Amp/Speaker/Blu-ray Advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I currently have an LG 50PS3000 Plasma. Whilst it is a fantastic set for the money, I've been feeling a bit let down by the details of 1080P sources, and also by the black levels. Obviously, one can only expect so much from such a budget set, but I'm curious as to what would be seen as a step up without going to Samsung LED/Kuro level. The three options I was looking at were the Panny 50S10 and 50G10, and the Samsung PS50B650. Obviously, there's no point upgrading if I'm not going to notice an improvement in blacks/detail levels, so I'm seeking advice as to whether or not these sets are going to do that, and whether you would recommend another set?

Question 2 - I'm looking for a suitable Amp/Blu-ray/Speaker setup to accompany it. My budget isn't massive, around £1500 for the three components, so I was looking at Denon AVR 1910, Sony BDP-S760 and the Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema Pack. Would these work well together or would you reccomend something else? I was originally going to go for the STR-DH800, but then the budget expanded so I upped the anti to the Denon. I'm not sure whether the improvement would be noticeable with such budget speakers though?

Anyway, I'm sorry if the questions above seem stupid, and thank you very much for your time and help!

Cheers,

Matt

A

Anonymous

Hi Matt,

I to purchased the same Lgtv and it came with a lg370 bray thinking it was a bargain, Well more so to keep the wife happy she wouldnt let me spend the extra on a kuro,

But when set up as you say it is ok but it did not match our old 1080i pioneer that is now in daughters playroom,

I was lucky to pick up a pioneer 5090h from ssav and wow there was a huge difference, Even so my wife was amazed and wished we went for pio first,

As for the br i was happy with this but felt again something was missing, I upgraded friday to a pioneer bdplx52, Again nice improvement and again my wife noticed the difference( she normally ignores me when i speak in tv mode)

I started out last year with yamaha 765 amp and kef 2005 speakers from ssav and paid £900, this for me was a starter system but am very happy with it all and in no hurry to upgrade

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

You lucky man! Even if I wanted a 5090 (which I do!), stock has run out everywhere now. I might *** down to my local store (they had one left last week), and see what price they are doing...

Anyways, chances of that happening are quite low, so any further advice is appreciated.

A

Anonymous

It was very lucky, I had the last out of the shop, Week later there was a line up through the screen, so finding a replacement was fun. Defo good tv tho, Hope you source something

A

Anonymous

Matt, TV wise to get a decent upgrade, you would probably have to go with one of the new LED backlit models or top end panasonic plasma, either the new philips or the Samsungs. However, these (I had a Samsung 46B8000) do have better blacks, but the one I had also used an auto dimming feature where it reduces the backlight to get deep blacks and the increase back up when something bright shows up, this was sometimes noticeable any annoying.

You may want to wait 6 months with your TV, as panasonic have a complete new range out with a new gas and promised improved black / pictures levels (They have had a few ex pioneer engineers there for 12 months now) and you may even be able to get a 3D capable machine within budget.

In terms of your AV setup, I dont think you could go wrong, and the Q acoustics speakers certainly will sound better with either the 1910 or 2310 over the Sony 800, but again sony are due to launch the 770 blu ray player which is 3D and onkyo/Yamaha will have version 1.4 HDMI receivers out soon.

So if you are interested in 3D, it might be worth a wait, although of course if your not, prices for non 3D equipment will be much more easy on your wallet.

A

Anonymous

Thanks markjaspi. 3D doesn't bother me that much - I can't see the first generations of 3DTV proving to be a massive success if I'm honest (I stand to be corrected), but It's probably worth me waiting until the new range of Panasonics come out this year. Does anybody think they will be able to match that of the Pioneers?

Also, I'm guessing nobody knows of anywhere that I can get an LX5090 or a 500A?

A

Anonymous

A lot of the Richersounds shops are selling ex-display 5090's at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Aahh - Will check that out as soon as possible. Thanks! :). Any idea of the sort of price they are going for?

A

Anonymous

I am not sure if house rules allow me to say but it's a penny less than two two's at the front of the number and two zero's at the end, if that makes sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts