Andrew.....hayelp!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Basically the box has 12 screw-terninals on the back, in three blocks of four, into which bare wire speaker cable ends are inserted, then clamped with set-screws.

You use one block of four terminals for the two speaker cables from your receiver's front L/R speaker terminals, the other for the two cables from the Creek's speaker outputs, and the output set of terminals on the back of the box to connect the cables to your speakers.

Simple.

But I still agree with Capt HobNob - I have no idea why the original suggestion isn't working. Just a weird thought - you are using the Sony's preamp outputs too hook up and not the multichannel inputs alongside them, aren't you?

John Duncan

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]After calibration they were both the lowest they could be, -20. I did then change them to +7 (maximum is +10) and there was no real difference.[/quote]

See, that's just weird - that there's no difference. Am going to have try this with my Yamaha/Creek tonight!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]But I still agree with Capt HobNob[/quote]

That's Capt Hob *** Sir[/quote]

Sorry, will remember the space between Hob and *** in future.

And there's no need to call me Sir...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"] It seems that this is a US product, will I have a power supply issue?[/quote]

Purely passive component - no power supply.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Even better. Just read your earlier question. I have the phono cables from the pre out front left and right of the Sony (just two the left of the subwoofer input). John, I can't believe you kept your Creek ownership quiet!!

John Duncan

Well a) it's not an Evo so didn't want to treat them as if they were identical in case they weren't and b) I was kind of thinking it was irrelevant in this case, I think this is a Sony problem........
emotion-2.gif

But just as a by the by, they rock......

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Mr Creek implied that the Evo not being a recent product is the problem. He mentioned new models have the ability. Unless your Creek is a newer model than the Evo, you could answer some questions for me. And yes, I LOVE the Evo. The fact I bought it brand new for £350 is even better!

John Duncan

It's a Classic, it's very recent to me and probably a newer model than the Evo, but I still don't get where he's coming from - I thought a line level signal was a line level signal (more or less).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site

These ones, right?

And you have still got the Sony's front channel speaker selector set to A ON, haven't you, even though there's nothing connected to the receiver's front channel speaker out terminals?

The preouts work exactly in parallel with the speaker outputs, so if you set the speaker selector to OFF, the front channel preouts are switched off too...

John Duncan

from the Sony manual:

Preamp output Voltage - 2V (that's standard, pretty much)
Impedance : 1kOhms (could this have an impact?)

From the Creek specs: Input Sensitivity 415 mV for 85W

Any amp designers out there care to comment?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
When I turn the dial past 40 the speakers start fizzing/crackling and the volume doesn't increase that much. 50 sounds bad. I've not tried it with a dvd just Sky HD - but that's irrelevant really. I must admit it sounds like you and Andrew are adamant that it should work. I am resigned but would love an Eureka moment!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]I've not tried it with a dvd just Sky HD[/quote]

With a Sky HD broadcast that's actually running a 5.1-channel soundtrack? If not - if it's in stereo, for example - and the receiver is doing Pro-Logic processing on it, most of the sound will be coming out of the centre, with very little on the front L/R speakers. Try it with a DVD known to have 5.1 surround, and with the receiver running in proper Dolbly Digital.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your efforts Andrew. I will order a switching unit (will only cost me £40 or so - less than the interconnect I'm using) and sell it on if it doesn't work. If it doesn't work, I will replace my receiver as I plan to anyway - I think my speakers can be pushed harder by a better model. It will be interesting to find out what JohnDuncan discovers from his Creek Classic and Yamaha combo.

John Duncan

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Must be a big drawer![/quote]

It's my hifi drawer. Has more audio and video cables than I know what to do with, an Arcam Alpha 2, half of a Denon mini system, three Sennheiser microphones, a Yamaha DSP-AX620, three French Hens.........

You should see my Guitar Cupboard.

John Duncan

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Must be a big drawer![/quote]

It's my hifi drawer. Has more audio and video cables than I know what to do with, an Arcam Alpha 2, half of a Denon mini system, three Sennheiser microphones, a Yamaha DSP-AX620, three French Hens.........[/quote]

Oh, and an electric blanket.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts