Amplifier Supertest......best buy ?

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
I'm trying to pick up a bargain 2nd hand amp over on e-bay and I've narrowed it down to the following, could anyone with any experience with any(or all/some) of these amps chip in their experience to get me the best amp for my money....

Arcam Alpha

Arcam Alpha 3

NAD c370

Rotel RA-920 AXII

Rotel RA-930AX

Rotel RA-921

Cambridge Audio Azur 340 A

Mission Cyrus 2 + PSX Power supply

Mission Cyrus 1

Denon DRA-455 stereo receiver.....

This will be an 'occasional' set up in my office and for now will be used with a Denon 2800 II DVD/CD player and an old pair of Eltax speakers......

It is looking like I will be able to get any of these for £50-100(the Denon receiver is 'Buy it Now' for 25 quid !)

Any help greatly appreciated.....

T

the record spot

Think I'd be looking at the NAD or the Mission pre/power combo m'self. Both great amps. Rotel next.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The NAD or the Cyrus 2 and PSX would be my choice.

Im a massive Arcam fan but the Arcam Alpha and Alpha 3 amps werent that good.

A

Anonymous

i borrowd/fixed an arcam alpha for a few days, i liked it quite alot. nice build as well.

i have a rotel ra 930ax . i use it with my mordaunt short 902i's, i think it maches them quit well. i prefer the sound of my nad 3240pe other this amp.

i find it paints a slightly swishy soundstage and i find it harder to pick out parts of the sound when using this amp. i still havnt decided on weather to settle on m NAD or the Rotel for my main 2ch system.

it is a nice amp though. it seems to have lots of bass and the power rating of 30wrms is a little irrelevent unless you like your music real loud. i also quite like the headphone output on this amp.

out of your list i would try to get either the arcam alpha or a mission cyrus

340a's get good reviews and with them being newer prehaps it is likley to last longer.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
lcd4ever:

I'm trying to pick up a bargain 2nd hand amp over on e-bay and I've narrowed it down to the following, could anyone with any experience with any(or all/some) of these amps chip in their experience to get me the best amp for my money....

Arcam Alpha

Arcam Alpha 3

NAD c370

Rotel RA-920 AXII

Rotel RA-930AX

Rotel RA-921

Cambridge Audio Azur 340 A

Mission Cyrus 2 + PSX Power supply

Mission Cyrus 1

Denon DRA-455 stereo receiver.....

This will be an 'occasional' set up in my office and for now will be used with a Denon 2800 II DVD/CD player and an old pair of Eltax speakers......

It is looking like I will be able to get any of these for £50-100(the Denon receiver is 'Buy it Now' for 25 quid !)

Any help greatly appreciated.....

To be honest you could pick up an Arcam alpha 8 for less than £100 easily on fleabay

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Thought about the later Arcams but I have an Alpha II on my bedroom system with the Alpha cd player and I love the sound so was looking for something a little different.....

Another contender may be the Audiolab 8000A a few up for auction atm.....how does this amp fair in the above company ?

A

Anonymous

lcd4ever:
Thought about the later Arcams but I have an Alpha II on my bedroom system with the Alpha cd player and I love the sound so was looking for something a little different.....

Another contender may be the Audiolab 8000A a few up for auction atm.....how does this amp fair in the above company ?

The Audiolab is comparable to the Mission Cyrus...just much better! A really nice amp!

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
So now there are only 2 contenders the Cyrus + PSX and the Audiolab 8000A.........if both were the same price say £100 which would you guys pick and why.....bearing in mind that this will be a CD based system.......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts