Am i now wasting a power amp?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I used to have a pair of MA RS8s which i biamped with a pair of Arcam P35s - i recently swapped my speakers for a pair on non bi-wireable speakers so have set the two power amps up in a mono configuration using one amp for each speaker am i right in thinking that this is only a real benefit if you have biwireable speakers and use both the A+B speaker terminals for each channel? Would i be better just removing one of the power amps and connecting both speakers to the same amp?

A

Anonymous

Mono bloc'ing is a great system configuration and arguably better than biamping. What speakers have you got now?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i thought by changing the amps to mono blocks though it set the opposite channel to the one you are using to the other speaker output of the same channel - s rather than having an amp with left and right you now have an amp with either two left or two rights?

i have a pair of focal profile 908s - that i love in many ways but still think are a bit bass light

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Given that the P35 can't be bridged to create a more powerful mono amplifier, then yes you are wasting a power amplifier now. Or rather one channel of each power amplifier.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
thats what i thought in this case so for now i might as well strip one out and connect both to the same amp until i change my speakers again as want to buy another pair of bi wireable speakers so i can then biamp them in a mono configuration again.

daveh75

erm, isn't the p35 2x100w, and 1x170w when in bridged mode! although it's a long time since i looked at the instructions so could be wrong

edit- ignore me, just had a butcher's at my insructions

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
I would have thought that overall performance would be improved by using only one channel of each amplifier, as you're reducing the burden on the power supply, by only driving a single channel at a time.

This of course, assumes that these amps don't have dual power supplies (i.e. one for each channel..!).

Tony.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:edit- ignore me, just had a butcher's at my insructions

Could've sworn I heard something. Oh well, must have been mistaken...
emotion-18.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts