Am I Weird?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's weird, I'm currently enjoying the expanded and remastered re release of Oasis Defintley Maybe. It's a 3 CD album and I had to have it on CD, I buy all of my albums on CD, I like owning the physical disc and flicking through the artwork and lyrics/notes.

I only download the occasional track now and then, usually chart stuff. But for me my favourite artists and albums must be on CD.

i do enjoy having long playlists on my iPod for convenience too though I must admit.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I stand by what I said. Now I don't care how you listen to your music be it streamed or by cassette or any other means, does not bother me in the slightest. What bothers me is when people go on itunes and only buy separates songs instead of the full album. There are songs that sound not very good when played on their own but will sound great when you play them in the order the artist intended from the album. There are times I only want to listen to certain songs and not a full album but I will alway buy the album so I can listen to the music the way the artist intedened it to be heard. Most people only play music for backround noise and do not take the time to sit down and and listen to the music they are playing and people who do that will never be true music fans in my eyes. If having those 2 veiws mkes me wong and weird than I don't want to be "right". Also give people itunes in the mid 1970's and the single will quickely over take album sales as most casual music fan don't want to haer the full album and only the songs they like from that album. Those people are missing out on hearing the music the way the artist intended it to be heard. So long as you own the album it does not matter if only listen to certain songs off of that album as you can listen to every song as the arist intended when your in the mood for that full album. Only buying certain songs instead of the full album is to miss out in my view.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It's weird not to be weird. If you're a Mr or Mrs or Miss average in every respect then that would be weird. If you're like some bland Hollywood creation character: a person with no unusual hobbies or traits whatsover, then that would be weird.

We're all different. We're ALL individuals. Apart from the one man in the crowd in Life of Brian.

matthewpiano

lindsayt said:
It's weird not to be weird. If you're a Mr or Mrs or Miss average in every respect then that would be weird. If you're like some bland Hollywood creation character: a person with no unusual hobbies or traits whatsover, then that would be weird.

We're all different. We're ALL individuals. Apart from the one man in the crowd in Life of Brian.

Can't tell you how much I love this post lindsayt. One of the best things I've read on this forum. :cheers:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
StevieC said:
Anybody else out there feel some sort of great satisfaction in taking a solid, physical object off the shelf and putting it in (or on) a suitable player? Then sitting back and listening to the album all the way through while reading sleeve notes, booklets, etc.

Doesn't matter whether your chosen medium is CD, vinyl, minidisc or even a cassette I still find this whole experience special. Having an endless list of MP3's on a PC just doesn't hack it.

I do have an MP3 player, I use it on my bus journey to work and back (approx 25 mins each way) and that is all. I would never consider bothering with it any other time. And as a reflection on it's sound quality I've nicknamed it “the gutless wonder”.

Anyway, I've discussed all of this with a few work colleagues and they all think I'm a bit strange. One of them claimed they “hadn't got time for all that messing about” but I know for a fact that same person spends 2 or 3 hours per night on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Draw your own conclusions.

So am I part of an ever decreasing minority, slowly heading in the same direction as the dinosaurs? Thoughts and comments welcomed.

Thanks

Not more that i'm...

lejockey

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I stand by what I said. Now I don't care how you listen to your music be it streamed or by cassette or any other means, does not bother me in the slightest. What bothers me is when people go on itunes and only buy separates songs instead of the full album. There are songs that sound not very good when played on their own but will sound great when you play them in the order the artist intended from the album. There are times I only want to listen to certain songs and not a full album but I will alway buy the album so I can listen to the music the way the artist intedened it to be heard. Most people only play music for backround noise and do not take the time to sit down and and listen to the music they are playing and people who do that will never be true music fans in my eyes. If having those 2 veiws mkes me wong and weird than I don't want to be "right". Also give people itunes in the mid 1970's and the single will quickely over take album sales as most casual music fan don't want to haer the full album and only the songs they like from that album. Those people are missing out on hearing the music the way the artist intended it to be heard. So long as you own the album it does not matter if only listen to certain songs off of that album as you can listen to every song as the arist intended when your in the mood for that full album. Only buying certain songs instead of the full album is to miss out in my view.

I have severe adult ADHD, (an under developed frontal lobe, affecting my impulse control and concentration span) and I can rarely listen to a piece of music all the way through. I tend to turn off after the peak of the track, onto the next one. I also have a grade 8 on violin and have toured Europe as a minimal electronic artist. I am most definitely a music fan, but I would fall into the 'not a true fan' in your category?

Who cares how people consume music? Each to their own :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I enjoy playing my LPs and CDs. After a hard days work there's nothing I like better than sitting down and selecting an album at random irrespective of medium. Sometimes I play the full album, sometimes I don't. None of my friends or work colleagues have any interest in this whatsoever. This does not make me weird, just in a minority.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:

Music, as with any art form, can be enjoyed in many different ways. You can stare at a painting and think long and hard about it, or you can have it on a wall to brighten up a room. Both equally valid ways of appreciating the same painting and both situations where the art form affects the audience and stimulates an emotional response.

i do however agree with you that some albums are intended to be listened to as a piece, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying the individual parts of the whole on there own. Daft Punk albums are a great example where a string of separate tracks, many of which sound fantastic on their own, take on a whole new level when listened to sequentially. Like a good tasting menu where each individual element tastes great, but string them together and you get the real wow factor.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:

yep, your still talking out your arse. Please remove yourself from the high horse, as the air can get a bit thin up there and you might pass out. Either you don't care about how people listen to music, in which case why bother posting that tosh, or you do. Stop contradicting yourself :p

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
My name is Tzutzu and I'm weird too
smiley-cool.gif

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Not weird at all. Even though I listen to streamed music most of the time, I still buy CDs and enjoy the physical medium.

And I also enjoy reading the sleeve notes!

To each his own.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I stand by what I said. . Only buying certain songs instead of the full album is to miss out in my view.
Must admit i disagree. I would love to eliminate some of the dross on albums. Sgt Pepper, imagine not having to buy within you without you and when i'm 64. Being able to buy only part of an album will help artists concentrate of quality and not prodicing loads of fillers.

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
It's kind of funny but you know they say everything goes around in circles? Well, it's true! Back in the early 1900's it was considered to be a major technological achievement to be able to sit down and listen to a recording of the human voice and / or music lasting no longer than 3-4 minutes per side of 78rpm shellac disc. As recorded repertoire expanded gradually and very slowly we reached a point when the "record buying public" had grown to such an extent that demand outstripped supply, it became economic for large orchestras and ensembles to record extensive classical pieces. It was possible to go out and purchase an "album" of single shellac records carefuly bound together with an index at the front. An entire piece of classical music could be recorded over 24 sides of 12" diameter shellac record. Into the 1930's and with the advent of electrical operation and amplification it was even possible to stack records so that they would play through on an auto-changing mechanism. The art of refinement, convenience and luxury. Sigh.

Then in the late '40's Columbia developed the Long Playing Record with microgroove imprinted surface so an entire side would last up to 30 minutes in length. These new records were made from vinyl. By the turn of the '60's, the "album" was destined to become a popular culture art form due to bands like The Beatles and solo artists like Bob Dylan carefully writing songs with thematic content and programming each "side" carefully with a lot of attention on production, the packaging artwork etc. As listeners' demands and expectations grew, in part preceded by the requirement to get a full length classical recording on a single disc without compromise in sound quality, there was the advent of the Compact Disc and digital recording. For 3 decades this format has been very successful, however no one can deny that the outright lie perpetrated on the listening public that CD offered "Perfect Sound Forever" further hid the obvious truth that vinyl records were still superior to digital discs in terms of sound quality. Now decades later, the public has caught up again and in many cases listeners have reverted back to vinyl. The humble LP offers, in addition to bigger and more exciting artwork, a physical medium that utilises analogue playback, thus avoiding (in most instances) the need for digital decoding and potential errors. Analogue is infinite in resolution. The upshot of all this "development" is that the CD has somewhat fallen through the middle of the net. Those listeners who have grown up accustomed to digital technology now demand higher resolution than the Redbook 16 bit / 44.1khz discs can offer. This is available now with Hi-Res downloads and streaming. On the other hand vinyl purists are celebrating the resurgence of interest in vinyl, promoted mainly in my opinion by the deterioration of sound quality of CD over the past 20 years - it's not the CD medium at fault so much as the heavy handed engineers and re-mastering decisions that have been taken progressively over this time - why have CD's become so LOUD and compressed? Where have all the dynamics gone? Even a Cajun style folk album by Linda Ronstadt has been wrecked by loud mastering. What is the point of this nonsense? Whose ears are being punished and why?

Anyway vinyl is back and will co-exist for many years to come alongside the ever increasing resolution of the download / streaming devices. CD is dead in the water as it offers little of the tactile pleasures of the vinyl album with its big black shiny disc and large format artwork, let alone the superior sonics of analogue. CD also is tied to its origins in video formatting set by Philips / Sony in the late 1970's. Redbook resolution was deemed sufficient to carry a video signal; it was not designed for music originally. The resolution is low by todays standards so there is no future for it beyond the current generation of 35-55 year olds who grew up with it. When we (I count myself in that group!) stop buying CD's, production will cease altogether. To a younger generation the CD is about as much use to them as the shellac record.

So where does that leave us today? The vinyl hoarders will continue to champion the classic rock "album" and people like me will, for many years to come, sit religiously listening to an entire album all the way through whether we like all the songs or not. Elsewhere, the digital music listeners will probably be more likely to flick through tracks on their i-pads/phones/beds(!) and select individual songs to play, simply because their listening habits have evolved in a different way over time and they have instant track access at their finger-tips. In other words people will be buying / stealing / downloading / swapping individual songs again and the album will disappear as Thom Yorke predicted it would some years ago.

In other words, things do go around in circles. The only thing different between 1914 and 2014 will be the device and the song. Everything else remains the same.

PS - I like "When I'm 64" and "Within You Without You". Sgt. Pepper is great all the way through! :dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts