An interesting morning

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
It is my belief that the transport makes an important difference, so the SBT will be the weak link in an expensive system. Anyways, there is interesting times ahead....and I will be waiting with anticipation to hear your thoughts.

This is what I keep hearing around as well...one dealer told me the exact same thing...and it makes sense I agree. I am also aware that soon the SBT will be the weakelist link...looking forward to that moment!!! :bounce: For now it works fairly well on y entry-level system and I am very happy about that!

Hi Acalex .. you may be interested in the Yamaha NPS2000 player ... I've noticed the price drop of around £600 - £700 (not sure if the price has also dropped in Europe) ... making it cheaper than a Sneaky DS albeit without the amplification. See my other thread http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/yamaha-np-s2000. It may be of interest to you since the reviews always mention "a very undigital presentation" and also supports balanced outputs which I believe the high end amplifiers you are looking at also have. (also review here ... http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-np-s2000).

acalex said:
MUSICRAFT said:
acalex said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi acalex

Nice one :)

Other than Diana Krall did you also listen to anything else?

Merry christmas

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick, to be honest didn't have much time so I listened to this cd as I know it very well. I listened to some classic from Vivaldi as well, very intense...but according to the dealer the amp wasn't warm enough yet. Unfortunately weekends at Xmas time is the worst time to have some quality listening...that's why I am planning to do a second tour in January, maybe during the week, with more music!

Hi acalex

Thanks for your reply.

When you do start your next tour of auditioning then i'll recommend that you also try Carl Orff - O Fortuna with the SA-103 (when it has warmed up though). The SA-103's quality of performance and power (with its big swing peak to peak current capability of 100A) will energize speakers and thereby enable the quality of this recording to shine :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Just tried on my actual system! I recognize is a great piece of music...but I have to admit it does not "scare me off" as I guess it is supposed to do when you listen to it live, that must be an unforgettable experience. This will indeed be a great testing for my next tour. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi acalex

Yes, O Fortuna is a great piece and there are also some great quality recordings of O Fortuna which i feel really puts components and systems to the test :) I first came across O Fortuna when this piece was used in an Old Spice (70's or 80's) advertisement. Excellent ad btw
smiley-cool.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
It is my belief that the transport makes an important difference, so the SBT will be the weak link in an expensive system. Anyways, there is interesting times ahead....and I will be waiting with anticipation to hear your thoughts.

This is what I keep hearing around as well...one dealer told me the exact same thing...and it makes sense I agree. I am also aware that soon the SBT will be the weakelist link...looking forward to that moment!!! :bounce: For now it works fairly well on y entry-level system and I am very happy about that!

Hi Acalex .. you may be interested in the Yamaha NPS2000 player ... I've noticed the price drop of around £600 - £700 (not sure if the price has also dropped in Europe) ... making it cheaper than a Sneaky DS albeit without the amplification. See my other thread http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/yamaha-np-s2000. It may be of interest to you since the reviews always mention "a very undigital presentation" and also supports balanced outputs which I believe the high end amplifiers you are looking at also have. (also review here ... http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-np-s2000).

Thanks for pointing it! I will dig more into this...I don't need internal amplification anyway. If I would ever take the Linn DS it would be either the Magic or the Akurate...was definitely better the Magic than the Sneaky.

nads

acalex said:
tino said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:

Thanks for pointing it! I will dig more into this...I don't need internal amplification anyway. If I would ever take the Linn DS it would be either the Magic or the Akurate...was definitely better the Magic than the Sneaky.

I would not be wasting my money. spend that much on a DACto go with the logitec and you would have a very good set up. But again I would not waste the money I would just spend it on Music.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well...again this afternoon had to replan the demo with the AMS35i...because it didnt get back to the shop yet. So everything is replanned for January when I am back from Xmas. Already booked a demo for the Jadis 50S and the AMS35i with my speakers.

But since I was in the mood of listneing, I took my amp and my RX6 and went to the dealer where I tried the Plinius SA-103. This time I called in advance so the ampli was warm when we got there. I also used my source (SBT reading from USB stick, not a single problem).

We first compared CD player and SBT on a real time test...same song (as I had CD and the ripped version of that CD on the SBT) and the dealer was amazed to discover how little different there was between a 1100 eur cd player and a 150eur SBT. This difference was really subtle...a good start!

Then we played all my playlist on my Vincent. The dealer also had to admit that for the cost, the sound was correct. Then we finally got the Plinius connected...and even with my RX6 sound was much more powerfull, bass was punchy and intense, very different compared to my Vincent. This is where I found the biggest difference. We played a piano solo song (Ludovico Einaudi, an italian pianist) and the result was stunning. It looked like the piano was there in the room.

Carmina Burana was much better than Vincent...but still you could hear something was missing, sound was boxy...

Where I found an amazing difference straight away was Layla unplugged by Clapton...sound was much more focus, clear, detailed, Eric's voice was much closer, even hands clapping was more...real. I really enjoyed it...a lot, it was difficult to stop listening.

Where I couldn't find that much difference to be honest was in some Diana Kralls songs...it's true that my ears are still going through a learning process.

Then we switched to Kef ref again and tried the whole lot. That was some serious difference again...especially on Carmina Burana and on piano only songs...this was some serious sound. I definitely decided the speakers are going as well...not sure if everything is going at once (then the whole lot needs to wait a little bit) or if I upgrade the amp and hang in there...counting days to switch speaker.

At the hand Plinis SA-103 + Preamplifier was around 10k.

Looking forward to try the AMS35i now and the Jadis...then I will still try Pathos Inpol 2 and decide! I

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Did you compare the SBT with the CDP through the Kefs, which are very revealing of what's upstream?

Will be very intrigued with how you find the AMS35i vs the Plinius...they both give sweet, open, powerful and exciting neutrality. I suspect the MF will give you what you want for a bit less...but we shall see.

Keep in mind that a system of that quality is crying out for a great source, in order to hear it near its potential.

Glad you're enjoying the process.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Did you compare the SBT with the CDP through the Kefs, which are very revealing of what's upstream? Will be very intrigued with how you find the AMS35i vs the Plinius...they both give sweet, open, powerful and exciting neutrality. I suspect the MF will give you what you want for a bit less...but we shall see. Keep in mind that a system of that quality is crying out for a great source, in order to hear it near its potential. Glad you're enjoying the process.

Mmm, not sure to be honest. I can't be remember cz we switched so many times cables. It was probably through my speakers...

Yes, I am intrigued myself as I am waiting for so long a demo with the AMS35i. Pity I can't compare the two as it's two different shops, I might ask the Plinius dealer to borrow the AMS from the other shop..

I am actually reconsidering if buying second hand would not be a good idea. Still have to hear the price of the AMS as the dealer said he might give me an ex-demo price... Plinius is much easier to find second hand in Italy...at half the value.

Would you say the AMS will have more or less same type of sound as the Plinius?

Yes I know, source is extremely important at this level...but I guess by the time I will change the speakers, the next year bonus might be around...so a good source will be much easier to afford.
Anyway I am really enjoying the process to be honest!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

Very hard question to answer as I've not compared the two.....but if I had to guess, I would say they are in the same ballpark. I expect they would be closer to each other, than to a valve amp, or even to the Pathos.

I think the Plinius has the interesting feature, that it can be switched to A/B, so it can be left on, or used for low level listening/AV (in A/B), without draining the grid.

Soon you will be able to tell me.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Very hard question to answer as I've not compared the two.....but if I had to guess, I would say they are in the same ballpark. I expect they would be closer to each other, than to a valve amp, or even to the Pathos. I think the Plinius has the interesting feature, that it can be switched to A/B, so it can be left on, or used for low level listening/AV (in A/B), without draining the grid. Soon you will be able to tell me.

Yes, if it doesn't get music through for 15 (30 or 45...I think this can be changed) minutes, it automatically switchs into AB mode. Interesting because if I am throwing a party I might just use the AB mode... can't wait to compare the two!
Really fell in love with the Kef ref...they are very nice speakers and nicely built...love the glossy finish...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Really fell in love with the Kef ref...they are very nice speakers and nicely built...love the glossy finish...

..Yup! (Mine are gloss Cherry)

They have a big sweet spot, due to the tweeter being inside the mid range unit, and boundary compensation, allowing closer placement to the wall.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

..Yup! (Mine are gloss Cherry) They have a big sweet spot, due to the tweeter being inside the mid range unit, and boundary compensation, allowing closer placement to the wall.

Exactly like the ones I tried, gloss cherry. Alternative would be Sonus Faber, but I think they are overpriced due probably to the design as well, right?

Absolutely love the Amati Futura...but wayyy to expensive (for now at least) :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Exactly like the ones I tried, gloss cherry. Alternative would be Sonus Faber, but I think they are overpriced due probably to the design as well, right?

You have great taste in speakers, my friend. Now if I had £20k lying about......

SF do have the Cremona Collection.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

You have great taste in speakers, my friend. Now if I had £20k lying about...... SF do have the Cremona Collection.

Yes...but usually things I like a lot are also very expensive! ;)

Cremonas look very nice as well...of course nothing compared to some red glossy Amati Futura :bounce:

Have you ever compared any SF with the Kef ref?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The guy today at the shop was thrilled by a French brand of speakers...never heard of it: Cabasse. They integrate a separate amplifier for the bass only. It said was a bit more expensive than Kef ref but also very very good.

Didn't have an opportunity to try though...I think it was the Pacific 3 model in black. Quite big speakers (very tall)...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Have you ever compared any SF with the Kef ref?

Not directly, I'm afraid.

The SF sound is a bit more coloured (in a good way, like a valve amp)...it's almost like a musical instrument, rather than a reference monitor.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
tino said:
http://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-two-tower

Check out the reviews .. has a powered subwoofer like the Cabasses.

Heard of that...there was a quick review on the forum...I think Oldric...and he wrote good things about them...given the price!

Well remembered .. he was very impressed and even went as far as saying "I'm thinking about getting those speakers first and then I could upgrade my amp to Pathos Inpol, in which case even 10W Inpol Remix will be sufficient." ...

Does this sound like your perfect system? ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
acalex said:
tino said:
http://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-two-tower

Check out the reviews .. has a powered subwoofer like the Cabasses.

Heard of that...there was a quick review on the forum...I think Oldric...and he wrote good things about them...given the price!

Well remembered .. he was very impressed and even went as far as saying "I'm thinking about getting those speakers first and then I could upgrade my amp to Pathos Inpol, in which case even 10W Inpol Remix will be sufficient." ...

Does this sound like your perfect system? ;)

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS