Amplify signal between preamp amd amp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Vladimir said:
He is simply not utilizing it properly due to ignorance. Buying another preamp will metamorphosize ignorance into sheer stupidity.

I'm sure the advice was helpful, but was the rudeness necessary?

Totally unnecessary. I apologize to the thread participants.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Vladimir said:
He is simply not utilizing it properly due to ignorance. Buying another preamp will metamorphosize ignorance into sheer stupidity.

I didn't interpret it as rude. Vlad just used the word 'ignorance' properly: unaware of facts/truth. Also sandwiching another pre-amp between the TT and integrated amp would have been stupid (but was suggested in innocent ignorance).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
thescarletpronster said:
Vladimir said:

I didn't interpret it as rude. Vlad just used the word 'ignorance' properly: unaware of facts/truth. Also sandwiching another pre-amp between the TT and integrated amp would have been stupid (but was suggested in innocent ignorance).

Thanks Major. I see that it reads dry and might come off abrasive. However, no insult intended towards anyone.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Think some people just look for opportunities to be offended, and seem to seize at them even when clearly none was intended. I'm not meaning to single out tsp, I mean in general. Every internet forum seems to have them. And I often wonder how they survive real life.

Canguino Purlat

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Well, there are preamps, and there are phono preamps. A simple preamp only amplifies signal, a phono preamp amplifies signal and changes its EQ to accommodate the RIAA curve. The OP has a TT with an integrated phono preamp, but perceives too low volume. He can add another simple preamp between the TT output and his main amplifier to increase volume. This extra preamp doesn't need to be a phono stage, it can be a normal preamp, as the integrated one has already changed the EQ. But he will end with too much volume increase if he goes this way.

I believe it will be better for him to stay with his equipment as it is, as long as the signal is not distorted nor clipped. But if he really needs more volume without turning knob past 12, he can bypass the integrated phono stage and use an external one with more output (and I think this is not possible with its TT). In this case, he can sell the TT and buy another one without the built-in phono stage, and purchase a more powerful separate phono unit. There are not expensive phono preamps on the market: Pro-Ject, Cambridge, even Graham Slee basic line...

He can also buy a more powerful amplifier... Or more sensitive speakers...

I still think the best solution is to stay as it is now, and listen to music with knob past 12, if the sound is not distorted.

Canguino Purlat

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I was not suggesting adding another preamp, the amp has already one and it makes not much sense doing something like this. I was just hypothesizing what would happen if you add one in that equipment: obviously too much gain and clipping. Maybe I didn't express my idea correctly, as English is not my native language.

On your specific point, when LP was the main source, and CD players arrived with a 2 volt max output, they played too loud for most amps! Typical radio tuners at the time were more like 500mv. Attenuators are still available to make cd players match better!

Things are not much different today, and you should be using around 70% or more of your volume control to get best results. With most CD players that is too loud!

As others have said, you only clip an amplifier's output when too many watts reach the speakers. That won't happen readily with a 'quieter' source like a turntable.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thansk for the response, Vlad. I didn't imagine that you meant to be rude (I kind of saw it probably as the Major did) but I could see that it could easily seem rude and personal to someone new to hi-fi and to this forum. Anyway, all cleared up!

D

Deleted member 108165

nopiano said:
On your specific point, when LP was the main source, and CD players arrived with a 2 volt max output, they played too loud for most amps! Typical radio tuners at the time were more like 500mv. Attenuators are still available to make cd players match better!

Things are not much different today, and you should be using around 70% or more of your volume control to get best results. With most CD players that is too loud!

As others have said, you only clip an amplifier's output when too many watts reach the speakers. That won't happen readily with a 'quieter' source like a turntable.

This is what I was alluding to in my previous post, but you have put it much better than I ever could *good* I was going to suggest passive attenuators on the CD input to equalize/match the volume dial travel for all inputs, plus increased dial travel percentage. Rothwell's work a treat on my amp.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
brownz said:
Another option is to take the onboard phono amp out of the equation and just terminate to a dumb RCA junction box which are available as spares. Then utilise an external / better phono stage. I've done this on quite a few of these Debut Carbon Phono USBs for customers wanting to use better Phono stages. Not plugging us in any way but they are https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/RCA-Junction-Box-p1245 other juntion boxes may well be available, but may not fit ! But, yes, wholeheartedly agree with turning up the volume to acheive a required listening volume !! :)

That would null its already low resale value. I'd keep it as is untill my vinyl collection grows and I'm sure it's not just a fad for me. Then invest in a quality TT that is beyond a glossy chopping board, rubber band and a cassette deck motor.

Lol. Cassette deck motors are a lot smaller and a lot better engineered than 99% of TT motors ;-) ;-)

DougK said:
nopiano said:

This is what I was alluding to in my previous post, but you have put it much better than I ever could *good* I was going to suggest passive attenuators on the CD input to equalize/match the volume dial travel for all inputs, plus increased dial travel percentage. Rothwell's work a treat on my amp.
I stopped short of mentioning Rothwells so you've iced the cake, thanks Doug!

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
brownz said:
Vladimir said:
brownz said:
Another option is to take the onboard phono amp out of the equation and just terminate to a dumb RCA junction box which are available as spares. Then utilise an external / better phono stage. I've done this on quite a few of these Debut Carbon Phono USBs for customers wanting to use better Phono stages. Not plugging us in any way but they are https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/RCA-Junction-Box-p1245 other juntion boxes may well be available, but may not fit ! But, yes, wholeheartedly agree with turning up the volume to acheive a required listening volume !! :)

That would null its already low resale value. I'd keep it as is untill my vinyl collection grows and I'm sure it's not just a fad for me. Then invest in a quality TT that is beyond a glossy chopping board, rubber band and a cassette deck motor.

Lol. Cassette deck motors are a lot smaller and a lot better engineered than 99% of TT motors ;-) ;-)

I stand corrected. Should have said a frappe whisker. *biggrin*

other-3214-4653972-1-product.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts