Amp to replace Marantz M-CR603

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ive got the above Melody Media with some B&W 684's but feel that the speakers deserve better so I'm looking for a decent integrated amp to go with a Marantz NA7004 as I still need the airplay usability as all my music is on my iMac and iTunes...

My budget will be around £350-£400 and I'm more than happy with 2nd hand and ideally need an amp that's black!

My requirements are that it'll power the 684's well but also that it will provide deep bass that's not muddled (I think that's a good description) for music I listen to like Chichago House, modern house music like Hed Kandi and metal like Disturbed, Iron Maiden and sometimes even stuff like Wolfmother, Pink Floyd to Sting etc...

Ive looked at the decent entry level amps like the NAD C326BEE and Marantz PM6004. How would these stack up to the likes of the Musical Fidelity XA-2, Cyrus 8VS2's on eBay? Also, would an Arcam Alpha 10 work well?

My uncle has one with a power amp and some B&W 703's and that system sounds absolutely fantastic!

For speaker cable I have Chord Carnival Silverscreen and also some Oddyssey 2 somewhere and I've got a couple of CrimsonPlus interconnects from my first system; would these suffice?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that

Marantz way out of budget range and the Yamaha seems to get poor reviews and it's too big...

Heard the AS500 and AS2000 and thought both were a bit harsh in the treble and not a great sound full stop

Anyone else any thoughts re the amps I've mentioned and other suggestions?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Although I've not heard the 6004 I do have the 6003 and to my ears it's a lovely musical amp with just the right amount of warmth but still nicely detailed.

A

Anonymous

Bit of an update on this...

Ive currently got a Musical Fidelity XA-2 which sounds very good but I'm not sure on it due to it being a more smoother sound than I'm used to.

Im waiting for a Cyrus 8vs2 to land which should be sometime today and a NAD C352 which should be with me on Friday so the run down will be between these 3 I feel from what I've read anna reviews I've seen; these are all better than the current budget amps like the Yamahas, Marantz and Rotels etc...

Speakers are potentially going to be B&W 685's or Monitor Audio RX1's or 2's if I can find them at a decent price at the lower end of the budget and KEF R100's or Monitor Audio GX50's (ex demo) at the top end of the budget

Does anyone have any gut instincts as to which amp and speaker set would work best?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts