Amplifiers : for JPW Sonatas

Milo

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I recently acquired some second hand JPW Sonatas, after searching for the best set up I could at a low price range. They're really nice pieces of kit, and they sound pretty good through my radio, but I don't really know what I should go for amplifier wise?

I've been advised that a 60W amp would be good (they're rated 70W with an 8ohm impedance) but it's really hard trying to find amps by their specifications.

I was just wondering what anyone else with some Sonatas uses/used to get a decent sound; It's only really for my smallish room, listening to jazz/fusion/funk, and doing a bit of recording onto my computer.

Thanks for anyone who can give me a hand!

Milo

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I bought a pair of these very good speakers for a second system a couple of years ago and used a Yamaha CRX550 from Richer Sounds to drive them - pretty good for a budget system

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Nice cheap speakers that are easy to drive and sound good with decent budget equipment. Almost any compedent modern amplifier should drive them well.

Even a nice little 30 watt model will do fine, whatever you fancy really, I quite like the small Denon PMAs or if buying used I would look for an Arcam or Creek at the right money. Keep it reasonably modern though.

Davedotco's reply is good, these speakers can be driven quite happily by any reasonable amp.

Don't know where the 60 watt minimum advice came from but it's incorrect. I had a pair of these when they first came out and drove them with a 25 watt amp. Never expected to want to play them at disco-type volume levels but they went loud enough. Best sited on some decent speaker stands but quite happy close to a rear wall in a medium sized room as I recall.

TRENDING THREADS