Amplifier for Tannoy XT6F???

manufelices

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello! I have a pair of Tannoy XT6F that I had matched with a NADc355bee. The truth is that I'm not very satisfied with the sound after trying it for a few weeks and I'm looking for an amplifier. Among my candidates are the Arcam fmj a19, the Naim nait 5i (second hand) or the CA CXA 80. Any recommendations?

insider9

I don't know that particular amp but Tannoy with NAD on paper should work. Unless the setup is wrong or OPs using a bright source.

I would probably not try Naim or Cambridge with these speakers. Arcam could work. I've heard the previous iteration DC6T with lots of different amps. So all of this is based on these and not XT6F. If they're anything alike and I've been told they are in many ways, it would be best to aim for amp with sweeter or at least not harsh treble and on a smoother/warmer side. Or simply expected something different.

newlash09 said:
That he might be finding the sound too forward and tiring. The bass could also be too much for his room, if it is small.

There are too many unknowns here and we don't know why he thought these speakers would suit his room or that amp. We also have no idea as to his ears or what is missing. There are amps that are sympathetic to Tannoys of this type but until we have more input I v wary of making suggestions. Budget might help too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Arcam could work. I've heard the previous iteration DC6T with lots of different amps. So all of this is based on these and not XT6F. If they're anything alike and I've been told they are in many ways, it would be best to aim for amp with sweeter or at least not harsh treble and on a smoother/warmer side.
This would also be my advise. Tannoy can sound shouty if the amp is too forward or clinical (IMO).

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Surprised by the lack of punch and dynamics. NAD amps don't lack either from my experience. And the speakers are also known for a invigorating presentation. Could it be that the dac is doing a poor job. Do you have any friends to borrow a DAC for a day to test if this is indeed the problem.

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
I had roksan Kandy with tannoy dc6 and it sounded great

I agree. I'd get a Kandy L3 specifically for Tannoys. It will have the best tonal balance at an awesome second hand prices circa £250. That will deliver punch and grip that's needed to get decent enough bass from them.

rainsoothe

manufelices said:
The source is a DAC Cambridge Audio mahic plus, a Pioneer N30 as streamer and a Thorens. The sound is good but I miss more punch and dinamic.

I blame most of your problems on the DAC and streamer - they are both pretty thin sounding. You should sort your sources before amplification, IMO. Also, what phono pre and cartridge are you using with the thorens? And what speaker cable and interconnects?

manufelices

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Anyway, I have decided at change the amplifier and the original questions was ”Among my candidates are the Arcam fmj a19, the Naim nait 5i (second hand) or the CA CXA 80. Any recommendations?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
manufelices said:
Anyway, I have decided at change the amplifier and  the original questions was ”Among my candidates are the Arcam fmj a19, the Naim nait 5i (second hand) or the CA CXA 80. Any recommendations?

My recommendation based on other peoples experience with those amps will be the arcam fmj19. The arcams smooth sound should pair well with the excitement of the tannoy's. The naim might give you too vigorous presentation. But ultimately you might end up liking that too. But the arcam would be a safer bet.

Having said that, I suspect the lack of punch and dynamics is coming from your DAC. So would be worth your while to make sure that is not actually the case. Or you might be disappointed with your new amp too.

insider9

manufelices said:
Anyway, I have decided at change the amplifier and  the original questions was ”Among my candidates are the Arcam fmj a19, the Naim nait 5i (second hand) or the CA CXA 80. Any recommendations?
I originally said Arcam as it's the best tonal match. But if you're missing punch and dynamics than I'd suggest neither of the three. Both Naim and Cambridge would pack more punch but are unlikely to a good match for speakers.

If you have an opportunity go out and listen.

rainsoothe

manufelices said:
Ok. I would say Arcam too.... maybe Naim is too much, that’s why i was thinking about Rotel

Rotel will have the same problem as Naim, but more gray sounding - as in uninvolving. You should try to demo anyway. I think I heard the Arcam irdac too, and it's good - but again, you need to hear it in context: your amp, your speakers, your music and preferably your room. Btw, not all Naim amplification is aggressive - Unitiqute 2, Superuniti and Nait XS (first gen) or Nait 5i (2) fall into that category, and all their amps are sensitive about their cabling (for instance, Tellurium Q Blue takes a lot of the edge off, or the TQ Black 2 for higher level stuff - keeping the Naim traits but bringing more naturalness)

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello, just to find out if it is really the amp which causes the problem, maybe it would be better to skip the dacs, and try a fully analogue way. CXA80 has the punch you may need, however I think it would not be the greatest with your Tannoys. Are you sure your room and your speakers are well arranged?

manufelices said:
I found a good offer for an Arcam. Vi will see! Thanks a lot for help! By the way, any suggestion about thw DAC? Did you try the IrDac?
I’m not sure if you’re buying in the U.K. or elsewhere, but the A19 was discontinued a while back, so definitely expect a good discount.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts