Andrew, a crossover question? (or anyone)?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Im just double checking to see if i have the correct settings, at the present i have the crossover set to 80hz on the amp. Im using the B&W DM602 s3 main speakers & the spec for these are:

Frequency response 52hz - 20khz
Frequency range -6db at 43hz
Crossover frequency 4khz

And on my subwoofer theres just a volume control for the line level, a upper roll off dial that turns from min to max, a slam or depth dial and a phase reversal switch and the spec for the sub is:

Frequency range 20-120hz; -6db at 20hz
Gain control range 80db

Would i be right in thinking i should set the crossover point to say 50hz via the amp? I say this as the frequency response is 52hz on the B&Ws? I could be wrong with this so im hoping Andrew or whoever else is replying to this can agree or correct me?

Many thanks

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I'd say 50 or 60 would be a better bet, allowing the 602 S3s (Great speakers BTW :) to delve a bit deeper. It's a waste of all that cabinet space otherwise.

:)

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:Yeah, I'd say 50 or 60 would be a better bet, allowing the 602 S3s (Great speakers BTW :) to delve a bit deeper. It's a waste of all that cabinet space otherwise.

:)Hi Chris,

Yes i thought maybe at least 50hz, i see you have the same speakers Chris & yes they are a great speaker.

Is this were you have your setting via your amp then?

And to add to this i currently have these speakers set to Large as thats what my amp set them to via the automatic callibration, if i set the main speakers to small, my amp doesnt allow me to set the centre or surrounds to large so they to have to be small, when i tried setting them to small it sounded like all the bass weight had gone from the overall presentation of the sound but when i put them back to large all was restored to a fuller sound. Am i missing something? or is large fine.

So am i right in thinking that with my main speakers set to "large" and the amp set to 50hz all low LFE bass below this setting is going to be sent to the speakers & not to the sub? If this is the case then it would be best & safer to set the speakers to "small"? Is this right?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
My 602s aren't part of my A/V package, they're just doing Hi-Fi duties, so no filtering off for me.

but they're bigger in many ways than certain floorstanders, so I would think 'Large' would definitely be the correct setting for them.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:

but they're bigger in many ways than certain floorstanders, so I would think 'Large' would definitely be the correct setting for them.Yes that's what i thought Chris, however is the sub still taking over from say 50hz even though there set to large?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Gander:'ere jase. whats happened to your denon mate?Hi Gander,

I've still got my Denon Mate, i aint getting rid of that in a hurry, it's just that i cant seem to be able to edit my signature for some reason? When i try & edit the Pioneer out it says i havnt enough characters etc

Ahh well, i'll keep trying !

Anyway, how's you doing?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I checked my amps setting & it starts from 50hz, 80, 100, 120, 150 up to 200hz so i tried 50hz & i was'nt that impressed as it sounded abit lighter on the bass IMO, when i put it back to 80hz it sounded much more fuller without being overpowering, so ill be leaving it at the original 80hz.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:Can't you filter the fronts to 50, but leave the sub at 80?Thing is Chris, it's guess work with the subs i have as the "upper roll off" dial just goes from min to max so it's a case of turning it up etc until its at a sound you feel is best.

The later subs do have the dial clearly marked out in hz which is far more convenient, ive got it set at 12 o clock for both upper roll off & volume on the subs if i go anymore it starts to sound to full on & boomy.

But if it goes from 20hz to 120hz i feel that having the dial at 12 o clock must be around 80hz there abouts, maybe? Then again REL say's in the manual for these subs that its best to just play around with it until you get the desired sound.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:Time to buy a PV1 perhaps?

;-)Does the PV1 go from 20hz to 120 Chris? And if your dials are clearly marked in HZ where abouts would 80hz be? Just as a kind of guide for me? Is it halfway of just over?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:It goes from 40 - 140, and 80 is at about '2 O'clock' on the dial.Thanks alot for that Chris, so if mine goes from 20 - 120 then maybe 80 is about halfway on mine? If not, im very close .

Out of interest i notice you have the Arcam CD192 & i believe you used to have the 72? How much better is the 192 as i was thinking of getting one, i listen mainly to rock music especially the Chili peppers? Would it give the Chili's a boost do you rec?

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi jase, I have been reading your post and find this all gets abit involved, i set my system up with the auto set-up and this is what it done.

sub - yes

front - full band

centre - 60hz

surround - 60hz

surround back - 150hz

surround back ch - 2ch

lpf of lfe - 100hz

double bass - on

Do you think i need to alter any of this to improve the sound.

panasonic 50px70 / panasonic bd30 / panasonic dmr-ex87 / onkyo 606 / kef iQ5se's / kef iQ2c / kef iQ1's on atacama stands / 1005's for back surrounds / kef 1000.2 sub.

A

Anonymous

Question to Jase -

Do you not use the Neutrik Speakon connection off your RELS

Then you could leave speakers on large setting and taylor the bass on your subs

Unless that model REL does not have this connection type?

I use both and the sound is detailed and deep !

A

Anonymous

Im good thanks jase, i trust you are well. I was a little confused about you erm... upgrade to the pioneer
emotion-3.gif

Im following this thread with interest. I have my fronts on full, my centre, surrounds and sub set to 80 with my sub dial turned round to bypass. This was on the recommendation of the fella who set it up. I have found the sub to be a little boomy during some scenes with music (night club scenes form teh matrix movies). Maybe i should have a play around with the dial on the sub???

Funny thing is that whenever i have set up the system through the onkyo 905 auto set up its always put all satelites at full band!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
beater:
Hi jase, I have been reading your post and find this all gets abit involved, i set my system up with the auto set-up and this is what it done.

sub - yes

front - full band

centre - 60hz

surround - 60hz

surround back - 150hz

surround back ch - 2ch

lpf of lfe - 100hz

double bass - on

Do you think i need to alter any of this to improve the sound.

panasonic 50px70 / panasonic bd30 / panasonic dmr-ex87 / onkyo 606 / kef iQ5se's / kef iQ2c / kef iQ1's on atacama stands / 1005's for back surrounds / kef 1000.2 sub.
Hi Beater,

Ye those settings do seem to be abit all over the place, obviously your amp sets things up differently to my pioneer as mine doesnt do a seperate frequency for each individual channel.

If i were you id be tempted in setting them all to 80hz & see how it goes from there but id also recommend you maybe write down your original settings just in case you need to go back to them.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
soulton:
Question to Jase -

Do you not use the Neutrik Speakon connection off your RELS

Then you could leave speakers on large setting and taylor the bass on your subs

Unless that model REL does not have this connection type?

I use both and the sound is detailed and deep !
Yer i certainly do use both soulton, dont get me wrong i love the sound of both my subs, i was just originally wanting abit of confirmation really as my post suggested.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Gander:
Im good thanks jase, i trust you are well. I was a little confused about you erm... upgrade to the pioneer
emotion-3.gif

Im following this thread with interest. I have my fronts on full, my centre, surrounds and sub set to 80 with my sub dial turned round to bypass. This was on the recommendation of the fella who set it up. I have found the sub to be a little boomy during some scenes with music (night club scenes form teh matrix movies). Maybe i should have a play around with the dial on the sub???

Funny thing is that whenever i have set up the system through the onkyo 905 auto set up its always put all satelites at full band!

Hi Gander, yes mate im certainly well , me & the Denon are doing fine, ha

Your settings look good to me Gander & as for your amp putting all your satellites to full band i wouldnt complain about that as its were id recommend them to be.

And as for the matrix night club scenes theyve always been OTT anyway so i wouldnt worry about that. But it wont hurt to have a play around with your sub, to me theres no such thing as "this is the way to have your sub" i use recommendations as i guide line only to get me started then i just have a play around with it until i reach my desired setting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts