Amp + DAC for AKG K612Pro

AntonioFI

Sep 11, 2021
Visit site
Hi to all,
I"m looking for an headset amplifier + DAC to be used with my AKG K612Pro (120Ohm).

As an input an USB could be enough, considering the Bluetooth as an option, since I'll use my smartphone as source.

Device footprint shall be small since I have little space.

Budget is around 350€, even if I could add 100€ for a significant improvement.

Up to now I'm considering the Schiit combo Magni3 + Modi, the Topping Ex5 and I'm curious about the Aune T1SE (tube sound).

What's your opinion?
Any other advice or suggestion?

thanks a lot

Gray

I'm considering the Schiit combo Magni3 + Modi, the Topping Ex5 and I'm curious about the Aune T1SE (tube sound).
Based solely on my few months of owning their A50S, I would have no hesitation in recommending the EX5 - especially if you could make use of its balanced output.....you probably think you couldn't, but this shows how easily you could (712 shown, same mod for your 612 Pro):
View: https://youtu.be/Dc3q7mCWNnE?t=471

Hardest part would be removing 3-pole / fitting 4-pole mini XLR socket.

If you fancy it, I'll tell you how to easily make a balanced lead and still be able to use the ones supplied with your 612 (for use in 3.5 / 6.35mm unbalanced sockets).
Certainly wouldn't hurt to have the option to use balanced from whichever amp you choose.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Budget is around 350€, even if I could add 100€ for a significant improvement.

Up to now I'm considering the Schiit combo Magni3 + Modi, the Topping Ex5 and I'm curious about the Aune T1SE (tube sound).

If you want all the connectivity options on balanced, unbalanced, (speaker and headphones outputs), all major input options with DSD and MQA, go Topping EX5 all day long. It's cheaper than the Chord, eclipses it in performance and offers a plethora of playback options. For flexibility and performance, it's currently the standard device to beat at this price point.

If you are just going to connect this to the Windows Laptop, PC, etc. and don't need the extras (DSD & MQA), and only have unbalanced headphones then the Schiit Magni 3 and Heresey are cheaper again.

As for the Aune T1SE, it has a weak in built DAC which would put me off it personally. Zeos review of it is fairly objective in his own way.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49iMY26qHGg

Last edited:
Reactions: AntonioFI

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
On a seperates note, another option although i don't think you could rule out is going down the Geshelli labs stack.
I've been eying up the J2 DAC now for a while ($250 without USB and $300 with). That'll get you everything other than your MQA (which in my eyes is no loss). But you'd then need an AMP to go with.

Unfortunately at this time they don't do a combined. Instead they do 2 different options:

- Archel 2.5 pro (for single ended) $180
- Erish (Balanced)- $TBA

I am eagerly awaiting the Erish 2 to be released....then i might just order the lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntonioFI

AntonioFI

Sep 11, 2021
Visit site
On a seperates note, another option although i don't think you could rule out is going down the Geshelli labs stack.
I've been eying up the J2 DAC now for a while ($250 without USB and $300 with). That'll get you everything other than your MQA (which in my eyes is no loss). But you'd then need an AMP to go with.

Unfortunately at this time they don't do a combined. Instead they do 2 different options:

- Archel 2.5 pro (for single ended) $180
- Erish (Balanced)- $TBA

I am eagerly awaiting the Erish 2 to be released....then i might just order the lot.
thanks a lot!
Geshelli J2 looks very promising, but unlikely the combo Dac+Amp is out of budget for me.

I'm also considering the Loxjie D30, as all-in-one solution, that seems a cheap and valuable solution. I'm only concerned about its output power 110mW@32Ohm. Will it be enough for my AKG K612Pro (120Ohm impedence)?

Reactions: ThisIsJimmy

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site

As an entry product it's not bad.

But if you can stretch to the Topping, I think you'll enjoy it more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts