Amp with built-in DAC

jipsom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I can't seem to find any collated information online. I know Naim do a couple of options but they're pricey. I'm streaming from my Mac so don't need much else by way of inputs.

Any suggestions? Budget around £1000 (unless there's a cheaper option).

jipsom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
Cambridge Audio, Cyrus, Exposure, BelCanto, Primare (Optional DAC module) and others ...

Would you recommend any of those? Listening to all of them will be unrealistic. I'd like to trim it down. Peachtree looking like a very good option :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
jipsom said:
drummerman said:
Cambridge Audio, Cyrus, Exposure, BelCanto, Primare (Optional DAC module) and others ...

Would you recommend any of those? Listening to all of them will be unrealistic. I'd like to trim it down. Peachtree looking like a very good option :)

Never heard one but they look cool :)

jipsom said:
drummerman said:

Probably need to buy second hand for some on drummermans list so you are unlikely to get to hear them unless you happen to live near a very good dealer.

However there is a very good Primare i22 going for £1100 on Choice Hi-Fi website.

Although rare the Bronoco Diva can be found for half the price of a Peachtree.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had hands on a Peachtree in a friend's setup. It is a very 'complete' amplifier that does everthing pretty well.

Probably not the most transparent or neutral but it has a quality about it that I like. Hard to describe, I hesitate to use the term warm because mostly this is applied to fat, bloated sounding compnents that I abhor, but like the better Sonus Faber speakers there is a 'naturalness' to it that is not remotely related to overblown bass.

One of my top 3 sub £1000 amplifiers.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
+1 for the Peachtrees. The Nova65SE is within budget.

I like the HK990 too, but it's more expensive if you buy new. There are quite some of these amps going second hand nowadays though.

PS: no Pathos Logos then?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I think the HK and XTZ are very similar units in many respects, obviously the Leemas are in a higher price bracket.

The XTZs have a lot of fans, are very versatile and great value, as are their speakers. I recall the UK distributer ceased trading, I'm not sure if anyone took that role up but they can be ordered online direct from Sweeden.

jipsom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
DocG said:

I like the HK990 too, but it's more expensive if you buy new. There are quite some of these amps going second hand nowadays though.

Was thinking more Pathos CAlassic Remix...then my budget got cut :(

Might be able to get my hands on a Peachtree 220 for less than £1k so...that could be an option

Thanks for the other suggestions as well. Very helpful (this forum always is). :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
jipsom said:
DocG said:

Might be able to get my hands on a Peachtree 220 for less than £1k so...that could be an option

Thanks for the other suggestions as well. Very helpful (this forum always is). :)

No it isn't. You're just lucky!*wink*

jipsom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
DocG said:
jipsom said:
DocG said:

No it isn't. You're just lucky!*wink*

Haha. Well. so far ;o)

DCC

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I use a mini, and was in search of the same – a quality int. amp w/ b-i DAC. I'm very happy with I what I purchased, so much so I'm tempted to put "very" in all caps.

To make a short comment long, here goes. I live near Cape Town, so I've limited brand options and varying added import costs to factor depending on source country. I wanted something new because honestly what's better than an initial unboxing…well that and quality rigs with on board DAC aren't flooding the used bins here. I also wanted a trad look and feel. Maybe I'm missing out by being biased but I've yet to get keen on D class units, that ruled out the new mod NADs (that and their IMHO horrid looks) & the Peachtree(s). I did listen to both and liked what I heard.

I also needed/wanted min 70wtts per at 8....that kept the Marantz 6005 off the list. I really like the 6005, love it actually, and was about to pull the trigger but got delayed for some reason. In the meantime of course I found a great deal on better speakers. Don’t judge me, who doesn't flirt with other sounding speakers when out of the house.

I narrowed it down (tnx to this forum) to two rigs, which were readily available and fit the budget: the Cambridge Audio CXA80, retailed locally for appr. 750 pnds & the Onkyo A9070, retailed locally for apprx 909 pnds. I went with the CA for price, aesthetics, and honesty...Onkyo lists their power in 4 ohms. Of course I demo'd them both extensively on You Tube. Maybe it's me but I swear I couldn't hear any difference *lol*.

So far, so VERY good. The CXA is running in nicely with the new GX50s - I got power, punch, dynamics, detail...and tnx to the MA ribbon, some of the sweetest highs I've heard at this market level - they sing! Only one complaint so far with the amp...as there is no lit volume inicator and only a very very slight indicator on the v knob, it's dang near impossible to see the volume level once you step away from the unit.

The Cambridge Audio CXA80 is my suggestion, and it's well below a grand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts