amplifiers - back to basics...

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

what would the manufacturing cost be if a solid state amplifier was built that had just a single analogue input, a remote for the volume control and just a basic casework minus all the "bling" and nothing else ?

(think a simple box with just a volume control plus just a single light to show its on).

for arguments sake lets presume the company had the same buying power / economies of scale that the largest current hifi companies have so the amplifier in question included all the best parts that are currently available.

overall an amplifier that is just "a straight wire with gain"...

Probably not much less than something more usable, with a few more inputs. Something like this, maybe?

Of course, manufacturing cost versus retail price, with all the attendant markups is a debate in itself.

There are some fairly nasty Chinese T-class amps for under £100 that you can find on eBay etc that meet your requirements, but personally I’d not risk the house fire that might ensue.

TrevC

what would the manufacturing cost be if a solid state amplifier was built that had just a single analogue input, a remote for the volume control and just a basic casework minus all the "bling" and nothing else ?

(think a simple box with just a volume control plus just a single light to show its on).

for arguments sake lets presume the company had the same buying power / economies of scale that the largest current hifi companies have so the amplifier in question included all the best parts that are currently available.

overall an amplifier that is just "a straight wire with gain"...
It would probably be given an idiotic name and cost a fortune!

TrevC

Probably not much less than something more usable, with a few more inputs. Something like this, maybe?

Of course, manufacturing cost versus retail price, with all the attendant markups is a debate in itself.

There are some fairly nasty Chinese T-class amps for under £100 that you can find on eBay etc that meet your requirements, but personally I’d not risk the house fire that might ensue.

There were a number of perfectly good amps that sold for around £100. This one for example. https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/93872770

D

Deleted member 116933

As with all things. It depends! it reallly doesn’t get much more simple then my sugden a21 and my nad c320bee. One 200quid the other 2k. Both very simple. Both as analogue as they come, with only handful of inputs between them. Inputs really cost nothing to implement, pennies on the dollar tbh.

Then you have brands such as audio note and first watt, luxman and so on. They have some very simple designs in there catalogues but cost many more pennies then I have.

Boils down to economies of scale really. Some brands are mass produced using cheaper parts, made in China type affairs. Others are hand made using slightly higher grade parts in made here in merry old England and far less of them.

What I have learnt is simplicity can cost a lot of money indeed. But can also be very cheap.

D

Deleted member 188516

The one I quoted was still available new around 8 years ago. The NAD was pretty ordinary really.

thanks for replies lads all appreciated.

the question was though if a (brand new) solid state amplifier could be made today with the best components (bought at maximum economies of scale hence as cheap as possible) but with the minimal of features (hence just a single analogue input) with very basic case work what would it cost ?

(i have been told some amps have a rrp of 10 times the actual cost to make !).

thanks for replies lads all appreciated.

the question was though if a (brand new) solid state amplifier could be made today with the best components (bought at maximum economies of scale hence as cheap as possible) but with the minimal of features (hence just a single analogue input) with very basic case work what would it cost ?

(i have been told some amps have a rrp of 10 times the actual cost to make !).
Nobody sensible would produce such a device in today's climate so cost is irrelevant.

D

Deleted member 188516

Nobody sensible would produce such a device in today's climate so cost is irrelevant.

i believe there are kits / parts readily available so a d.i.y project amplifier (with the features mentioned) could be possible.

i have been told some amps have a rrp of 10 times the actual cost to make !
Frankly, I wouldn’t be shocked if that wasn’t pretty much the norm, especially for anything made in the PRC.

£60 to make, £40 to package and ship, £140 for the importer, £50 in advertising, £30 for distribution and storage, £180 for the dealer. That’s £500. Add 20% VAT. That’s £600 retail.

Pretty much guesswork, with a bit of familiarity, and might not be far off the mark. Does anyone know better?

Gray

...just a single analogue input....just a basic casework
I bought one for someone just to power his old music centre speakers.
In a blind test, at normal listening level, many people would be amazed at the sound 20 quid can get you.
Edit: No remote control, so maybe £20 is a bit much :LOL:.

D

Deleted member 188516

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts