Am I a fool to pass this by?

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't actually planning on buying speakers anytime soon. But when I was casually passing by my trusted Hifi store, the store owner called me in saying he has a fantastic deal for me. He played a pair of KEF R500s for me and i did like what I heard. Then he told me that I have the option of trading in my 2 year old tannoy DC 6t, add another 600 pounds and walk away a happy owner of a brand new pair of R500s. Now I am having sleepless nights wondering whether i should give into the temptation. Anybody with suggestions?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You are getting almost the original, full list price for some two year old speakers in PX for some new ones. You might get £450 for them on eBay if you were very, very lucky (minus fees = £400 net).

If you prefer the way that the R500's sound then I would say yes, you would be a fool to pass that deal by. They are very, very fine loudspeakers.

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
FahadAhmed said:
I wasn't actually planning on buying speakers anytime soon.

Then why purchase what you don't need?

Will you really be getting a bargain from a dealer? Are the speakers new in an unopenned box or "new" in an openned box? What would be the price for the KEFs if you negotiated? Would you get a better deal in the future when you do want to change your speakers?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
hg said:
FahadAhmed said:

Will you really be getting a bargain from a dealer? Are the speakers new in an unopenned box or "new" in an openned box? What would be the price for the KEFs if you negotiated? Would you get a better deal in the future when you do want to change your speakers?

Nah. Buy 'em.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
hg said:
FahadAhmed said:

I am not sure, there is something wrong with me

The speakers are new but opened box, this guys usually gives me good deals. While upgrading, I usually return my older stuff to him and he adjusts the price.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Do you prefer them to the Tannoy's?

Do you have £600 to spare?

Do they sound like they're worth the extra £600 to your ears?

If the answer is yes to all three questions is yes then go for it as it seems like a pretty good deal.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Do you prefer them to the Tannoy's?

Do you have £600 to spare?

Do they sound like they're worth the extra £600 to your ears?

Well to be frank, it did sound a lot better than the tannoys, hard to put a price tag on that though. The dealer was running the speakers with Yamaha R-N500. Maybe my Moon can generate better results.

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
FahadAhmed said:
Yup they are shiny brand new, opened box though

Then they are not brand new. Are they ex-demos? Are they returns? Whatever they are it would be unreasonable to value them at full retail price.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
hg said:
FahadAhmed said:
Yup they are shiny brand new, opened box though

Then they are not brand new. Are they ex-demos? Are they returns? Whatever they are it would be unreasonable to value them at full retail price.

They aren't. If they are £1,500 and the current speakers are worth £450 then new they would be £1,050. They are offering them for £600. That's £450 off for an open box which is probably a return and obviously can't be sold as new, but still it is a good price.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
This thread is a great example of man maths.

Man maths sounds about right, my better half never seems to understand.

Not the first time I got a deal like this from my Hifi dealer. About a year ago I upgraded my AV receiver from yamaha rxv 667 to pioneer sc-lx82 (New and open box ofcourse) I just paid him around 450 pounds for the upgrade.

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
JoelSim said:
They aren't. If they are £1,500 and the current speakers are worth £450 then new they would be £1,050. They are offering them for £600. That's £450 off for an open box which is probably a return and obviously can't be sold as new, but still it is a good price.

Why is it a good price? It looks more like a normal price to me. If the OP thinks it is a normal deal rather than a good deal it may help him sleep.

Why is it £450 off for an open box? Surely a more reasonable calculation is the difference between the price you would expect to pay for new unopened box speakers and the price asked for the opened box speakers? Perhaps times have changed (anyone?) but I negotiated significantly less than list price for a pair of new unopened box KEF speakers with free cables about ten years ago. Unfortunately I cannot recall the exact figures but at a guess it would have been about 10-25% off. No trade in. Is that what one expect these days?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If you don't get them you'll crusify your self for a long time... The same happen to me when I meet my wife, she came in a "open box" as well, and I still got her... Or the other way arround...*unknw*

SteveR750

hg said:
JoelSim said:

Why is it a good price? It looks more like a normal price to me. If the OP thinks it is a normal deal rather than a good deal it may help him sleep.

Why is it £450 off for an open box? Surely a more reasonable calculation is the difference between the price you would expect to pay for new unopened box speakers and the price asked for the opened box speakers? Perhaps times have changed (anyone?) but I negotiated significantly less than list price for a pair of new unopened box KEF speakers with free cables about ten years ago. Unfortunately I cannot recall the exact figures but at a guess it would have been about 10-25% off. No trade in. Is that what one expect these days?

£450 against £1500 is about 30%, better than you managed all those years ago!

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
My other half doesn't get man maths either. A recent example: "These speakers cost £2200 brand new. I can get a 2nd hand pair in great condition for £750. That means I have saved £1450! Its a no brainer!"

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
hg said:
JoelSim said:

Man Maths & phenominal negotiating skills, congrats you played a stormer.

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
SteveR750 said:

Not at all. I bought new speakers not used ones like the OP is proposing to do. My previous post was about determining a reasonable figure for new vs used. So if we forget the cables and take a negotiated, say, 20% off (£300) that gives a £150 price reduction for new versus used. Worth having but not a "good deal" and so the OP can sleep happily knowing he has not missed a bargain.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
There are 2 ways of looking at this.

1. If your heart is set on the R500's then this is a good deal and you should go for it.

2. Are the R500's the best speakers for you for a net outlay of about £1000? That's impossible for me to say as speakers are such a personal thing. For my tastes there are plenty of other speakers that I would take over the R500's for £1000. For your tastes FahadAhmed, the R500's might be the optimum speakers, or they might not.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
hg said:
JoelSim said:

Quite. My A level maths says that is 30% too which is pretty much the full dealer margin after costs. The list price is £1,500 and the dealer is offering them for £1,050 just because of an open box. Presuming this is a return rather than a refurb/second hand that is great value.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts