Amplification Upgrade

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I am considering upgrading my ampflication and would like some advice. Budget would be £2.5k max. and would like opinions on how to get the best sound for pound. Would a pre/power combo be better than an integrated at the same money? I like the Roksan sound and I hear a pre/power should be added to their new M2 range fairly shortly,what are the advantages (if any) of 2 boxes over 1? Any other suggestions welcome,thanks

basshound said:
I am considering upgrading my ampflication and would like some advice. Budget would be £2.5k max. and would like opinions on how to get the best sound for pound. Would a pre/power combo be better than an integrated at the same money? I like the Roksan sound and I hear a pre/power should be added to their new M2 range fairly shortly,what are the advantages (if any) of 2 boxes over 1? Any other suggestions welcome,thanks

Hi basshound

A pre/power combination with their seperate chassis, power supplies, reduced interference etc. should in theory ultimately perform better then a similarly priced single chassis amplifier however fortunately this isn't always the case. An integrated solution can benefit from taking up less space, less cabling and cost saving, possibility of reduced power consumption, elimination of ground loops etc.

Anyway in addition to the M2 Series an amplifier which i'll highly recommend is ATC's superb SIA2-150 MK2. The SIA2-150 MK2 with its (amongst other qualities) low distortion, class A biasing (up to 2/3 output), high current and damping factor will help keep the D18's in check. One of my clients who was using K2 amplifiers and bi-amping them into a pair of D25's upgraded to the SIA2-150 MK2. Needless to say the difference the SIA2-150 MK2 has made to te D25's is staggering.

Btw, prices of ATC and Naim products will be going up as of 1st April 2011 so please bear this in mind.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Btw, prices of ATC and Naim products will be going up as of 1st April 2011 so please bear this in mind.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks for the reply Nick,really interested in the ATC,do you know by how much the price will rise in April?

basshound said:
MUSICRAFT said:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks for the reply Nick,really interested in the ATC,do you know by how much the price will rise in April?

Hi basshound

Your welcome.

The SIA2-150 MK2 really is superb amplifier and one which can punch above its weight. As i write this i've got an SIA2-150 MK2 playing in the background sitting in between Chord Electronics QBD76 and Dynaudio's DM 2/6 speakers and this system sounds sublime
smiley-smile.gif
I truly feel the SIA2-150 MK2 will simply energise your D18's :bigsmile:

Btw, the SIA2-150 MK2 currently retails at £2625 and as of 1st April ATC will have a price increase of 6% on their products.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
basshound said:
MUSICRAFT said:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi basshound

Your welcome.

The SIA2-150 MK2 really is superb amplifier and one which can punch above its weight. As i write this i've got an SIA2-150 MK2 playing in the background sitting in between Chord Electronics QBD76 and Dynaudio's DM 2/6 speakers and this system sounds sublime
smiley-smile.gif
I truly feel the SIA2-150 MK2 will simply energise your D18's :bigsmile:

Btw, the SIA2-150 MK2 currently retails at £2625 and as of 1st April ATC will have a price increase of 6% on their products.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

With this amplifier you are tempting me ambassador
smiley-laughing.gif
,expect an e-mail....... and sorry for calling you Nick
smiley-embarassed.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
A pre/power can give you better performance than an integrated amplifier. If you want to look at integrated amps you can look at the Naim SuperNait or the ATC SIA2-150. As far as pre/powers go, there's the Naim 122xs/NAP200, Audiolab 8200Q/2x 8200MB, ATC CA2/P1, Cyrus PreXpdQX/X Power, Rega Cursa 3/2x Exon 3, Or even one of the above pre-amplifiers coupled with the Class D digital Trichord D300 monoblocks.

What speakers are you using? Or what are you intending to use?

T

the record spot

Perhaps you've already discounted them, but for your budget, I'd be shortlisting active speakers (if you'll pardon the left-field suggestion).

Whether you look at AVI, Genelec, Acoustic Energy or whoever, you might find that they fit seamlessly well with the rest of your system. If you're sold on maintaining a separates system, with an additional Roksan amp, then that's the end of the debate.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
basshound said:

I would seek out an ex demo Moon I5 RS.

TRENDING THREADS