Amps that cannot process audio via HDMI

SouthaK

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Why? Why do they exist?

I have been trying to help a friend sort out his cabling and couldn't understand why he got no sound via HDMI through his amp, so I check the specs online and found that his amp is incapable of processing audio via HDMI, it only passes through to the TV.

What is the point of such devices, which are no better than powered HDMI switches? I was stunned that (after calling him an idito for not knowing how to set up his amp) such devices are or were ever made?

Can someone enlighten me as to the thinking behind these "amps"?

Kevin.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
It must be very old. The first generation of HDMI equipped AV Receivers simply switched it. I guess they were just cashing in as HDMI audio processing appeared not long afterwards. Even Arcam got in on the act BTW so it wasn't just budget models! Even the ability to handle LPCM has been around for years now. I can't think of any current AV Receiver that can't handle audio over HDMI. Which AV Receiver is it?

SouthaK

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
It's a H/K AVR141. He says it was a 2009 model bought in 2010. I told him he was a numpty.

I just don't see a reason why they exist.

Sony lower end models do/did the same thing.

A

Anonymous

My Arcam AVR 280 is the same. No sound Via HDMI it does however do a perfect job for my set up. Given my Panasonic telly only has 2 HDMI the 2 in and 1 out on the back of the Arcam lets me send everything i need in 0's and 1's High def to the telly.

Sky goes direct into the TV via HDMI and sound to the amp via optical ( no HD sound on sky so no loss there)

Xbox into to Amp ( HDMI picture and Optical sound) again no HD sound for Xbox so does the job.

Sony blu ray into Amp ( HDMI picture and coaxial for sound) i did use the Sony's multi channel outputs BUT the raw but plain 5.1 sounds better IMO.

Given i used to own a Onkyo 875 that did HD sound i can say wihout a shadow of doubt that plain old 5.1 on the Arcam run rings around it. i also still use my from new Arcam 88+ dvd and it really does sing in plain 5.1. far far superior to HD sound out of the Onkyo.

best piece of trading i ever did , was ditching the Onkyo with all its THX and HDMI inputs and "superior :hand: " HD sound for the Arcam that has about 2 logos on the front. does not just outperform the Onkyo it crushes it flat.

alimcd

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Singlemalt here, a great amp, like your Arcam, fed regular dolby/dts will often outperform a newer midrange amp fed hd formats. I think you've hit the nail on the head why...

your Arcam has only got two logos on the front!

This has allowed for far more of the budget to be spent on the actual amplification. Don't get me wrong, the Onkyo was a brilliant amp and this years version is excellent too, but for that £700 you're paying for an Audessy logo, Thx logo, Qdeo/faroudja logo etc. This is why I'm sticking with my old 640r until it melts (it has 6 logos on the front, so by my maths that makes your amp 3x better :? )

When HDMI started being the norm, I picked up a Pioneer VSX-LX51, it was definitely a more detailed sound thanks to the extra resolution of the HD audio, but it only stayed in the living room for a month before the 640r came back out of its box.

In regards to the original post though. Back when Hdmi was in its infancy, most screens only had one Hdmi input, so at their most basic, they were a massive Hdmi splitter. There were some oddities though and some early Hdmi equipped amps were capable of recieving 1 bit DSD audio, as long as you had a compatible source.

Ali

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Check the specs closely. I have a Sony STRDA3300ES of around 2008 vintage, that can't decode HD sound formats received via HDMI, but it can process 7.1ch LPCM, so I simply set the bluray player to decode the HD soundtracks to LPCM. Your friend might be able to do the same. i agre if the AV amp can't handle at least that then it's a bit of a chocolate teapot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts