amplifier over heating when driven hard.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
marantz amp pm7200. 8-16 ohm speakers recommended.

canton floor stander speakers 4-8 ohm impedance.

Any recomendations on this problem?

thank tony

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sorry not meant to be a totally fatuous answer: the Marantz is a pretty robust amp, and to drive it hard enough that it overheats must be pushing it well into distortion territory, which would eventually damage the speakers.

If you really must run it that loud, you need a (much) more powerful amp.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The Marantz is run quite warm anyway but yes, second Andrew that the amp can go very loud without too much stress so if you think it's over heating may be something wrong, either with your amp or your ears, why not pop in to next door and see if they are still there!? or make sure the Class A button is not on.

A

Anonymous

What size room have you got that you're driving it that hard?

A

Anonymous

If it's anything like the PM4001 I'd dump it sharpish,jeez,that got hot,and smelt.You have two possibilities,get more efficient speakers,or a more powerful amplifier.Do you mean though the case is getting hot?,or that it is cutting out when driven hard?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have to question the levels you guys run at it the amp gets hot and smells. Never encountered that myself, even with the ludicrous levels I at which used to run the WHF demo rigs at shows in the pre Sound and Vision days. Still remember the looks of terror when we blasted out the KLF's America: What Time Is Love?

A

Anonymous

i get the same problem with my azur 640 v2 but i do admit i push it a lot, a lot more then its suposed to. its just that when i put metallica on i need to feel as if thy're actualy in the room... sad but true!

A

Anonymous

I only ever noticed the smell from the Marantz 4001,horrid little thing,was played loud but just smelt all the time.I used to have a PM44SE many moons ago,that never smelt bad though.

A

Anonymous

well, if you want to match your speakers impedance you could bung an audio transformer between your amp and your speakers.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/basics/audio-transformers.htm

It's going to effect your sound quality, though I am not sure how badly. The other bonus, though, is that it will provide full DC protection to your speakers because they will be DC isolated, your amp will be driving the primary transformer winding, not the speakers. The secondary transformer winding can step down the voltage one half, effectively doubling your speaker impedance.

It's worth noting that this sort of thing is normally done as part of a tuned speaker enclosure, I would have thought.... But hang on, are you sure it's 8-16 ohms recommended load for that amp? sounds a bit high to me.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="sex"]its just that when i put metallica on i need to feel as if thy're actualy in the room... sad but true![/quote]

Trouble is, these musician chappies tend to use quite a lot of power to get that sound. Last time I saw The 'Oo I was talking to someone who was involved in the sound system, and asked what sort of amp power they were running.

The answer? 120kW, give or take...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Marantz's spec

Power Output (8/4 Ohm RMS) 95/155 Watts
(Class A: 25 Watts)
Power Output (8/4 Ohm DIN) 105/165 Watts
Power Output (8/4 Ohm IHF) 120/185 Watts
Frequency Response 10Hz-50kHz (+0,-1dB)
Total Harmonic Distortion 0.03%
Bridged Power Output (8 Ohm RMS) -
Damping Factor 150
Input Sensitivity: MM 2.5 mV / 47 kOhm
Input Sensitivity: MC -
Input Sensitivity: High level 150mV /40kOhm
Signal to Noise Ratio MM/MC/High Level 85/-/88 dB
Channel separation: 1kHz / 10kHz >80/70 dB

A

Anonymous

dno worry andrew im not gonna ask u if i can buy a 120kw power amp and im not about to start y cabling monobloks one on to of the other to get that sortof power 2 300w power amp will do me fine or maybe 4................

A

Anonymous

i would love a pair of super chargers but unfortunatly i only hearn 20k a year so no chargers!

A

Anonymous

Well that's that stymied then...

what does that mean in english mate

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
sty£mie also sty£my
tr.v. sty£mied (-m
emacr.gif
d), sty£mie£ing also sty£my£ing (-m
emacr.gif
-
ibreve.gif
ng), sty£mies (-m
emacr.gif
z) To thwart; stump: a problem in thermodynamics that stymied half the class.n.1. An obstacle or obstruction.2. Sports A situation in golf in which an opponent's ball obstructs the line of play of one's own ball on the putting green.
You'll have to buy some less expensive power amps. Mate.

A

Anonymous

dont worry mate when i go home for holyday in italy i use dady's power amp! ( musical fidelity)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
SEX, You are Italian??? I am going to Tuscany in a few days time, Any tips for the trip? and How easy is it to watch the mighty Milan at San Siro?

A

Anonymous

order fiorentina for two and roket n parmesan with chianti no starters i doubt ull eat 1.2 kg of beef... football wise i really dont know im sardinian not tuscan sorry mate

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts