the amps on at any one time?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Tell me about it! And the missus isn't talking to me because the Monitor Audio RS centre speaker is too big and ugly and has "ruined" the hifiracks unit![/quote]

Send her to Coventry.

they lost 5-0 at home.

PS you know you're on a winner when the missus doesn't like it as it will sound superb. Guaranteed.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Back to the thread, Andrew, Clare, any clues??[/quote]

No, not really. No idea what's causing this crackling or the very low level.

But whatever you do, don't connect separate runs of cable to each speaker from amp and receiver - that's an easy way to damage amp or receiver or speakers or all three.

If you connect the receiver directly to your front speakers using speaker cable, do you get the correct sound from them then? If so, there's a problem in the receiver's preouts or the amplifier; if not, then it's a processing problem in the receiver.

Which source are you watching and which listening mode?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've just tried the fronts connected to the receiver and it sounds great. Should it sound just the same with the pre outs? Also, is it more likely to be the problem of the receiver rather than the amp? If the Creek is unable to cope with this I'll be fuming. I'm quite happy to change the Sony as there is so much more choice. However, if the Sony is faulty, even better.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your help Andrew. My Creek is only a couple of months old and is working perfectly in all other areas - I have had it connected to Sky, CD and my computer and all perfect. Now, if there is only a problem when it is connected to the receiver, I'm hoping that it's the receivers fault. Can you confirm for me that the Creek Evo should be able to do what I want and the Sony STR-DA1200es should be able to do it also having pre out for front left and right? If so, I will send the Sony back to get it checked out.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I just spoke with Mike Creek and he told me that the Evo is not capable of doing what I want it to. I am gutted. I will now have to switch speaker cables from the amp to the receiver depending on what I want to do, listen to music or watch the tv. Not ideal.

John Duncan

This is really throwing me as it really ought to work, shouldn't it? This was the whole point of the old Yamaha DSP E-800 thingie wasn't it? Should the amp be connected through the preouts or the tape loop?

Or maybe you could just get the Yamaha on eBay - 50 quid last time I looked.........

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]I just spoke with Mike Creek and he told me that the Evo is not capable of doing what I want it to.[/quote]

Did he say why?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
This was his response. "Hi there, I don't mean to reject What-Hi-Fi advise, but it is not possible to set your system up by the way you describe. The level will be wrong as the pre-amp input, power Amp output is a point in the amplifier after the volume control, so it would not matter where you set the volume. The Evo is not ideally suited to this operation, since it is primarily a 2 channel amp. Some more recently built amps have an AV input, which allows the amp to be tread just as a power amp for the AV system and switched from the front panel.

Please can you ask your Sony dealer to explain.".

Best regards,

Mike Creek

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I can see that, if you were using the power amp input. But if you're connecting the preouts to one of the amp's line-ins, I can't see where the problem is, thought clearly there is one...

John Duncan

That reads as if he's misunderstood what you're telling him - you're not going via the preamp/poweramp sockets on the Evo, are you?

From the manual, it looks like the preamp out signal has the same settings as the 'speaker' setting - maybe try setting them to 'small' so it's not getting a big bass boost? And have the volume set to 12-1 o'clock (40 or 50 I suppose)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
No, I've tried connecting the Evo using one of it's inputs (AV). I could have used Tuner, Aux, CD, etc., I tried setting the volume to 50 and there was a racket coming from the speakers like crackling/fizzing. I then tried setting it to 30 and the sound was barely audible. I then linked the speakers up directly to the AV receiver and the sound is superb with the volume level not needed above -30 for excellent sound. Andrew told me that the sound should be the same which ever way I do it. This clearly is not the case and therefore either Mr Creek has misunderstood me and the Sony has a problem or the Evo really can't sing with the receiver and I am stuck. Is there any alternative? I just tried playing a cd using the receiver and then back to the Creek and the difference was laughable. I will not be selling the Evo!

John Duncan

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]No, I've tried connecting the Evo using one of it's inputs (AV). I could have used Tuner, Aux, CD, etc.,
I tried setting the volume to 50 and there was a racket coming from the speakers like crackling/fizzing. I then tried setting it to 30 and the sound was barely audible. I then linked the speakers up directly to the AV receiver and the sound is superb with the volume level not needed above -30 for excellent sound. Andrew told me that the sound should be the same which ever way I do it. This clearly is not the case and therefore either Mr Creek has misunderstood me and the Sony has a problem or the Evo really can't sing with the receiver and I am stuck. Is there any alternative? I just tried playing a cd using the receiver and then back to the Creek and the difference was laughable. I will not be selling the Evo![/quote]
There's this as well.

But I still think it should work. Things to try:

Are you able to see what volume level the front speakers are after calibration? Does it look low?

Have you tried manual calibration of the speaker sets instead of automatic, whacking the volume of the front pair right up, then adjusting the volume of the Creek to match the rest?

What happens if you plug the CD player into the Sony, then pre-out to the AV input of the Creek (ie ignoring any surround sound gubbins)? Does it sound 'normal'?

Have you tried using the 1940's 5.1 out into the Sony's 5.1 in, then change it so the front two go to the Creek instead (though then you have volume matching issues, obviously)?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
After calibration they were both the lowest they could be, -20. I did then change them to +7 (maximum is +10) and there was no real difference. I am now settling for the switching box. I can get one sent to my firm's Chicago office and then on to me for not much postage. The problem for me is, and thanks Andrew but I'd already seen that doc, I don't quite understand how it all links up. I am a novice and need diagrams are straightforward explanations. Thanks to both of you for helping me out by the way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts