Amp with built-in DAC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Try to get a listen to a Hegel H80, great amp with great DAC. Otherwise, you can get a good amp and a good dac for that kind of money.

jipsom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
OP: what speakers do you have? Music type and room size?

Sorry for delay. Looooong weekend.

Current system comprises Roksan Kandy 3, MA GX50s (just like the guy recommending the CXA80. Interesting...) and an REL Quake to thicken up the bottom end. My room is an annoyingly echoey 20 feet square with high ceilings. Fairly well damped.

I should mention that I have a lot of things to plug in and that's part of my reason for wanting a digital savvy amp. The NAD 390DD has also been brought to my attention.

jipsom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure the Quad or Cambridge are going to be an upgrade to my Roksan. Perhaps the CXN is an option...but I'm really after a better amp than my Roksan with a DAC.

jipsom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
The Cambridge CXN with a power amp...could answer all my problems. It gives me the connections I desire. And I can use it with my Roksan until I've saved up enough to buy a sweet power amp :)

This feels like a moment of lucidity for me.

rainsoothe

jipsom said:
I'm not sure the Quad or Cambridge are going to be an upgrade to my Roksan. Perhaps the CXN is an option...but I'm really after a better amp than my Roksan with a DAC.

well you're not gonna upgrade over a K3 with 1000 pound budget :p

A CXN will also serve as a streamer, which will elliminate the need for a laptop. If you still wanna be using your laptop as a main source, imo money will be better spent on a Chord Hugo, or Qute HD (or whatever the cheaper version is called, if it has USB). Otherwise, maybe get a nice cheap dac like Micromega MyDac and save moneys for a Hegel H160 - which does DAC and streaming too - this is what I would do.

jipsom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
jipsom said:

well you're not gonna upgrade over a K3 with 1000 pound budget :p

A CXN will also serve as a streamer, which will elliminate the need for a laptop. If you still wanna be using your laptop as a main source, imo money will be better spent on a Chord Hugo, or Qute HD (or whatever the cheaper version is called, if it has USB). Otherwise, maybe get a nice cheap dac like Micromega MyDac and save moneys for a Hegel H160 - which does DAC and streaming too - this is what I would do.

Hmm. I see. Yeah, you're probably right. This is the problem with buying good amps second-hand: you have to spend so much to get an improvement. I already have a V-Dac connected to my laptop and my PS4. Plus my girlfriend has a streamer. I just want to tidy up the boxes & wires AND improve the sound. Looks like I need to save for the HEGEL. Good advice. I thank you :)

johngw

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
How about a DAC with volume control + remote and separate power amp? E.g. Matrix mini-i pro into a Quad 909 power amp. You should be able to pick up the Quad second hand and it's a great little amp.

jipsom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
johngw said:
How about a DAC with volume control + remote and separate power amp? E.g. Matrix mini-i pro into a Quad 909 power amp. You should be able to pick up the Quad second hand and it's a great little amp.

John. Thanks for that suggestion. Been looking into it and I think that could be the winner. I'm in LA next month so the DAC is on the shopping lsit ($ vs £ wins again).

I have the opportunity to purchase two Quad monoblocks at a good price (which I assume will wire into the MTRIX Mini-i just the same). Will feedback my experience :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts