Amazon pricing Issue

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I ordered a Vinyl record on Amazon that was clearly incorrectly priced as the vinyl was cheaper than the cd. When i received the order i received the cd instead of vinyl record. I contacted them and they said they would send my correct order and i was to send the cd back.
Four days later i received a 2nd cd so contacted them again.
Amazon sent me a email saying i can keep the 2nd cd and they would refund my money. This seems pretty fair but feel they are getting away from clearly making a pricing mistake and not honouring my original order.
They have not mentioned anything about making mistake in their pricing which has annoyed me.
Anybody else come across this before?

Not with Amazon, I’ve not.

The principle is that a price in, say, a shop is an ‘invitation to treat’, not a guaranteed price. If once you step inside they say, oops, we meant £100 not £10, then you can’t insist on the wrong price. I’m pretty sure Amazon will have similar terms you accept, so they aren’t obliged to honour mistakes. They might do - and some well publicised cases show the publicity can be worth it - but it’s not a right. Not really surprising for any business, let alone one with countless thousands of products.

However, you might get lucky!

...I found this:-

“Despite our best efforts, a small number of the items in our catalogue may be mispriced. We will verify pricing when processing your order and before we take payment. If we have made a mistake and a product's correct price is higher than the price on the website, we may either contact you before dispatch to request whether you want to buy the product at the correct price or cancel your order. If a product's correct price is lower than our stated price, we will charge the lower amount and send you the product.”

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
What is annoying is if they had sent me the vinyl it would of only cost them an extra 2 pound than its cost them to give me the cd plus refund.
Surely honouring the original order and the goodwill is worth the extra.
They are risking losing future custom by not being up front with me which i find sad.
Oh well looks like a got a free cd so not all bad.

Gray

Not quite the same but:

I ordered my first ever secondhand double CD from a third party supplier on Amazon.

They sent me the wrong double CD. I contacted them and told them exactly what I'd ordered and what they'd sent in error.

They replied, asking me to describe what they'd sent me!, including the IBAN number. Which I did.

I never heard another word from them (despite chasing them up, asking when they intended to supply the correct CDs)

After giving them plenty of time (still nothing), I made the necessary claim to Amazon....Amazon refunded me.

So I've still got their incorrectly sent 2CD and my money back, but not the 2CD I ordered (or any explanation as to why not)

Seems it's just easier for them to issue refunds and not enter into any correspondence. Probably a totally automated process, so cheaper for them - the non-existent customer satisfaction is just collateral damage. Strange.

At least in your case Daz, you've got the music, if not the format, you actually ordered!

D

Deleted member 108165

Oh dear, that's not a very good start Gray. I must admit that I've never experienced this problem with either Amazon or their merchants, guess I must have been lucky with my purchases.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I did have a problem with Amazon with an electric razor, they sent the wrong item, no. was similar, they were very good told me to keep the razor and sent me a full refund. I think they are only obliged to refund your money. They could say item out of stock.

Gray

DougK said:
Oh dear, that's not a very good start Gray. I must admit that I've never experienced this problem with either Amazon or their merchants, guess I must have been lucky with my purchases.

I'm not saying I'm unlucky Doug but if I fell in a barrel full of tits, I'd come out sucking my thumb.

TRENDING THREADS