Am I a fool to pass this by?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
If you don't get them you'll crusify your self for a long time... The same happen to me when I meet my wife, she came in a "open box" as well, and I still got her... Or the other way arround...*unknw*

That is why I am bringing it in for home demo this Friday :)

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
hg said:
Why is it £450 off for an open box? Surely a more reasonable calculation is the difference between the price you would expect to pay for new unopened box speakers and the price asked for the opened box speakers?

The guy was actually asking for 800, I said I cant go beyond 500. Then we kind of thought 600 was the right way to go about it.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Are the R500's the best speakers for you for a net outlay of about £1000? That's impossible for me to say as speakers are such a personal thing. For my tastes there are plenty of other speakers that I would take over the R500's for £1000. For your tastes FahadAhmed, the R500's might be the optimum speakers, or they might not.

Well there are, but beyond my price range as I am not getting any kind of deal on them. Its the KEFs or the magnapen mini maggie (thats a actually a lot cheaper, the deal is an additional 200 after returning my Tannoys).

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
FahadAhmed said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
If you don't get them you'll crusify your self for a long time... The same happen to me when I meet my wife, she came in a "open box" as well, and I still got her... Or the other way arround...*unknw*

Just the thing you absolutely need to do, to know your own mind never mind others opinions. I trust you will find enlightenment and let us know what you decide to do.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
You might want to consider this, if you did not like them, could you sell them on for £1050 or more? Might be worth checking out used prices on ebay etc just in case that's another option.

A good point. They go on eBay for £900 to £1000 so you would make a loss. Howeverif you have them on a home demo then at least you should have a reasonably good idea before you have to finally decide.

If you are having issues with SQ and placement then do not underestimate the supplied rear port bungs. They can be adjusted by taking the centre portion out and I thought they worked wonders when I had the R300's, R500's and R700's. (Not all at the same time obvioulsy!)

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
FahadAhmed said:
hg said:
Why is it £450 off for an open box? Surely a more reasonable calculation is the difference between the price you would expect to pay for new unopened box speakers and the price asked for the opened box speakers?

The guy was actually asking for 800, I said I cant go beyond 500. Then we kind of thought 600 was the right way to go about it.

If you have done the negotiating then there is no slack and we are comparing like with like. So does a price saving of about £150(ish) for used rather than new look a good deal? Or more like what one would expect?

Someone earlier suggested the margins on the KEFs was only 30%. Can anyone confirm this? Is it typical these days for the main home audio products (not accessories like cables)? I noticed when I briefly looked up the price of the speakers all the UK outlets seemed to be advertising the same price with only Sevenoakes having knocked off 10% for a while in the past. This suggests that KEF are not supplying the low price internet box shifters. Is this typical for the leading brands?

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Well i called up the guy over phone today, he claims the speakers are not returns. He brought them in a sealed package and used them in the demo room for around 15 hours over a week.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Excited about my demoing tomorrow. Here is what I have picked out for playing:

CDs: America self titled, van Halen self titled and Alice in chains unplugged

vinyl: black sabbath paranoid, Queen a night at the Opera and Ramones self titled.

SteveR750

FahadAhmed said:

vinyl: black sabbath paranoid, Queen a night at the Opera and Ramones self titled.

What, no Diana Krall or Aphex Twin? Can't be a proper demo then ;)
Enjoy it!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
FahadAhmed said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Just the thing you absolutely need to do, to know your own mind never mind others opinions. I trust you will find enlightenment and let us know what you decide to do.
Yes, a home demo is better than just a shop demo.

Trouble is, what's missing is a selection of other speakers he could buy for £1000.

All he'll have to compare them against is his Tannoy DC6T's.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
[/quote]Yes, a home demo is better than just a shop demo.

Trouble is, what's missing is a selection of other speakers he could buy for £1000.

[/quote]

I tried the following speakers within the 1000 (and slighlty higher) range previously...

B&W 683, zensor 7, MA silver 7, Mission SX3 etc. Its not like they are not good. Except for Zensor 7, they all sounded better than my DC6T. It's just the R500 sounded a whole lot better for which I considered spending the money.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, a home demo is better than just a shop demo.

[/quote]

I tried the following speakers within the 1000 (and slighlty higher) range previously...

B&W 683, zensor 7, MA silver 7, Mission SX3 etc. Its not like they are not good. Except for Zensor 7, they all sounded better than my DC6T. It's just the R500 sounded a whole lot better for which I considered spending the money.

[/quote]

If you think the R300s are that much better then I would take the deal, seems like a good one. Presume you still have the full warranty, maybe worth checking the history of them before paying.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
FahadAhmed said:

What, no Diana Krall or Aphex Twin? Can't be a proper demo then ;) Enjoy it!

ANd what about Lauryn Hill *biggrin*

SteveR750

Helmut80 said:
ANd what about Lauryn Hill
biggrin.gif

Who??

I'm surprised that Madeleine Peyroux and Keb 'Mo haven't become audiofools favourites, given the quality of their recordings.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
B&W 683, Dali Zensor 7, MA silver, Mission SX3 are all slimline ported budget speakers with small bass cones. If that's the only type of speaker that you like, then you might like Royd Minstrel speakers a lot. It's also possible that you might prefer speakers from a different genre for your £1k budget.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
So brought home the speakers, the sound as expected is amazing. But while getting the speaker out of the box, i chipped a corner. What a day to get all clumsy. Now the piano black finish has a chipped corner. Not very visible from a distance but I know its there :(

SteveR750

FahadAhmed said:
So brought home the speakers, the sound as expected is amazing. But while getting the speaker out of the box, i chipped a corner. What a day to get all clumsy. Now the piano black finish has a chipped corner. Not very visible from a distance but I know its there :(

Ouch! At least your floor is intact, mine isn't after trying several positions. A wood laminate floor and 30Kg balanced on a couple of cones is never going to be without problems.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
FahadAhmed said:

Black nail varnish and a steady hand my friend.

I did exactly the same thing with my R700's. I was using my foot to help me lift one up and a shoelace loop caught the lacquer and pulled a small amount off. The nail varnish worked a treat.

hg said:
FahadAhmed said:
hg said:
Why is it £450 off for an open box? Surely a more reasonable calculation is the difference between the price you would expect to pay for new unopened box speakers and the price asked for the opened box speakers??

The guy was actually asking for 800, I said I cant go beyond 500. Then we kind of thought 600 was the right way to go about it.?

If you have done the negotiating then there is no slack and we are comparing like with like. So does a price saving of about £150(ish) for used rather than new look a good deal? Or more like what one would expect?

Someone earlier suggested the margins on the KEFs was only 30%. Can anyone confirm this? Is it typical these days for the main home audio products (not accessories like cables)? I noticed when I briefly looked up the price of the speakers all the UK outlets seemed to be advertising the same price with only Sevenoakes having knocked off 10% for a while in the past. This suggests that KEF are not supplying the low price internet box shifters. Is this typical for the leading brands?

Some brands including Kef do not allow online orders. They can only be bought from a physical shop.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
hg said:
FahadAhmed said:
hg said:

Some brands including Kef do not allow online orders. They can only be bought from a physical shop.

Don't think that is true, the Kef R series can be order online but you need to collect from a dealer, some others like LS50 can be ordered online and delivered to your address.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
FahadAhmed said:

Really pleased you like them. They are very good speakers.

Shame about the chip but as others have suggested this can be "touched up" and you won't notice it after a while.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS