An interesting morning

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
acalex said:
Well...again this afternoon had to replan the demo with the AMS35i...because it didnt get back to the shop yet. So everything is replanned for January when I am back from Xmas. Already booked a demo for the Jadis 50S and the AMS35i with my speakers.

But since I was in the mood of listneing, I took my amp and my RX6 and went to the dealer where I tried the Plinius SA-103. This time I called in advance so the ampli was warm when we got there. I also used my source (SBT reading from USB stick, not a single problem).

We first compared CD player and SBT on a real time test...same song (as I had CD and the ripped version of that CD on the SBT) and the dealer was amazed to discover how little different there was between a 1100 eur cd player and a 150eur SBT. This difference was really subtle...a good start!

Then we played all my playlist on my Vincent. The dealer also had to admit that for the cost, the sound was correct. Then we finally got the Plinius connected...and even with my RX6 sound was much more powerfull, bass was punchy and intense, very different compared to my Vincent. This is where I found the biggest difference. We played a piano solo song (Ludovico Einaudi, an italian pianist) and the result was stunning. It looked like the piano was there in the room.

Carmina Burana was much better than Vincent...but still you could hear something was missing, sound was boxy...

Where I found an amazing difference straight away was Layla unplugged by Clapton...sound was much more focus, clear, detailed, Eric's voice was much closer, even hands clapping was more...real. I really enjoyed it...a lot, it was difficult to stop listening.

Where I couldn't find that much difference to be honest was in some Diana Kralls songs...it's true that my ears are still going through a learning process.

Then we switched to Kef ref again and tried the whole lot. That was some serious difference again...especially on Carmina Burana and on piano only songs...this was some serious sound. I definitely decided the speakers are going as well...not sure if everything is going at once (then the whole lot needs to wait a little bit) or if I upgrade the amp and hang in there...counting days to switch speaker.

At the hand Plinis SA-103 + Preamplifier was around 10k.

Looking forward to try the AMS35i now and the Jadis...then I will still try Pathos Inpol 2 and decide! I

Hi acalex

Nice one
smiley-cool.gif
Alternative speakers to also bear in mind are Monitor Audio's own Platinum Series of speakers. The PL200's and PL300's are a significant upgrade over the already impressive Silver RX6's and just as importantly Platinum speakers also work superbly with Plinius and MF amplification :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi acalex

Nice one
smiley-cool.gif
Alternative speakers to also bear in mind are Monitor Audio's own Platinum Series of speakers. The PL200's and PL300's are a significant upgrade over the already impressive Silver RX6's and just as importantly Platinum speakers also work superbly with Plinius and MF amplification :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I will keep that in mind, thanks a lot Rick! Gosh, PL300 are huge (1.2mt) with 2x8" bass drivers :dance:

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd say, you don't commit until you'll have heard what's on your list first. I guess you might be pleasantly surprised. Plinius is a representative of the SS muscle stable. you owe it to yourself to hear what agility and delicacy sounds like too.

acalex said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi acalex

Nice one
smiley-cool.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I will keep that in mind, thanks a lot Rick! Gosh, PL300 are huge (1.2mt) with 2x8" bass drivers :dance:

Hi acalex

Your welcome.

Yes, PL300's are big speakers :) and with a performance to match :twisted:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
I'd say, you don't commit until you'll have heard what's on your list first. I guess you might be pleasantly surprised. Plinius is a representative of the SS muscle stable. you owe it to yourself to hear what agility and delicacy sounds like too.

You are perfectly right, I still want to hear the whole lot. I found a shop where they have both Pathos and Unison Research. I am planning to drive there (160Km) and spend the all afternoon demoing with my RX6. Will be a lot of fun.

Hopefully in Brussels I will be able soon to demo the Jadis 50 vs the MF AMS35i. More will come on this!!!

SteveR750

Hmm I am in the minority when I was somewhat surprised to find the GX300s were all of £3k, I thought half that. I didn't think that they worked very well with the M2, though in fairness they probably would benefit from substantially more power. It was the tonal balance and almost complete lack of delicacy that put me off.

EDIT - ignore my rambling, I'm going to play the ageist card for confusing GX300 with PL300, and I can't delete the post.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Hmm I am in the minority when I was somewhat surprised to find the GX300s were all of £3k, I thought half that. I didn't think that they worked very well with the M2, though in fairness they probably would benefit from substantially more power. It was the tonal balance and almost complete lack of delicacy that put me off.

EDIT - ignore my rambling, I'm going to play the ageist card for confusing GX300 with PL300, and I can't delete the post.

As I said...wasn't very thrilled by the PL200. At least...not at that price range (6/7k eur).
But to be fair, in my opinion they need to be driven by something a bit more powerful than a 30W valve amplifier...even if it drovbe beautifully a pair of Sonus Faber costing 2k eur more than the PL200

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi acalex,

Intrestin reading :)

I see you live in Brussels so do I.

So I read you strugeled to find the right shop. I visited a couple of theme.

You might want to check: http://www.newmusic.be/ if you didn't yet. That's where I go an have to say really happy with there service.

They provably have the amps you want an the rest.

hope you share the rest of your findings soon.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
Hi acalex,

Intrestin reading :)

I see you live in Brussels so do I.

So I read you strugeled to find the right shop. I visited a couple of theme.

You might want to check: http://www.newmusic.be/ if you didn't yet. That's where I go an have to say really happy with there service.

They provably have the amps you want an the rest.

hope you share the rest of your findings soon.

Hi Roby,

if you are in Brussels I think we should meet, its difficult to find passionate people.

Yes, tried that one, they have a lot of stuff but not the correct aptitude to sell high-end stuff. They are too commercial for that, you are just another client and they try to sell you something as soon as they can. I have visited all the shops in Bx and unfortunately a part from this, the others do not have high-end gear. I found my "happyness" in Antwerp!

Ah, btw, I am going today to the shop you mentioned to listen to the AMS35i (is the only shop that has it even if I had to call 7 times to get a demo...) at 16h, feel free to pop by if you are free. Just ask of the guy who is trying the AMS35i if I am already in the demo room ;)

Stay in touch

harrydg

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
more belgians!!! good to hear. I live in Herent, work in Brussels. also (very slowly) looking for a nice hifi system (that will probably be driven by a DIY Pass Labs F5 with a B1 buffer or so). I'm not there yet, but I am looking for a store that i can visit regularly to create an idea of what is allowed (SWMBO, you see...) and what is not...

My budget will be around 2k for the speakers and cabling. Audio source will mainly be my linux pc with "some hifi card" which i don't know yet. So all the info is very welcome... and maybe a meeting too! ;))

harrydg

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
more belgians!!! good to hear. I live in Herent, work in Brussels. also (very slowly) looking for a nice hifi system (that will probably be driven by a DIY Pass Labs F5 with a B1 buffer or so). I'm not there yet, but I am looking for a store that i can visit regularly to create an idea of what is allowed (SWMBO, you see...) and what is not...

My budget will be around 2k for the speakers and cabling. Audio source will mainly be my linux pc with "some hifi card" which i don't know yet. So all the info is very welcome... and maybe a meeting too! ;))

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
harrydg said:

Let's meet for sure. I met today Roby, very nice guy from Belgium and had a demo together of a beautiful amp. Where do you live in Bx? Not sure I can write here my email as I think is against house rules...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts