Alternatives to SONOS

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

relocated said:
I look forward to you both being just as concerned and outspoken when I get accused of 'shilling' in the future.

I don't believe you shill. See my previous comment about overexuberance though. This sometimes (see also: all...the...time) boils over into rudeness and accusations towards both myself and others which might get you banned if I had the agenda some people on other forums claim of me.

I would say this though: it might sometimes be worth discussing what you had before you got ADMs - then people might at least have some context in which to place your opinions. I'm not sure I've ever seen any mention of that here.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
relocated said:
I look forward to you both being just as concerned and outspoken when I get accused of 'shilling' in the future.

How would an actual AVI Shill behave differently from you or any other typical AVI fan? A Shill would use virtually every opportunity to recommend their brand. Current AVI fans do the same. So for anyone who doesn't know better, they could very well come to the conclusion that you or any number of AVI fans are shills.

While I doubt that most AVI fans on this forum (including yourself) are shills, I do feel that if you want people to stop accusing you of being one, then the simple solution is to stop acting like one. If I took every opportunity to promote my favourite brand, I would likely be accussed of being a shill too.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
You will have to educate me on this shill terminology.

Is it someone who blatently illegaly advertises, if so I know who you mean..............

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
You will have to educate me on this shill terminology.

Is it someone who blatently illegaly advertises, if so I know who you mean..............

From Wikipedia:

"Shill"[/b] typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression he is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom he is secretly working.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
When, oh when are certain people going to recognize that recommendations made by me are not intended for the regulars on here? When I pass on my AVI experience it is predominately to new members or people who ask a specific question about AVI or active speakers.

I can understand that seeing me regularly recommend AVI could get up peoples noses. But it isn't about you, it isn't for you, it is predominately for the uninitiated or people asking a specific question.

There are whole areas of this forum that I have never looked in/contributed to. I exercise choice just like everyone else can, no-one is forced to read what I say so just ignore it. Life's too short.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
relocated said:
There are whole areas of this forum that I have never looked in/contributed to.

I've never understood that, people don't surely click along into each sub-section of the forum to see what's in there do they? Surely everyone just refreshes the active threads list every few minutes? It's not so busy here that you can't keep up with it.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
relocated said:

I don't believe you shill. See my previous comment about overexuberance though. This sometimes (see also: all...the...time) boils over into rudeness and accusations towards both myself and others which might get you banned if I had the agenda some people on other forums claim of me.

I would say this though: it might sometimes be worth discussing what you had before you got ADMs - then people might at least have some context in which to place your opinions. I'm not sure I've ever seen any mention of that here.

Well JD, I am pleased that you don't believe I 'shill'. Though that makes me wonder why people who accuse me of it are allowed free rein, even when I make a specific complaint about it. In fact my complaint, so far as I am aware, was not even acknowledged, very poor form.

I haven't seen your previous overexuberance comment.

I accept that my tongue can, for some people who are determined to be insulted, be sharp. More often than not what gets to people is that I point out people's errors and pull their arguments apart. Just like I did with you earlier in this thread. So I'm not being rude, but I am annoyingly pedantic when countering unjustified criticism and inaccuracy.

As to what my equipment experience is? I have at various times revealed elements of my hifi past. But do you really think my detracters want me trotting out my pedigree when they can't stand what I post to novices and questioning members? What I will say is that before I purchased my 9Ts, I had been auditioning up to £6k passive speakers recommended to me by dealers and their recommended amplification and it was a no-contest. Dealers, by the way, that contribute on this forum and others.

Over 40 years of owning, listening to and selling hifi I have spent at least a reasonable time listening to equipment by a huge number of notable manufacturers. That is only relevant really when I recount that the AVI ADM 9T have been the most revelatory first listen I ever had and that since owning ADMs I have never had the urge to 'tweak', which was a constant in my previous hifi life. I don't do 'mine's bigger than yours' and I have never told anyone that, "I gave up a £5/10/20k passive system for £1075 AVI ADM 9Ts''.

Unfortunately some people on here will do whatever they can to minimise or disrupt information about AVI products. I understand that there has been, allegedly, bad behaviour by individuals linked to AVI, but my firm belief is that this is firmly in the past and historical allegations have no currency for me when talking to a new member on here. Let he who is without sin etc.

If you feel that I have done you wrong JD, then I shall be happy to rectify that, if you provide me with the evidence of my wrong-doing in the full context of its saying. Not directed at you but, people cry foul for all sorts of reasons; some justified, some pathetic and everything inbetween. It doesn't mean as a fact, that a foul was ever committed or intended.

Cheers

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Prob gong to go down the Sonos route and when funds allow maybe add a DAC, will look at the latest issue of WHF to see what they have in their review/test as it could be used with the PS3 and a HDD if required

Cheers for all the replies, even the ones I didn't understand!! :)

Tommo

ubermusik

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
I think there is still a lack of a true alternative to Sonos.

In an attempt to get back on topic, here are 2 cents from the new guy. I'm an installation tech for a local AV company so I've been able to see some systems in the field and at the store.

I agree with Overdose. I think there are a lot of attempts to compete with Sonos, but no one does it quite as well. Or at least not yet. In my searching for alternatives, here is what I came across (listed alphabetically):

"audio|acacia" by Plethra

This one is a pretty cool concept. Its a software-based approach (so you can bring your own hardware) and is able to play to AirPlay devices. Since you bring your own hardware, the level of fidelity is dependent on the hardware used. Decent internet source support and very good iTunes support. It is in a free public beta release and it will be interesting to see how it progresses. The "value-added' hardware they show on the website looks awesome, but its not out yet.

"Bluesound" by NAD

I was sorely disappointed with this product. Their iOS app doesn't feel very crisp and it is obvious a portion of it is a web app. Ocassionaly when changing settings on the units, it wouldn't load the CSS so all I got was a generic HTML webpage. The Vault is a cool product in theory, but I had a heck of a time getting the Bluesound system to see my lossless iTunes library on my Mac. The source support is also lacking, but continues to grow. Maybe I'll revisit this one once it has matured.

"CasaTunes" by CasaTools

This one has been around a while now and has yet to add support for additional popular sources such as Pandora. I've experimented around with this in the past and had mixed feelings. Great concept, but falls short. You used to be able to buy just their software, which was awesome if you had a bunch of existing stereo equipment, but now you have to buy it bundled with their hardware. I'm not sure this alternative will cut it.

"Linn" by Linn Products

I have no experience with this product.

"Jongo" by Pure

"Olive" by Olive

This one seems overpriced for what you get. The mobile app is pretty basic. I didn't get much time to play with this. Other than that, I have no experience with this product.

"Shape" by Samsung

I'm not sure this is even out yet. We'll see were it goes.

"simple audio" by Simple Audio

I've never used this product, but the UI looks very clean and supports 24-bit. The concept is spot on. I'd like to give it a try sometime. However, I'm not sure I would consider this a true alternative to Sonos since it lacks the "multi-room synchronization" capability. They claim it is coming, but they said that almost 18 months ago now.

"Soundtouch" by Bose

I have no experience with this product, but at least it has support for the big guys like Spotify and Pandora.

"Teufel" by Raumfeld

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts