amp upgrade advice

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I now have some funds to upgrade my system, i think possibly my other components deserve a bigger amp, especially the speakers, I have had a few nice budget amps in the past , the rotel being the best and most involving of them all, but feel worried when i push the volume a bit of it running out of steam although it still sounds in control, would i notice a big improvment in sound with something like the creek 50a which is about double the price of the rotel or would it be a subtle change , tone controls are a must, the marantz pm8001 seems to be a good alternative, isnt kef amd marantz a good match?

rainsoothe

Marantz pm 8005 seems like it's what you need, and should go well with your Q500 Kef speakers, since it's a warmish amp, and the Kef Q series are a bit edgy (I think). Also, tone controls, phono stage, and great sound.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Marantz pm 8005 seems like it's what you need, and should go well with your Q500 Kef speakers, since it's a warmish amp, and the Kef Q series are a bit edgy (I think). Also, tone controls, phono stage, and great sound.

thanks , might give the marantz a listen, if I can find a dealer with it in stock, i like the balance of the kefs, easy placement due to the dual concentic driver and lack off bass ports, they can bring the character out in the mid range, but feel the rotel isnt giving them th best,

the creek looks nice but worried about possible thin sound, which I hate, some say the bass is tight but lacks warmth

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
And then once you've upgraded the amp to something like the PM8005 the amp will be capable, and waiting for, an upgrade of speakers. Hop on the merry-go-round. Enjoy the ride.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts