AMP for SF Cremona M

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi tehre,

I am looking for an AMP at +- USD 5000 to match wiht a SF Cremona M. This are the brands I can get here and have products on that price range.

ACCUPHASE

NAIM

CHORD

AYON

PRIMARE

CARY

AVM

Audio Research

McINTOSH

wich brand do you think should make a good match wiht SF?

thank you in advance.

kr

Eduardo

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi there, how you doing?

Are you having a full revamp, or is this another system you're putting together?

I've not personally heard any of the other brands listed, but there are some undoubted heavyweights amongst them... I think you've heard Accuphase yourself, so you know what you will be getting and really don't think you could go wrong with that choice.

However, I've heard good things about Ayon and MacKintosh and Audio Research speak for themselves.

Matt49 has recently paired up the SF's with a Devialet with pretty good results, so if you could lay your hands on one of them, might be worth a demo at least.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What a nice list of amps.....just make sure that any valve amps that you choose, can handle the impedance drop.

The stand out amps for me would be:

Accuphase

Ayon

Cary

Audio Research

Cary (if it can handle them)

McIntosh

Only you can put them in an order of preference, though Accuphase may be hard to beat.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi Macspur and Eno

It is a long story but I needed urgently cash and I had to sell some of my components. I wished it will be the DAC but unfortunately I got first someone interested in the ATC. I receive of part of the deal a Ayon Orion (the first and more basic of the brand) and I bought for this period a SF Concerto Domus very cheap. At the beginning the experience was quite shocking as you might imagine. SF and AYON are quite on the opposite side as the active ATC. But after a couple of days I start to like the sound in some way specially for jazz, voices and more relax music. for Rock was still complicated but in proper volume was almost OK, but somehow tube sound start to catch me.

In the meanwhile my Olive 06 started to have some problems with the screen so I took it to the dealer to load the latest software version and I took the option to listen at some speakers with and Ayon orion. First thing I saw were the new SF venere 3,0 in walnut. Really beautiful speakers!!! big, very well made so we try them. To be honest they did not reach the level. very nice speakers but they do not sound. Later We try some Audiophisc Sorpio 25 and this are still not my coup of tea and did not change my previous opinion. Than we connected the Magico S1. This are fantastic speakers but not for the Orion so we try the Cremonas M wiht the Ayon and I was really surprise about the sound this AMP got from the speakers. It was really nice, extremely open, relax, the mid and upper range was probably the most beautiful I have heard and with the 91db of the Cremonas there was enough bass and control also. later we connected and SS to the Cremonas and it sounded quite nerveous, agresive to me after spending a couple of weeks hearing SF and tube amp. jajaja it is funny as fast the human been get used!! my intention was not to buy anything at the moment but the dealer offer me a deal that I could not resist so I took the cremonas M. they really sound great wiht the orion but I feel they can give more.

I was thinking in the Ayon Mercury but I definitely will give a try to the Accupase E-260. will let you know how it end!!

thank you again for your help

Eduardo

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm delighted you are hearing the magic of Valves, especially when paired with the likes of SF.....which imo is about "feeling" the music rather than analyzing it.

I only like SS amps that get as close as possible to the emotive experience that you get from a good Valve amp eg. MF AMS35i, Accuphase, Sugden and Luxman, to name four.

Let us know where you end up on this.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes Cno, I am really enyoing the vale sound. the sound is so intim, liquid , you feel you are IN the music, you can almost touch it. of coure tehre is compromise in energy, bass control and speed but I think I can live wihtout this now
smiley-wink.gif

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
ebentjerodt said:
so we try the Cremonas M wiht the Ayon and I was really surprise about the sound this AMP got from the speakers. It was really nice, extremely open, relax, the mid and upper range was probably the most beautiful I have heard and with the 91db of the Cremonas there was enough bass and control also.

I've been living with the Cremona Auditor Ms for the last few months, and the way you describe the SF sound is exactly as I've experienced it. The mids and highs are very pure and capable of discriminating between different acoustic instruments in a way I've not heard with other speakers. The Cremonas will tell you clearly the difference between a flute and a piccolo, a violin and a viola, tomtoms and bongos, and not just by their frequency range, but by their timbre.

If you really like valves and you can find a valve amp that drives the Cremonas well, then that sounds like a route to happiness. It probably won't give you much joy with fast rock music though.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

:cheers:

Matt

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi Matt,

totaly agrre wiht you. Due the fact I manely heard Canterburian rock and Jazz the SF will be the right ones. I har tiem to time Porcupin tree and Gavin Harrinson and I will have to accept that for this misic the set up will not be the best but I think so far evry one knows that they are alway compromises...

I jsut got offered a Accuphase E-450 for about USD 5000 (fast half of the price) sounds like a nice option
smiley-innocent.gif

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
ebentjerodt said:
Hi Matt,

totaly agrre wiht you. Due the fact I manely heard Canterburian rock and Jazz the SF will be the right ones. I har tiem to time Porcupin tree and Gavin Harrinson and I will have to accept that for this misic the set up will not be the best but I think so far evry one knows that they are alway compromises...

I jsut got offered a Accuphase E-450 for about USD 5000 (fast half of the price) sounds like a nice option
smiley-innocent.gif

Hi Eduardo,

I'm sure the E-450 is superb, and it will drive the Cremonas really well. Could be a match made in heaven. I don't know about the pricing though. How does this compare with the price of a new E-460 (the model that replaced the E-450)?

:cheers:

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts