Getting Sky to another room via HDMI over Cat 6

bladeraptor

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Newb question.

I will occasionally want to watch Sky in the bedroom. I am running Cat 6 with HDMI terminations from the lounge where the Sky box is to the bedroom

I have a TV, Amp etc in the bedroom and was wondering if I could take an output from the amp in my lounge as an input into the amp in the bedroom for outputting the video on the bedroom dispay and controlling the adudio via the second amp?

The Sky box will be going into the lounge Amp via HDMI and that amp has a zone feature - though this may just relate to remote speakers - but if one of the outputs of that amp could get the video / audio signal to the amp in the bedroom using HDMI over Cat 6 (as I would prefer to play the sound through the AV amp in the bedroom - rather than going to the TV in the bedroom and its speakers directly)

The question is firstly will I potentially create an issue for the amps linking them in this way (not sure how it eould, but as HDMI is 'powered' want to be sure I am not missing something obvious)

The other question is whether I would get double bubble on the volume adjustment for the sound - clearly the HDMI into the amp is at 'line rate' - the volume is not amplified in any way (but never having done it - is that true of the HDMI output from the amp (as again one typically takes vision from the amp down the HDMI output into the display device - but not sound?) Or maybe it has been a while and I don't remeber simply turning the volume down on the TV as I was using the audio on the amp?

My questions here relates to not wanting to have two places to adjust volume, the volume control on the first amp and the volume control on the second amp.

Here is the audio 'route'

Line in volume level via the HDMI connection from the Sky box into the first AV amp source input (I haven't got my Sky box yet so presuming at this stage that the HDMI is configured to carry both Audio and Video?)

Video and audio signal processed in the amp and audio avaialble locally on the lounge Amp

The Audio and Video signal are then sent out via the HDMI output on the first amp - is the audio still at 'line in' volume levels when sent out the output HDMI on the lounge Amp?

From the HDMI output of the lounge Amp, I take the HDMI feed into the input of the Bedroom Amp and then take the HDMI output of the Bedroom Amp into the TV via HDMI and I will also hopefully have full control over the Audio levels on the Sky programming locally in the Bedroom via the volume control of just the Bedroom Amp? (supposing that I can connect the two amps together in the first place?)

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that should work. You should set your lounge AMP to pass-trough audio on the HDMI out. The audio won't have any volume leveling applied to it.

There are 2 possiblities for your setup:

1. The amp in the lounge has a HDMI out for second zone: in this case you can just connect your bedroom amp to this second zone output.

2. The amp in the loung doesn't have a second HDMI out: in this case you will have to use a HDMI splitter to split the signal to the television in the lounge and to the amp in the bedroom.

You should keep in mind that you will always have to turn on the amp in the lounge and set it to the correct input before you can watch television in the bedroom. Also changing the channel in the bedroom won't be possible, unless you use an IR extender.

I don't know the situation in the UK, but wouldn't it be easier to just put a second Sky box in the bedroom? Or are they very expensive?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts