Amp and CD for listening to Jazz

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what I could get. I love listening to Jazz, Funk, R&B and Blues. Listening room is 4 * 7m. Carpet on floor with usual furniture.

Just wondering what options are out there, got about £750 -800 to spend.

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I was thinking of the Creek combo as well, the Audiolab combo on Superfi looks good as well.

Personally, for Jazz i'd look at Arcam A75 or A80 amd and the Arcam CD73, ideal for Jazz. Smooth, warm but with plenty of gusto for Blues and the more bassy tracks.

The Cyrus CD6 and Cyrus 6v2 amp would be a good combo as well. Very smooth and detailed but can make some speakers sound harsh.

What speakers are you looking to partner the system with?

John Duncan

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]I was thinking of the Creek combo as well, the Audiolab combo on Superfi looks good as well.

Personally, for Jazz i'd look at Arcam A75 or A80 amd and the Arcam CD73, ideal for Jazz. Smooth, warm but with plenty of gusto for Blues and the more bassy tracks.

The Cyrus CD6 and Cyrus 6v2 amp would be a good combo as well. Very smooth and detailed but can make some speakers sound harsh.

What speakers are you looking to partner the system with?[/quote]
Yup, all of those, though personally have not liked the most recent Arcam stuff, and I think the Creek is probably best value with that deal, and looks coolest
emotion-1.gif

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"] I think the Creek is probably best value with that deal, and looks coolest
emotion-1.gif
[/quote]
would agree with John Duncan

A

Anonymous

Ok, Thanks guys.

I have just spent my lunch hour auditioning the Marantz cd6002, Rotel RA-05 and the B&W685. I was a tad dissapointed. It was not as room filling as I had hoped. Somehow we had to crank up the volume to get the grabbing feeling. The speakers were changed to the EPOS m12, and we got better response. It was lot warmer, and extremely clear. Changed the amp to Marantz pm6001, was ok, but not as bright as the Rotel. So right now rather confused. Would it be better investing in floorstanders if so which ones.

Thanks

John Duncan

[quote user="jazzmaster"]
Ok, Thanks guys.

I have just spent my lunch hour auditioning the Marantz cd6002, Rotel RA-05 and the B&W685. I was a tad dissapointed. It was not as room filling as I had hoped. Somehow we had to crank up the volume to get the grabbing feeling. The speakers were changed to the EPOS m12, and we got better response. It was lot warmer, and extremely clear. Changed the amp to Marantz pm6001, was ok, but not as bright as the Rotel. So right now rather confused. Would it be better investing in floorstanders if so which ones.

Thanks
[/quote]OK, step back - what speakers do you have already?

A

Anonymous

I have the Celestion F20, Yamaha CDX486, and AX386. Bought these about 8yrs ago so looking to upgrade

John Duncan

I have the Celestion F20, Yamaha CDX486, and AX386. Bought these about 8yrs ago so looking to upgrade
[/quote]Then can I suggest an alternative approach? Most people disagree with me here, but I might keep the CD player and invest in better amp and speakers instead. People will disagree, but I personally have found it more rewarding.

A

Anonymous

Thanks I will give that a try. Take my CD in and have it work with other kit, but what would you suggest I pair them up with. I was quite happy with the quality of the EPOS, what AMP should I be looking at?, and by the way I got all that kit from Richer sound years ago

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With regards to the B&W 685's, you'll find that you need to find the right amp for the speakers. Anything Japanese wont power them well

Arcam and NAD amps would be your best bet for the new range of B&W speakers

It would be worth looking at the Monitor Audio RS range as well i think, more so the RS6 floorstanders. These are fantastic speakers and will suit your taste in music very well.

I think partnering these with either NAD or Arcam amps/CD players will give you the results youre looking for.

A

Anonymous

Thanks d_a_n1979, I did request the MA's but the dealer didnt have them, and did not have anything complimentary to say about them. I guess that is his opinion.

The Rotel sounded better with the EPOS though than the B&W, but I guess that might be me. I think for the size of my room 28sq FT, floorstanders may be better suited.

John Duncan

Thanks d_a_n1979, I did request the MA's but the dealer didnt have them, and did not have anything complimentary to say about them. I guess that is his opinion.

The Rotel sounded better with the EPOS though than the B&W, but I guess that might be me. I think for the size of my room 28sq FT, floorstanders may be better suited.

[/quote]

With such a big room, it will help to have an amp with plenty of reserve, which just in theory (since I don't really know them) would make me consider NAD, maybe go up a notch on the Rotel to the -06. The Evo *might* start to run out of puff, and the Classic (which I have) is getting too dear.

I get where you're going with floorstanders, but I really think a pair of top notch standmounters could serve you better - push some floorstanders (which you'll have to for volume in a big room) and all that cabinet can start to flap. You should try to hear AVI Neutron IV, PMC DB1s, maybe even Proac Tablette Reference 8 (not the fabulous 'Signature', getting too pricey) all of which I think you'd like for your style of music, and can fill a room better than you'd imagine.

And when you think about it, a 500 quid pair of standmounts *ought* to be better than 500 quid floorstanders, since you're paying a quarter as much for the shipping costs..........
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

For Jazz I would investigate an all Rega set up. My friend has the Apollo CDP, Mira 3 amp and R5 speakers which work very well indeed, particularly for jazz. It's out of the price bracket but is food for thought, i.e. second hand, upgrade path, etc.

John Duncan

[quote user="igglebert"]For Jazz I would investigate an all Rega set up. My friend has the Apollo CDP, Mira 3 amp and R5 speakers which work very well indeed, particularly for jazz. It's out of the price bracket but is food for thought, i.e. second hand, upgrade path, etc.[/quote]

I found that they weren't that realistic with 'natural' instruments - which jazz will tend to be - as opposed to more processed rock stuff, but it's an interesting idea, worth a pop.

A

Anonymous

They have a very distinct sound that is a little Marmite I guess. I rather liked it. Possibly a little thin, even dry, but highly focused with a great separation between instruments.

A

Anonymous

I'm not a professional, but I believe the best equipment for what you are looking for would be Arcam components - perhaps the Arcam A70 with the CD73 or CD192. I wouldn't think the EPOS speakers are very good at jazz, Bowers and Wilkins would be your best bet.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]For Jazz I would investigate an all Rega set up. My friend has the Apollo CDP, Mira 3 amp and R5 speakers which work very well indeed, particularly for jazz. It's out of the price bracket but is food for thought, i.e. second hand, upgrade path, etc.[/quote]

Absolutely. Find a REGA dealer and listen to a brio/apollo/R3's. I know I mention this system quite often but for the money, you should get it for around 1k, it is stunning. An all rounder it has poise, good bass and is great fun to listen to. Its also well build, keeps its value well come upgrading, and looks great on a rack. The speakers are superb and whilst I dont think the apollo is that good it just works well within the rest of the system. Ultimately, it lacks the power, presence and total refinement of much more expensive stuff but for the price its very very nice.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]With regards to the B&W 685's, you'll find that you need to find the right amp for the speakers. Anything Japanese wont power them well [/quote]

One of my friends has a Denon/B&W combo in a large room. A very good match. I do not think there is lack of power. To say that anything Japanese won't power them well, is a lack of knowledge of Japanese gear.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've just never enjoyed the sound that Japanese amps give with B&W speakers. I've tried Marantz, Denon, JVC, Yamaha etc with B&W speakers and they made them sound gutless.

Just personal opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts