Alternative to Oppo BD93?

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'd like to free up some cash and can get a decent price for my Oppo BD 93 in the secondhand market.

I would need to replace it with a blu-ray player though and i've the following requirements

1) Needs to have dual hdmi outputs for 3d to tv, lossless to non 1.4 hdmi receiver
2) Have excellent playback of video formats stored on ntfs hard drives, iso support would be nice
3) Be whisper quiet in operation (major requirement)
4) Be able to play 3d blu-rays as per point 1

Any suggestions worth looking at in the 100 to 150 pounds price range?

Cheers,
Mick

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the Pioneer BDP-450 might be a decent alternative but at 250 pounds doesnt leave a lot of room for harvesting profit from the sale of the Oppo...

D

Deleted member 2457

micks_address said:
Looks like the Pioneer BDP-450 might be a decent alternative but at 250 pounds doesnt leave a lot of room for harvesting profit from the sale of the Oppo...

AVLand doing the 450 for £229! What's wrong with your Oppo then? :?

D

Deleted member 2457

Just read a review of the 450 on Trusted Reviews and it sounds pretty good.

D

Deleted member 2457

jjbomber said:
gel said:
What's wrong with your Oppo then? :?

Read the first 7 words of his post again. And again. And again. :wall:

Yeah but most (if not all ), would have the Oppo over the Pioneer is why I am asking? All I have seen is that it could be noisy as a problem, because he is asking for the next one to be quiet.

As far as I'm aware, Oppo plays one of the widest known formats (except iso). I don't think the Pioneer or the Panasonic or the Sony options offer such a wide multi format support.

This one will fit your budget & satisfy all your requirements (also plays iso):

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/35968064/ASUS-OPlay-3D-Blu-Ray-HD-Media-Player-2-x-HDMI-Composite-Component-USB-RJ-45-WiFi/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:35968064%7Cprd:35968064

http://uk.asus.com/Multimedia/Bluray_HD_Media_Player/OPlay_BDS700/

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I haven't seen the player myself so can't comment on performance.

This looked a fascinating option. I did a little research, however, and found the following account on AVS Forums

I just got this player.

Build quality looks great, has option for English.

You can choose 1080p/60 for hdmi out.

There are already 2 firmwares on their site, for NTSC choose that version and pal choose that.

Menu is basic and easy and fast. Nice!!!!

Only supports dlna but I knew this.

Here is what I found.

- to start off the YouTube can play HD videos. Cool, nice touch.

- using your smart phone to control it was sweet and you can use your smart device to enter text for you tube, etc. Nice!!!

The bad........

Tried several dlna servers, like mezzmo, twonky, Nero home 4, but get crazy stuttering. Audio will also kick out and in when stuttering.

When playing same files from USB connected, all was smoother, but, still stuttered once in a while!!!!!

ISO BD 3d from USB did play in 3D and menus. However, again had stuttering on some movies!!!!

My cheap WD, egreat r300, and dune 3.0 all can play same files (except 3D iso) without stutteing from both USB and dlna.

I am waiting for my 2nd unit to arrive in few days and will test with that to see if my 1st unit is faulty!!!

So far VERY UNIMPRESSED!!!! Expected better from ASUS especially when they are using same chip as Oppo bdp-93!!!!

Can't beleive it can't even stream hd video without stuttering when my other players do just fine!!!

Again, might be bad unit, but doubt it!!!!

Also to top things off, tried playing few MKV blu-ray files I made with makemkv, and when it tried to play file via dlna it said unsupported format!!

Again, all my other media players will steam same files!!

When playing that same MKV from USB drive, it played..

Note: I live in Canada, and player works with NTSC and 120v power.

Will keep you all posted when I try 2nd unit.

As of now ..... STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLAYER!!!!!

Go for the buggy realtek players as they are way better than this!!!!

I'd be a little wary myself, you really never know what you're getting with cloned products.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
gel said:
He wants to raise cash from the Oppo and have some of it's important qualities/features in the new lower budget machine.

That's how I read it anyway.

Yep, I was just wondering was the Oppo noisy? Because he asked for the new one to be quiet. But yep, he wants to raise some cash is his primary concern.

michael hoy

gel said:
chebby said:
gel said:
He wants to raise cash from the Oppo and have some of it's important qualities/features in the new lower budget machine.

That's how I read it anyway.

Yep, I was just wondering was the Oppo noisy? Because he asked for the new one to be quiet. But yep, he wants to raise some cash is his primary concern.

The 93 is not noisy at all, no fan.

I have a 95 with a fan, and so far not noisy either.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Michael, please can you sort your quoting out a bit on that last one? It looks like you posted what I said.

Not important here maybe, but if lots of people get the quoting wrong then no-one knows who said what.

Cheers.

[Done - MODS]

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:
I'd be a little wary myself, you really never know what you're getting with cloned products.

Why is it a cloned product, simply because it uses the same chip as Oppo? :?

Cloned is probably too strong a strong term, though online discussion has framed the BDP/media player as a cheap but viable alternative to the Oppo, since it shares certain components. In reality it looks a fairly dodgy substitute that doesn't come close to matching the Oppo's performance.

I think in this case the old maxim holds true, you only get what you pay for. Shame, as I got quite excited when first reading about the Asus, though I'm glad I investigated further.

strapped for cash said:
In reality it looks a fairly dodgy substitute that doesn't come close to matching the Oppo's performance.

"Reality" is too strong a term if you haven't assessed its performance yourself. Based on the forum discussions I've read so far, I get the impression that the blu ray / DVD performance is on par with the Oppo, but the media streaming capabilities is a big letdown (which is surprising, considering Asus being a technology company should have at least excelled in that).

My main concern is the lack of a decent dealer network.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:
In reality it looks a fairly dodgy substitute that doesn't come close to matching the Oppo's performance.

"Reality" is too strong a term if you haven't assessed its performance yourself. Based on the forum discussions I've read so far, I get the impression that the blu ray / DVD performance is on par with the Oppo, but the media streaming capabilities is a big letdown (which is surprising, considering Asus being a technology company should have at least excelled in that).

And I thought I was pedantic. If I really wanted to, I could highlight a grammatical error in your post, but I do my best to shy away from such commentary.

Substitute whichever term you think appropriate. Besides, you're no better situated to make claims about performance, but you're still keen to extol the Asus's virtues as DVD/Blu-ray spinner. Based on what I've read, the Asus also has problems with 3D Blu-ray playback, though that's perhaps not a priority for everyone.

I honestly wasn't looking for a squabble. I merely wanted to draw attention to views on the player from an actual owner.

"Reality" is also a highly unstable term and we could have a long and complex philosophical debate about its meaning. (I'm guessing you'd prefer not to.)

strapped for cash said:
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:

Besides, you're no better situated to make claims about performance, but you're still keen to extol the Asus's virtues as DVD/Blu-ray spinner.

I've not made any claims myself (highlighted for your convenience).

I'm merely stating what I thought after reading the discussions, which was different to what you thought. :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Likewise, I made it very clear in my first post on this thread that I was presenting the views of an owner. I quoted them in full and merely commented on the quote.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll agree this isn't worth either of us losing any sleep over... :)

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Sorry I missed all the posts over the weekend. My only motivation for selling the Oppo would be to free up some cash. I love it in every respect and to be honest I dont think I'd do it. The pioneer looks like a good option but i'd want to be getting a good price for the Oppo and clear at least 100 pounds in the deal to make me consider it. I think i'll try and save that money elsewhere!

Thanks for all the suggestions and input though. Oh and the Oppo is not noisey..

Cheers,
Mick

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i could if my wife and kids hadnt dented all the corners at this stage by dropping it on the floor so much... still though.. its one device i wouldnt be without :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts