Kasperv

Aug 8, 2022
Visit site
Hi all, I just received my Rega Planar 3 and i'm extremely happy with it. But as the Planar has a fixed RCA cable attached, I somehow need to find a solution to connect it to my Yamaha RX-A880 receiver (which drives my Bowers & Wilkins 683 s2's). Now I started my search here on What Hi-Fi? and came out on the Rega Fono MM MK5, which would make sense to buy as it's also from Rega and would work flawless. But I looked a bit further and came on the Pro-Ject Phono-Box E BT 5. A big advance on this one is the BT output, so I can place my Planar wherever I want without the need of a physical cable running trough the room. But as I am proud of the devices I have (and of course saved my money for), I don't want to add cheap devices which doesn't come good to the potential of my system.

Does anybody have experience with the Pro-Ject Phono-Box E or have any advice on this situation?

Thanks in advance!

Kasperv

Aug 8, 2022
Visit site
Sorry, indeed quite important to note but the (fixed) RCA of the Planar is to short to connect to the receiver without extending it. But it seems that extending the RCA will negatively affect the sound quality.

Sorry, indeed quite important to note but the (fixed) RCA of the Planar is to short to connect to the receiver without extending it. But it seems that extending the RCA will negatively affect the sound quality.
Lengthening the phono cable a bit shouldn't effect sound quality.
using Bluetooth will.....
However, runs over 2 metres are best avoided.
Can you not wall mount your turntable near the receiver?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Kasperv

Aug 8, 2022
Visit site
Indeed i was talking about a phono preamp, but only if this is the best way to get turntable connected to my receiver.

The turntabel sits on top of a wall mounted closet in which the receiver is placed. I don't want to drill a hole in the top of my closet, so the cable needs to go around the closed to a hole in the bottom. I think it will fit with an extra meter, 1.5 meter max. When extending the cable, won't I get problems with the grounding wire and sure it won't effect the sound quality?

Indeed i was talking about a phono preamp, but only if this is the best way to get turntable connected to my receiver.

The turntabel sits on top of a wall mounted closet in which the receiver is placed. I don't want to drill a hole in the top of my closet, so the cable needs to go around the closed to a hole in the bottom. I think it will fit with an extra meter, 1.5 meter max. When extending the cable, won't I get problems with the grounding wire and sure it won't effect the sound quality?
As far as I know the Rega does not have a separate grounding wire so getting a phono extention cable should not alter anything

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS